legal to harvest zoanthids in puerto rico?

sparker

I have been looking around the net but havn't really seen anything about it. I know taking hard corals would be super illegal ... but can't seem to find specifics on zoanthids or soft corals. I am considering a trip there this weekend (flight benefits ftw) and I thought it would be cool to bring some polyps back, but only if I can do it legally. My research leads me to believe some fish collection would be alright with a non resident fishing license and I think some inverts too. Anyone have any idea? I will probably end up giving thier DNR a call to see what they say. (I will wait to call when I have a fluent spanish speaking friend handy, just incase) heh thanks for reading : )

I don't know about collecting there and their local laws but I think you might have an issue at customs if they search your bag. If coming back into Flarida it might be even worse as they have more regulations in that state. You might need some kind of permit or documentation to show they are not covered under the CITES program. Maybe a call to Fish & Wildlife would help clear up some questions, 1-800-344-9453.

Thanks for the advice. Also I didn't think I had to go through customs to go to/from puerto rico ( I have no idea, if I end up going this would bethe first time I have left the mainland USA.) Heh since I waited til 3 days before I want to leave to start making plans it kinda put me in a bind, might have to scrap the plans for collection on this trip. (or maybe I'll just go to florida, lol)

I was born in PR but moved to the states in 2002. When i was there i was a teenager and kind of ignorant. I collected stuff from the beach such as rock, emerald crabs, nerite snails & i found zoanthids ine time. My tank was full atlantic, even the sand.. Zoanthids where green and in tank turned this pale blue with yellow rim. Kind of ugly comparing to when i found them and to be honest, almost all corals that are collected in the wild change colors once they are introduced to a different environment... I soon realized that i had a bunch of mantis in my tank so i released everything back to where i found it and left the hobby for a while. If i could have done it again, i would be scared to be caught, again i was ignorant and most of us have been sometime in our lives jeje. I suggest you find some info and do it the legal way just to be safe

Thanks for the suggestions Neto. Just to make it clear I will only do this if/when I can confirm that it is legal. I am not going to risk a huge fine or time in jail for a frag or two. BTW Neto, anything in PR you would suggest doing/seeing?

I would check with Fish and Wildlife but there shouldn't be any sort of CITES as they are not entering a new country. You can ship coral back from PR to your Home no issue but the collection I am unsure of in PR. I have a few customers who have ordered that live in PR and nothing special in terms of needing to declare anything. Just find out if it illegal to collect there and if not, let me know, Ill gladly create you a shipping label so you can get a good discount on your shipment!

Thanks for the suggestions Neto. Just to make it clear I will only do this if/when I can confirm that it is legal. I am not going to risk a huge fine or time in jail for a frag or two. BTW Neto, anything in PR you would suggest doing/seeing?

As far as tourism you can go to the following:

1. El morro

2. El yunque forest

3. Culebra Island, Flamenco beach

4. Bacardi rum Distillery

5. Caja de muerto Island (beach)

6. Gilligans island (beach)

7. Don Q & captain morgan rum distillery

8. Old San Juan

9. Observatory in Arecibo

10. Camuy Caverns

11. La parguera bahia luminicente ( glow bay )

12. La Guancha at Ponce

13. Eating sea food around the southwest coast

And Vieques...(take the puddlejumper) to go see the bioluminescent bay - amazing. This would be a great time because it's nowhere near a full moon. I love Vieques because it's so undeveloped - old Caribbean. No real "tourist" shops there, and it's very likely you'd go down the dirt road to a deserted beach (except for the herds of horses). Crime isn't unheard of - take a drybag.

I was surprised initially at how much they "check" when returning home, but PR is a very easy route for drugs to enter the mainland US from the Caribbean.

+1 Culebra Island. We did a guys trip last year and camped out for a week, snorkeled all day every day and had a blast! A cab driver told me that harvesting lobsters off Flamenco Beach was perfectly legal!

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'm at the airport now hoping someone doesn't show up. I work for an airline so I can fly for free but at a low priority (a couple checked bags cost me my seat lol) Luckily tomorrow is wide open and I didn't book a room for tonight anyway.

I am from PR and moved here about 3 years ago. I am pretty familiar with the local hobby scene, collection practices and the snorkeling/scuba spots. So let me know if you have questions.

Please note that it is not legal to collect any type of corals or rocks from the reefs. They are protected under Puerto Rican Law 147 (Coral Reef Conservation Act of 1999) and the US Coral Reef Protection Executive Order 13089 of June 11, 1998.

BTW, this time of the year, the Caribbean sea side of the island (specially the south / south west) tends to have better snorkeling conditions than the Atlantic side.

Hope you enjoy the island.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

I am from PR and moved here about 3 years ago. I am pretty familiar with the local hobby scene, collection practices and the snorkeling/scuba spots. So let me know if you have questions.Please note that it is not legal to collect any type of corals or rocks from the reefs. They are protected under Puerto Rican Law 147 (Coral Reef Conservation Act of 1999) and the US Coral Reef Protection Executive Order 13089 of June 11, 1998.BTW, this time of the year, the Caribbean sea side of the island (specially the south / south west) tends to have better snorkeling conditions than the Atlantic side.Hope you enjoy the island.Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

I had actually come across puerto rican law 147, though through an onoffical translation. In what I read it said it outlawed collections of the hydrozoa class which produce a calcium carbonate skeleton (which I thought would exclude zoanthids) Either way I suppose the spirit of the law would be to prevent the collection of basically anything that appears as coral, so I guess the only collection I ever do will be a couple softie frags in florida.

Also is it legal to take coral skeletons that have washed up on the beach? What about shells?

On an unrelated note I keep seeing referances to black coral, which I am not really familiar with. Is it available in the hobby in any way? (Yes I know collection of it is illegal and have no intent of doing so.)

Your best bet is to contact the PR Department of Natural Resources and see if you need any special permitting or license - and be mindful of collecting in some reserve and what the level of protected status is of a given reserve.  You also might need a US Fish and Wildlife 3-177 form, but I can't remember if I had to have one of those when bringing back palmata from PR or not - it's been too long...

Unless you are in some "No Take Zone" on a particular beach, coral skeletons and shells are usually unregulated.  Just please be sure no one is home when you collect that shell.  I've had people some ask me how to take care of their new hermit crab when they return from vacation...

I've not ever seen any Antipatharians (black coral) for sale in the hobby, and I hope it remains that way (they've primarily been harvested for jewelry).  They simply grow too slowly to be considered sustainable, IMO...

Cheers

Mike

Law 147 has an pretty broad definition of a "coral reef". The extraction of anything out of the reef is outlawed. Even collecting saltwater for water changes is technically illegal.

This topic is pretty well know to local hobbysts. The local reef club (AMEPR) forums http://amepr.createforumhosting.com/foros-agua-salada-f47.html are a good place to ask. You'll find pretty knowledgeable people about the local laws in there. BTW, the forum is known to be monitored by the Natural Resources and Environmental Department (DRNA in Spanish) so frame your questions accordingly.

The collection of skeletons or shells is still technically prohibited unless you have an special artisan license. Fines aren't really enforced for shells and skeletons, but I've seen DRNA rangers ask people to return them back to the beach.

Elkhorn coral (A. Palmata) is an endangered species under Federal law so that one can really get you in trouble if you get caught.

Again, the local reef forum may be a good place to confirm what I'm saying. They'll give you the scoop of local practices and the good spots to go snorkeling. In this thread you can see pictures of one of the snorkeling trips I did with some fellow members of the local reef club:

http://amepr.createforumhosting.com/viewtopic.php?p=43659

Cheers!