JBJ 3gal Picotope Aquarium or JBJ 3gal cubby w/ LED?

harticus5

Hello, I am looking for some advice I already have a red max 250 and 130

Looking to get a 3gal which one of these 2 should I go for?

The cubby with the LED is on sale for $85 which is what Im leaning towards because I do not want to buy replacement bulbs anytime soon, although reviews do not seem to be very good at all.

or the 3gal pico

Just plan on growing some gsp and having 2 clowns.

Thanks!

Marine depot has it on sale for $85 until the end of the month. I would order suppliers for my larger tanks at the same so shipping would be free. So still $85 with shipping.

Awesome thanks. I also read the reviews. One said it doesn't skim the surface because it has another vent near the bottom.

And something about if the top breaks the LEDs are useless.

yes, wont skim the very top, only about 1" below the water level, and then at the bottom. Then also must have very small sand bed otherwise the bottom intake gets covered and you would have to put small rubble in front, or something.

The reviews Ive found say the lid is very cheap plastic, however I don't know if that is still the case when the lid is removed. Sounds like a clip is available to have without the lid. I actually would prefer keeping the lid on to help with the amount of evaporation.

I think overall this has a really nice look to it, and for the price looks like it can do the job. I think I will go for it for the $85 w/ LED cubey over the 3gal pico at $55

Amazing how few reviews there on this cubey tank compared to other desk tanks. I am in thousands on my red sea 250/130, so not trying to go crazy on this one.

I have the picotope. I would recommend the cubey because of the surface filtration. Not having surface filtration allows for a surface film to develop that is tough to get rid of in the smaller tanks where you can't have a good protein skimmer.

jaddc - So you would recommend it? 

I have the picotope. I would recommend the cubey because of the surface filtration. Not having surface filtration allows for a surface film to develop that is tough to get rid of in the smaller tanks where you can't have a good protein skimmer.

i had a picotope and loved it. much better reviews than the cubby as well:

http://www.marinedepot.com/JBJ_Cubey_3_Gallon_Pico_LED_Aquarium_Saltwater_Aquariums_Nano_Cube-JBJ_Lighting-JB01172-FIAQNC-vi.html

vs

http://www.marinedepot.com/JBJ_3gal_Picotope_Aquarium_Nano_Tank_with_Lighting_Under_10_Gallons-JBJ_Lighting-JB7151-FIAQNCCKTLUT-vi.html

plus there are many sites/threads where people have done some very cool mods to the picotope (fuge in the back; glass lid; upgraded lighting; etc.).

Edited by Ryan S

I have the Picotope and love it. Nice quality, lighting is perfectly fine for gsp and the telescopic mount is easy to adjust or move. I agree that the stock filter allows that surface film to build a little, but top offs and water changes help. The filter also lacks flow a little, which in my opinion needs to be a hair higher to avoid dead spots, but it's not a critical need. For now, I put filter floss in the media chamber and change it out every few days after gently blowing everything with a turkey baster. I may eventually add a tiny powerhead but it's fine for now.

The cubey looks nice - I don't have any experience with it. I would check the display area size. I can't imagine losing space in the back of my little 3 gallon.

15% off one single item in your order! Some exclusions apply.
Use Coupon at checkout: FIRST500
Valid From 9/20/2013 - 9/23/2013

Thought I would share with you, even though I just posted this somewhere else.  Not sure if it will work on sale items.

Even I have not used it, my vote is cubey. JBJ is a solid company that has never wronged me personally so I would trust their products.

I loved my picotope (obviously, also JBJ), but I ended up switching to a Nuvo Pico 4 to get the overflow feature and it came with a lid. Even though I was changing my water frequently (I work in a lab so it is trivial to make high quality saltwater for my office tank), the picotope still had some water quality issues that I didn't like (but I'm OCD about that stuff) -- even after I upgraded my filter capacity. There is no lid on the picotope, so I lost a clownfish who wanted to see what life was like on the carpet. 

I still may use the picotop as a freshwater set-up. 

15% off one single item in your order! Some exclusions apply.

Use Coupon at checkout: FIRST500

Valid From 9/20/2013 - 9/23/2013

Thought I would share with you, even though I just posted this somewhere else.  Not sure if it will work on sale items.

Even better....

20% Off JBJ Cubey 3 Gallon Pico LED Aquariums

Use Coupon at checkout: JBJCUBEYPICO

until the 30th of this month.

I think I am going to give this cubey a shot.........$85 with LED....and a cheap lid to keep the fish from jumping lol..1 clown and gsp is all I want in this thing..I will not be doing any mods to  this ........my money focus has to be with the bigger tanks :) 

my Red sea 250 14months old now......video was taken at the 8 month mark.

Tank has changed a lot since...Need to take another video.

Well I will post pics of the cubey within a week or 2......should look good quick since I am using already established water, etc.

Edited by harticus5

• 1 month later...
(edited)

Up and running for 35 days now. Fragged some of the GSP to the backglass, and put the rest in a different tank. Added 4 mouth hammer. Kenya tree babies 4x larger over the 1 month. Also added some zoas, and pulsing xenia, and baby 3/4" yellow watchman, which will be moved to my larger tank eventually. I was pleased with this tank, except 3 of the White LED's failed today, and started to flicker. Working on claim with JBJ. From what I can tell this tank has either been discontinued by JBJ or I am 1 of 5 people in the world that bought this tank. Overall still pleased.....love having clowns/tank in the bedroom, in addition to my larger tanks.Still good tank for the price.....just need LED issue fixed.

post-2633692-0-27195100-1383700443_thumb.jpg

Edited by harticus5

Came together pretty nicely.  One question though: Isn't 3 gallons a bit undersized for a pair of clowns?  I've always heard that a 20G is minimum for a pair of those guys.  How are parameters holding up since there is not a lot of live rock in there?

Going good so far. Yes, a bit small, however do-able, since they are not full grown. I originally got this idea from the tank on the desk at house of tropics a 4gal pico. See attached....

Doing 20-25% water change weekly

Also added a 1" blue strip gobey

post-2633692-0-04856400-1384136729_thumb.jpg

Update. JBJ shipped out new LED hood assembly (3 white LEDS failed), and I already recieved/installed. Thumbs up customer support!

Edited by harticus5