Centreville Aquarium

bendeng

Since I figure Duke won't actually share this, I will, because of numerous terrible experiences with them.

I know they don't sponser WAMAS but it is a lfs.

The owner is the worst.

Basically, most recently, he sold Duke's mom some crayfish. Told her it'd be fine with her Oscars. Duke just had to declaw them because all of the oscars (which range from 2"-5") have wounds from being pinched. "He would have sold her saltwater fish to go with her Oscars"

In the past, the owner has given me so much terrible advice.

"Oh yea Tiger Barbs will go great with your crayfish! "

"Porcupine Puffers will be fine in your community 46g reef tank."

"Sure, we put freshwater puffers in with our barbs and crayfish all the time."

The guy is a crook, only looking out for his wallet and how much green you can take out of yours. I have shopped there numerous times because they were one of the few places less than an hour away that I was aware of.

Hearing about this incident with Dukes mom has gotten me all worked up. Never going there again.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I'm surprised at how much bad stuff I've heard about this store, yet they seem to stay in business. It's bad news for the unknowing customers and the animals they sell.

You have two good stores close to you, BRK and Incredible Corals. Just little farther and you can hit Fins and Feathers and Petland. Have you visited to all of those stores yet?

I'm not surprised. CA is just a couple of blocks from me and I basically only go there for last minute dry goods or CUC stuff, maybe. Some of the employees there are knowledgeable and I wouldn't correlate your experience w/ the owner to his staff. That said, it's not a LFS to go to if you don't know a thing about keeping fish, let alone corals.

I'm surprised at how much bad stuff I've heard about this store, yet they seem to stay in business. It's bad news for the unknowing customers and the animals they sell.

You have two good stores close to you, BRK and Incredible Corals. Just little farther and you can hit Fins and Feathers and Petland. Have you visited to all of those stores yet?

Now I do. My first few months in the hobby, I only knew of CA. Now I'd rather drive to QR or IC. BRK is practically behind my house. Thanks to Wamas, now I know!

16 years ago I had a similar experience with CA, and was mad as H-E-double hockey sticks, but at myself, not at David.   Impulse buys never end good for me, and I've learned (and keep being reminded - can anyone say anemone) to research my live stock purchases before I purchase.  Yes, he's wrong, but it's also a two way street.  

FWIW, I've always found his livestock is healthy, it's been a rare occasion that fish/invert's I've purchased from him over the years that hasn't survived the long haul.  And to date, my tanks (sw and fw) have never been diseased from his tanks. 

I do agree with you tho, he will sell you anything, even if it's not the best for your set up.  

16 years ago I had a similar experience with CA, and was mad as H-E-double hockey sticks, but at myself, not at David. Impulse buys never end good for me, and I've learned (and keep being reminded - can anyone say anemone) to research my live stock purchases before I purchase. Yes, he's wrong, but it's also a two way street.

FWIW, I've always found his livestock is healthy, it's been a rare occasion that fish/invert's I've purchased from him over the years that hasn't survived the long haul. And to date, my tanks (sw and fw) have never been diseased from his tanks.

I do agree with you tho, he will sell you anything, even if it's not the best for your set up.

Absolutely. This was before ny discovery of Wamas so while researching online helped, I would ask him for advice on livestock that I really wanted and he would always say yes yes yes buy buy buy it all works.

I must admit, everything IS very healthy and clean. Just find it discouraging to realize he is more of an aggressive car salesman than a fish enthusiast.

HA!  That's funny, "used car salesman" and so on point.   On the rare occasion I do ask for his opinion, I always end it with "and don't b/s me David.....".    He's not a "bad" guy, but def will sell you anything.......

I've found it's better to shop at IC or QR, not only for honest answers, but for their prices, CA's are way higher.  CA does carry black worms, and I have yet to find them locally.  Hence, I stop in there whenever I am in the area.  

One thing worth noting is that, while not a sponsor, they do offer the 10% discount to wamas members. At least the last time I was there.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

One thing worth noting is that, while not a sponsor, they do offer the 10% discount to wamas members. At least the last time I was there.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

When was the last time you were there?

And yup, my fish went nuts for black worms!

• 5 months later...

Just an FYI about CA.  If you do decide to pick up something there they do give a 10% discount to WAMAS members.  Sometimes you just gotta get something quick without driving too far.  Might as well take advantage and reduce your price as much as possible.

Bruce