Overflow "?"

TheyCallMeMr.703

So I know drilling a hole, and adding a hose or something so Air can get in the tube will help to Quiet the sound... I cleaned out my filter/pump and also added a screen to the Return going back to the 55... so I now noticing more noise...
  I am currently running one hole with Airline tubing as a tube, 1/2'' piping, with a 1'' Screen, I am not sure what the Flow coming in is... as I cleaned out and removed all the media, from my H.O.T. Magnum, to use as a Pump. ( Like the McGyver of the Fish World. ;) )

So, What I am wondering is... Will drilling another hole, and adding another hose, help to lessen' the noise???  

--Seems like it would in theory... But would like to get other peoples thoughts before I go ahead and Drill a hole into my Overflow... lol 

(edited)

Possibly... I am thinking more of... If I create more Air for the Pocket to exist.. it will help to prevent that..????

Because it seems like It stops, then catches back up, Like how it did originally before I drilled.... But Not that bad.. But similar...  So yes, does have a slight Gurgle to it...  But it just seems like its not Breathing enough... I think this because before I installed the Screen thing on there, Worked nice and Quietly( as Quiet as a Overflow can be) lol...

( Sorry,, Prob not helpin much, ReallyTired)

Edited by TheyCallMeMr.703

I am having a hard time understanding what you are talking about here. I used to run an overflow box and it was always loud. I think the problem you are having is a mismatch between your return pump and the overflow siphon itself. Try dialing down the return pump if you can and see what that does. Again, this advice is stemming from what I can understand of your problem. Maybe you can explain it more clearly?

I am having a hard time understanding what you are talking about here. I used to run an overflow box and it was always loud. I think the problem you are having is a mismatch between your return pump and the overflow siphon itself. Try dialing down the return pump if you can and see what that does. Again, this advice is stemming from what I can understand of your problem. Maybe you can explain it more clearly?

I think you are right... I have decided to just live with it... I am about to do a New Build soon. A Tank I can be Happy with, and design from the ground up to suit my needs.  But I think you are right. Thanks

So I know drilling a hole, and adding a hose or something so Air can get in the tube will help to Quiet the sound... I cleaned out my filter/pump and also added a screen to the Return going back to the 55... so I now noticing more noise...

I am currently running one hole with Airline tubing as a tube, 1/2'' piping, with a 1'' Screen, I am not sure what the Flow coming in is... as I cleaned out and removed all the media, from my H.O.T. Magnum, to use as a Pump. ( Like the McGyver of the Fish World.  ;) )

So, What I am wondering is... Will drilling another hole, and adding another hose, help to lessen' the noise???  

--Seems like it would in theory... But would like to get other peoples thoughts before I go ahead and Drill a hole into my Overflow... lol 

So I can't picture this exactly. The HOT Magnum filters are canister filters with an intake and return hose that are supposed to remain filled with water (along with the canister), right? So I can't figure out where this hole and air tubing are coming from. In one sense, it sounds like you're describing a Durso or Stockman overflow, or a drilled tank with a hole and tubing at the top of the ell, but then you mentioned the Magnum. Are you using both an overflow into a sump and then using the magnum as a return pump from the sump up to the tank? (Note: This may be inviting a flood of some sort if that magnum doesn't stay primed.)

A lot of times noise either comes from the overflow end (gurgling noises mostly), or the sump end (water exiting the pipe and making water-on-water noise). The latter can be handled with a filter sock or a bubble containment device. The former by adjusting how far you put the tubing into the hole. A second hole is no guarantee that you'll get the noise under control.

Listen carefully to where the noise is coming from and, if you can, take a picture so we can better understand what you're facing.

It really is. That's what I got right now, and The Next one.. is goin' to be a 90g with a 55 Sump im makin' under it... :) Wooo, Maybe even a 20g Auto-TopOff.lol

I wouldn't suggest using a 55 for a sump. I have one and it's way to tall, and creates a lot of problems in my stand. I would suggest finding a cheap, shallow sump. A wider footprint will also increase your options for choosing a skimmer.

I wouldn't suggest using a 55 for a sump. I have one and it's way to tall, and creates a lot of problems in my stand. I would suggest finding a cheap, shallow sump. A wider footprint will also increase your options for choosing a skimmer.

+1 this is good advice.