Coral Grafting?

NateCamReef

I will be attempting it with my montis now that I've seen this. I've seen them grow into each other, but not quite like what's shown in the picture.

Some here have tried it a few years ago. Rob (Zygote2k) may have been one. I don't know if DaveS tried this or not. The results can be good or not so good. (Lotta help there, huh?) It depends upon if the two corals tolerate one another or go to war and sting one another. It's easy enough to put a couple of frags together and find out, though.

I didn't actually try grafting.  I was looking into a different idea which got sidelined by life...

As far as monti's, I've seen the ones where you glue one monti color next to another, eventually had one simply outgrew the other.  Didn't get anything like that picture in the article.

I have seen actual color grafts before though and they are pretty cool.  Treesprite had lots of weird stuff going on with her Idaho Grape.

All my grafted encrusting montis didnt work. One has always over grown the other. I do have a frag of that plating monti from WWC pictured in the article. It is doing well and looks very cool. But all the ones i have done have not worked out.

I mixed 5 types of montipora together. They all grew at different rates and some tolerated others well in close proximity. They never did "graft" like the article states. The one in the picture is probably a single coral with some color mixing issues. Stony corals do this sometimes. Treesprite had her green and purple Idaho grape and I had a brown miilie that grew flourescent stripes.

I did this more than 10 years ago with some M caps... the problem I had wasn't tolerance, but that one grew far faster than the other (orange overtook the green and purple) and after about a year of solid growth, it was hard to tell them apart.  The nice part though was that from above, some of the colors had created swirls/cups inside the others that looked nice, you just couldn't see them from the front of the tank.

I was considering this for some acros (A. mille's) that are similar, although I'm not sure how it will work as each will probably grow its own branches.