I'm back

swimwiththefishes

I"ve had a marine aquarium for over 20 years.   I started with fish only and then corals and clams etc but after a big crash as a result of s super long power outage, I sort of gave up for a while and just kept the fish.    

Now I've got a house generator and I'm hopefully at the tail end of a tank "do-over" and am going back to mostly fish only (well and some cleaners etc) in an effort to keep things simple.    I'm really looking forward to seeing what's been going on here since I left a few years ago.    

Super excited.  I'll post some pics when it's done and I'll be looking for fun fish ideas.   

See ya!

-Pam 

Welcome back!

And I'm just saying, you may want to change your profile, it defaults to male,lol

And where ya at? There are alot of us all over...and some new stores have recently opened up also :)

And feel free to give us more infor about your current tank!

Welcome back, Pam. Two posts here in how many years? Post up more information about your tank and what you're up to. We'd love to learn more!

Well I was involved with  Wamas many years ago and used to attend some meetings.  I started a new profile a while ago for various reasons but became distracted by other things for several years.   Now that I"m getting ready to get this new system back up and running I knew I"d be looking for Wamas friend's support and encouragement :-)   I am a female - I'll fix that but my friend likes to post too...he's not. LOL.   

Anyway, my tank was an acrylic tank about 300 gallons with the sump etc.   It had lot of "things" to keep up with the corals etc but slowly I removed them from the system to keep things simple.   This way my "distractions" won't lure me away from fish keeping since it won't be too time consuming without all the corals.

I wanted to replace my acrylic tank with glass so it wouldn't scratch - That was annoying!   

Originally I was just going to switch out the tank but instead I ended up doing a new sump and new parts too.  But then, just before starting the job I decided to make the tank a bit wider as well and had a contractor move the wall by about 6" and that made a lot of difference.    It's a double sided tank so this will make  it easier to have rocks in the middle and still allow the fish to swim around.    

The tank is still in process of being completed which has taken quite a long time but I'm hoping it finishes soon so I'll post photos once it's done.  I can't wait!

Here's what I know so far:  

It's about 7' X 31" X 30" or close enough.  

I have a 30 gallon tomato clown tank in another location that's plumbed to this one.    They can't play nice with others so they keep the anemone's happy.   

It has a Q-tank (or holding tank) which can be shut off from the system if needed.  It's small but it will do :-) 

The skimmer is a Bubble King 300

There are 2 pumps for the closed loop system

There's a 57 watt UV attached

It has a Bash Sea Aquatics (I think that's what it's called) reactor for carbon

APEX (which isn't working at the moment but will be soon)

and 4 Kessil lights and 2 moon lights from Reef Brite

I currently have a very large Hippo tang and Coral Beauty that I've had for about 9 years,  They are in the main tank and a mated pair of Tomato Clowns hosting 3 anemones and laying eggs.

I'm very excited to start adding fish once we're officially done with the set up.   I had some beautiful tangs and other fish for many years prior to the "big crash".  

The tank is in Falls Church.

Thanks for your warm welcomes

=Pam