LDD driver & circuit board put together for DIY LED projects

Neto

I am building a DIY led fixture soon and i decided to start off with putting together my LDD drivers into a circuit board being sold to reefers.. This tutorial is how to put it together and really to show what you need. There are tons of tutorials on how to solder circuits and you would be better off watching a video off youtube.. So here we go

Parts:

- Coralux LDD board (includes terminal blocks)

- LDD drivers 

- 24 pin IC Socket Wide (optional but it makes it easier to swap out drivers in case of damage)

Tools:

- Soldering Iron

- Solder

So here is all the parts

4d573f60-55f2-4a4d-a6be-54daf5c6e385_zps

You will need to remove some of the pins from the IC sockets as shown here:

IMG_1199_zps73dd1492.jpg

The board will all the components put together

967774b3-207a-42f3-84be-37c0864cdee6_zps

All the Soldering

IMG_1203_zps055eca62.jpg

And the final product

77d21b43-3280-4ba3-8a86-fb9d04cd422f_zps

So total cost was around ~$50 and this can run up to 16 (3w leds) on each channel. This board can have 5 channels (only 4 drivers on the above picture).

Nice tutorial. I see that the Meanwell LDD-1000h drivers are step-down DC-DC converters. What are you using to source the input DC voltage (which can be up to 56 VDC according to the data sheet)?

Nice tutorial. I see that the Meanwell LDD-1000h drivers are step-down DC-DC converters. What are you using to source the input DC voltage (which can be up to 56 VDC according to the data sheet)?

Dont know about Neto, but I am using a Meanwell SP-320-48 with mine.

I will be using a 48v 5amp power supply.. I also bought some step down converters to bring the voltage to 12v so that i could power up 2 12v fans and an arduino.

I will be using a 48v 5amp power supply.. I also bought some step down converters to bring the voltage to 12v so that i could power up 2 12v fans and an arduino.

Cool. So, bottom line, in the end you'll be able to drive 64 LED's spread across 4 chains. $50 for the driver... after adding the power supply, heat sink, LEDs, fans, controller, interface components and connectors, how much will you have invested in the build?

Cool. So, bottom line, in the end you'll be able to drive 64 LED's spread across 4 chains. $50 for the driver... after adding the power supply, heat sink, LEDs, fans, controller, interface components and connectors, how much will you have invested in the build?

Well thats the maximum you can run off these leds.. However I am running slight less per channel and each controls a different color... I have spent roughtly around $330 for an equivalent of two VEGA Blue fixtures IMO. I will start my build soon..

• 3 weeks later...

@neto: It is a very nice tutorial and gives a lot of knowledge about the DIY led fixture and it is very helpful but I am not able to understand that why you are using the LDD of different current ratings like 1000mA, 700mA and 500mA and does it affects the selection of the input power supply?

(edited)

@neto: It is a very nice tutorial and gives a lot of knowledge about the DIY led fixture and it is very helpful but I am not able to understand that why you are using the LDD of different current ratings like 1000mA, 700mA and 500mA and does it affects the selection of the input power supply?

Hi Roberto

Different leds have different maximum current ratings. For instance, the Hyper Violet 430nm LEDS can run up to 700ma (milli amps) and to get the maximum efficiency of this led, you will need no more than 700ma. If you power these using a 1000ma driver then you will burn them.. Here is list of the leds & their maximum current capability:

OCW (Ocean Coral White) - 500ma (will use a 500ma driver)

LEDgroupBuy Hyper Violet - 700ma (will use a 500ma driver)

CREE XT-E Royal Blue / Warm White - 1500ma (will use a 1000ma driver) LDD does not make 1500ma drivers so these will be under powered

Each driver needs an input of 52v-48v to run and you may use the same power supply for all drivers. You will need to calculate the amount of current you need to power all these. So from my build I have

2 x 1000ma

1 x 700ma

1 x 500ma

this totals to 3200ma or 3.2 amps. So it is usually recomended that you get a power supply that provides 20% more power of what you need. so 3.2 x 20% = 3.84A... So you would need a (48v)*(3.84A) = ~~180W PSU  minimum for this setup.

Edited by Neto

Thanks for these threads.  I am going to attempt my own build in the future and your guidance and experiences and will be invaluable.

Glad I can help! let me know if you have any more questions.. I usually check the forums daily