Clean up crew recommendations?

Cord

Hello WAMAS, I recently set up my 155 reef again (long story) and now that the cycle appears complete and the diatoms are dissipating, I figured I better invest in a clean up crew.  My vision is to have a tank lightly stocked with Zoas, some lps, fish, and perhaps some anemones. 

I am leaning towards snails with no crabs.  I have heard that crabs are opportunist and may eat inverts.  Please share any thoughts or recommendations

Yeah I am getting tired of my hermits and will go to all snails with my new build. I got some snails from John reefcleaners and you definitely get way way more than you pay for. I ordered only 20 dwarf ceriths and probably got closer to 120. I had 4 of my 10 large ceriths die and he refunded me for all 10. Stand up guy for sure!!

Thx for the info.  I was checking out their site the other day and was wondering if anyone had experience with them.  Glad to hear you recommend them, thx again

Reefcleaners offers a snail only cleaner pak for your tank for $100 delivered. While that may sound like a lot of money it really isn't considering those snails will take very good care of your tank.  I have bought from him many times and always been pleased.Course I also bought a boatload of snails from Quantum Aquaria at the sale this weekend and got great deal there as well.

I've also used reefcleaners. They send way more than you actually order.

Understatement of the year.  Definitely keep that in mind if you ever order for a nano. 

I'm partial to ceriths (large and dwarf), trochus, nassarius (tongan and vibex) and nerites.  I am going to fail at this description but I've never been able to find a species name...  I prefer the nerites that have a glossy purplish/grey shell - slightly smaller and a very finely printed shell, over the chunky zebra or checkered nerites.  The latter are always on my carpet or desk.  Love, love, love stomatella if you can find them.  Astrea are a pain because they can't right themselves.  Turbos are great but big and clumsy.  Planaxis are fine in a nano, but crawl through the overflow teeth (as do dwarf cerith).  I do like having some small snails to get in the small crevices of the rock.

My scarlet leg hermits have never given me any trouble at all.  I like hermits because they pick at little bits of food on rocks that nassarius don't get to.  Plus they are easy enough to pluck out if need be.

• 2 weeks later...

Depends on if the fish in your fowlr are snail eaters...you'll be replenishing on a semi regular basis...

But I always had misc snails, just no sand snails and no hermits in my fowlr as triggers really like them,lol