Cbashaw's 93 cube build. 30x30x24 lots of pics

cbashaw

(edited)

I did some work on the tank today. I still have a long way to go and very little free time until after the holidays so I probably won't do much other than get the cycle started between now and then.

6e9bf54e7466db4dc34c0eca16634a9a_zpsd26c

8830b3d126091f4f244a4ec14fd50b2c_zps01ce

Edited by cbashaw

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Luckily the govt was closed today so I got a little more done. I still need to paint but the primer is on and I did a little work on the crown moulding.

6dc042a1b884aed0bf48312211cb6ac4_zpscaa5

Thanks for all the compliments :)

I'm leaving for Ecuador tomorrow (getting married on Saturday) and won't be back for 3 weeks. I put powerheads and a heater directly into the tank. If I just drop some shrimp in the tank to start the cycle is there anything else I need to worry about when I'm gone? I have the tank full but not the sump, to reduce the risk of any disasters. If I don't hook up my ato will the change in salinity cause any problems since there is nothing live in the tank? I'm assuming evap will be minimal at his time of year, and the lights will be off the entire time.

I had a crazy idea, of course I need approval from the boss but I'm wondering if there is some type of aquatic plant I could put on the shelf above the tank that could be fed by the tank. I was thinking of mangroves but I think they would grow too tall.

Another possibility would be to have an herb garden up there.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Mangroves will need some good light, and from my experience don't grow incredibly fast, so I would scratch getting too tall. Keep in mind that the roots would feed down into what I presume would be the top of your display. Are you talking about using the saltwater to grow an herb garden in your second idea? You will kill them in saltwater, so I would scratch that idea, or keep your herb garden separate from your tank water.

There are alot of plants that grow in/around .....unfortunently, none of them are tank sized...and most truly live in more of a marsh/brackish...the little bit of fresh water they do get is what keeps them alive..cat tails, some lillies are the first few that comes to mind...

• 2 weeks later...

I decided that for now I will just put some decorations on the shelf until the tank is up and then I will explore the herb garden option later because it can become a big project in itself.

I also just ordered 2 24" actinic led strips from rapid led so I will get those together as soon as I get home.

Has anyone tried using the tunze classic power heads? I was surprised to see they still make them. I know they don't have a wide flow pattern but they would be very easy to hide.

I decided that for now I will just put some decorations on the shelf until the tank is up and then I will explore the herb garden option later because it can become a big project in itself.

I also just ordered 2 24" actinic led strips from rapid led so I will get those together as soon as I get home.

Has anyone tried using the tunze classic power heads? I was surprised to see they still make them. I know they don't have a wide flow pattern but they would be very easy to hide.

Careful with those classic Tunze powerheads. I put on my 135 gallon fraf tank to replace my MP40 when the wetside went bad and the flow was unreal . Had to defuse the flow because they are not controllable. Although they last forever. I have (3) 6100.10 series that need impellers and I plan on reusing them with the multi controller

I used to have a 6100 on my old tank, they are monsters and are way too powerful, the one I'm asking about is the older style where the motor is out of the water. They don't have the wide flow like the stream pumps.

Like the black one further down on this page

http://www.paraquatics.co.uk/contents/en-uk/d11.html

They are 634gph

I used to have a 6100 on my old tank, they are monsters and are way too powerful, the one I'm asking about is the older style where the motor is out of the water. They don't have the wide flow like the stream pumps.

Like the black one further down on this page

http://www.paraquatics.co.uk/contents/en-uk/d11.html

They are 634gph

Yes they are sweet and a true Classic!!!! I love old Tunze equipment. I have a whole Comline system in a box some where. 

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a few updates. After coming back from my trip the tank had cycled but the salinity had gone up to 1.034 due to not having my ato setup.

I took the t5s out of my light fixture and replaced them with 2 24" actinic strips from rapid led. I love the color of the lights but wish I had gone with the screw in set up over the adhesive because it was messy.

3089cee55700dc1641664fd3f4768887_zps1834

I set up my herbie overflow and put a durso on the emergency drain. It's pretty quiet now but I will play with it later to get it perfect.

Yesterday I put the fish and corals from my 29g in. They seem happy with the extra space.

bb57dfa4d1cca3eb01a4d8357b677589_zps3c43

I'm still trying to dial in the wp25 it blows sand around in one position and blows water out of the tank in another. I'm on the fence about keeping it. I may replace it with a few maxi jets since I can make them completely hidden.

efc4ccdad86c3c6a114a0cac44c3b521_zps2e8e

• 3 weeks later...

It's been a while since I've updated. I decided that I'm going to order cabinet doors I just can't make them as nice as I would like with the tools I have.

I also made a few changes

1 Added a reef keeper controller with a temp and a ph probe to control my lights and heater.

2 Replaced my sump with a 29g tank so I could raise the water and I replaced the last foot of the pipe connected to the return pump from PVC to rubber hose so now the tank is silent even with the doors off.

3 traded my wp25 for a tunze 6045 which seems to be working much better for me and bought an OM squirt at the meeting that I plan to plumb up to the return soon.

4 added cleanup crew and a few corals.

Front view

086741aff2a0e979bd1b0128d02bf2ae_zpsdd99

Side view

5f936d6c64135bc51b7ec6920828b45b_zpse9bb

I plan to replace the auto top off tank from a 10g to a15 so I don't have to refill it as often, and I Willkie be adding a kalk reactor to my top off soon.

Here's the sump

9e840b135e1c5e838470cf7d5650f7d5_zps01ba

Solid work on the cube....just picked one up myself and may PM you with some questions. Keep us posted on the progress.

No problem I will be glad to help.