Question for CA Reactor users

rtsusc83

I was at the home of one of the guys who's liquidating his setup here now. His calcium reactor tank sat next to his stand, if I recall correctly.

What are you considering?

Tom,

I got a setup about a month ago and the regulator gauges were corroded so I thought by keeping it out of the stand that corrosion would be minimized.  I got the AP regulator to replace it and want to make sure this lasted.  Thoughts?

Tom,

I got a setup about a month ago and the regulator gauges were corroded so I thought by keeping it out of the stand that corrosion would be minimized.  I got the AP regulator to replace it and want to make sure this lasted.  Thoughts?

Yeah, they get corroded in the high-humidity environment. Mine did, too. It was nice and pretty to start with, but it's lost it's luster with the surface rust. Maybe a quick coat of turtle wax on the chromed parts if you want to try to keep the corrosion down. I picked up the AP regulator, too, just the other day. I've not installed it yet, though.

I just bought the AP reguator too.  We should have tried to get a group buy going LOL.  Since I use a pH controller, I bought it for the reliability based on reviews and for the warranty, not for the adjustability.  It's installed and working well.  It's only been on for 2 days, though.

(edited)

I just installed my Ca Reactor with the AP regulator.  For a nub like me, easy to install and set the bubble rate.  Using the pH controller via Apex.  Right now I am setting the pH to go on at 6.7 and off at 6.5  Dont have settings set for in tank pH.  Will use timer to turn on for three hours in the evening.  What settings to do you all use?

Edited by rtsusc83

6.72 to 6.65 on pH; Peristaltic pump delivery at 30 ml per minute for 20 minutes every hour when I had the reactor on line (it's off right now but coming back online soon).

6.72 to 6.65 on pH; Peristaltic pump delivery at 30 ml per minute for 20 minutes every hour when I had the reactor on line (it's off right now but coming back online soon).

What type of reactor media are you using? I started with Tropic Eden and recommended b/w 6.5 and 6.8 consistent with yours.  Right now my range of pH is 6.5 and 6.7.  May narrow after a couple of days to tweak my parameters. I dont have a peristatlc pump so I plan on running the reactor a few hours/day.

I just bought the AP reguator too.  We should have tried to get a group buy going LOL.  Since I use a pH controller, I bought it for the reliability based on reviews and for the warranty, not for the adjustability.  It's installed and working well.  It's only been on for 2 days, though.

Marc,

What are your settings for the pH controller?  Are you relying solely on the pH controller or do you also have a set time for when the reactor running?  Also, what is your bubble rate?

rtsusc83, are you planning to just run the Ca reactor or also do kalk or 2 part of some of each?  Can you get away with just a Ca reactor and no dosing of other stuff?  If so, I should do that instead because I already have most of the CO2 parts from my planted tank.

Top of the line Mark. I love that regulator and have had zero issues with it. Unlike others that always had issues.

Marc,

What are your settings for the pH controller?  Are you relying solely on the pH controller or do you also have a set time for when the reactor running?  Also, what is your bubble rate?

I keep my PH on the low side at about 6.2. Not an issue as long as the media is not turning to mush. I tried to dial in my bubble count to keep it close to the demand (6.2 PH). This way the controller is not turning on and off the regulator 500 times a day. Run the reactor 24/7 and keep checking your alk to dial in your drip rate. Sounds harder than it is and once set correctly you can almost go months without making any adjustments. However I still check my alk every 4-7 days just for piece of mind. You will love it once dialed in!

I run both kalk and the reactor. The kalk helps bring the pH back up. Just dial back on the reactor when using this method.

I use CaribSea's coarse Arm in my reactor along with some dolomite for a magnesium boost. Sometimes I'll toss in old coral skeletons as well.

Sent from my phone

Marc,

The "pH controller" is actually my Apex, on at 6.31 and off at 6.27.  I run the reactor 24/7.  Bubble rate is 1 per second.  I tried to adjust it as close to the demand as possible as well.

Top of the line Mark. I love that regulator and have had zero issues with it. Unlike others that always had issues.

Glad to hear that.  I was wondering what regulator you bought, and why it took so long to get.  Now I know, mine took a week and a half to get here, but I still had a partially working regulator on there already.

I keep my PH on the low side at about 6.2. Not an issue as long as the media is not turning to mush. I tried to dial in my bubble count to keep it close to the demand (6.2 PH). This way the controller is not turning on and off the regulator 500 times a day. Run the reactor 24/7 and keep checking your alk to dial in your drip rate. Sounds harder than it is and once set correctly you can almost go months without making any adjustments. However I still check my alk every 4-7 days just for piece of mind. You will love it once dialed i

This morning i set the bubble rate at 60bpm and effluent rate at 50ml/hr and the regulator has cycled 8 times in the last twelve hours.  I will test for Ca and Alk tomorrow.  Thanks.

I keep my PH on the low side at about 6.2. Not an issue as long as the media is not turning to mush. I tried to dial in my bubble count to keep it close to the demand (6.2 PH). This way the controller is not turning on and off the regulator 500 times a day. Run the reactor 24/7 and keep checking your alk to dial in your drip rate. Sounds harder than it is and once set correctly you can almost go months without making any adjustments. However I still check my alk every 4-7 days just for piece of mind. You will love it once dialed in!

Thanks Marc!