My spec v sps build

hawkfish01

Well heres the first new photos of my new tank:fluval spec v tank

In-tank media container(coming in dec)

Neo therm heater(cobalt)

Stock pump

Koralia 240 circulation pump(coming soon)

D-120 led light

5-6# dry rock

Black moon beach live sand

Posted ImagePosted Image

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking good...jealous you're already getting started. What wattage neotherm did you go with? I'm a fan of jager, but that cobalt is pretty cool.

Doesnt it seem like a d120 is going to nuke everything in this tank? 55 high powered LEDs over a shallow 5 gallon tank? Spec v builds I have seen on RC used like 10 cree and still dimmed them.

I have a Spec V fantasy too. Will be watching how yours goes.

My neo therm is a 50 watt(bedroom isnt heated during a.m.) i did the rockwork about 30 minutes before i left for work...the d-120 will definately be dimmed.. Im thinking the whites about 40% power to start,then ramp up slowly...prob about 60% in end...hoping any lps i do decide to put in dont hate me in the end....prob making wet on sat p.m.or sunday sometime..have a heater i can use while im waiting for a part for neo..then in 1st weeks of dec in tank has media container for this tank coming out....then a plexi cover for filter chamber or use the lid included(has BIG hole in top) depends on evap...calc/alk tests at standby when needed...can you tell im stoked?? 8)

Ok..bracket for heater came in a huge box..glad i got free shipping,so after getting media bags tanks goin wet sunday...yipee!! I will b puttin 1 gal of biocube change water into the 5, then using clean water to finish...pics to come after wet...8)

that's good news! were you waiting on a normal visitherm suction cup mount or did you pick up something different?  also, I read on BRS the min water level is 5.5" on these smaller ones...which is supposed to be the height of the 'bezel'. i'm unclear what exactly that means...can you shed any light on that since you have one in hand? 

looking forward to seeing a wet pic :-)

I have a neotherm 50w from cobalt.. No one carries parts so had to order..took 2-3 days to get here.. Submersion on my spec v isnt a prob..full coverage..8)

Well...weve gone wet!! Im plzd with rockwork,heater is acclimating for plug-in,just need my koralia nano 240 and my in tank media cage and im set..8) added 1gal change water from biocube and put in bio bacter by brightwell..question,should i have any kind of lite cycle(say 2 hours) or just go dark...Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

I like how it turned out. I have a koralia 240 as we'll in my spec v and I don't think it provides enough flow. I would also recommend upgrading the return pump as the factory one seems to clog very easily and it's a pain to be constantly messing with it.

Tried as best could to not put a real deep bed in..guess looks thick bcause trim on tank is black also..now the waiting game starts...couldnt do bb,just dint care for it even though easier to clean,have some frags(gorgonias)that still have plug ends nstead of disks..8( question,if i decide to replace my filter pump,which would b a good choice..? Heard marineland 606,but needs lots if mods,would tank b ok since i will be using a koralia nano 240 for water curculation?? Should be more than enuf water movement for sps.... Where r u st with ur tank matt??

I havent upgraded the return, but that is something I need to do in the near future if I want to keep this tank. The 606 seems to be an easy mod from what I researched. I don't think the 240 will be enough flow for sps. You will see what I'm talking about once you put it in the tank. I would need to upgrade that as well. I also wish I didn't put a substrate on the bottom. Stuff gets really dirty in my V. Are you planing on keeping any fish? You're planing on doing more frequent wc's so shouldn't be too much of a problem. I do mine once a month. Too lazy to do it more frequently.

I change religiously every sat or sun morning... I also have a koralia 425 also if not happy with 240... Prob 1-2 fish if any... Maybe a hermit and a fire or cleaner shrimp..

Cliff..ur tight..spare 240 is not gonna get it once stocked..guess i will be going a step up.. Koralia 420/425 nano... Should be strong enuf...240 good for cycling i guess...

I was disappointed with the 240 as well. It's very weak. Good luck with your tank. I still enjoy mine. It's got all my zoas and mushrooms. I might take it down after I get my big tank set up. I don't like having multiple tanks to care for.

Cliff..did u plug that small slit in the outer filter chamber face or did u leave it open??? I left open but can still plug if needed...

Im using floss on top with purigen and phosban in compartment below floss..waiting for in tank to be able to prevent some water bypass..may also have to plug slit in bottom of filter compartment front wall... See how in tank does w/o the plug first,then if needed can pkug with reef epoxy..8)

Is it unusual to have cloudy(barely) after starting a new tank?? Has been running for 24 hours now.... I cant remember if my biocube was or not.... I do have floss in place now; didnt before..