Weird ALK Swing

swimmatte

So, a couple months ago I started up a 30g frag tank with a 10g sump. Currently there are about 30 zoa frags, a couple Acans, some snails, and a lawnmower blenny.  Shortly after starting everything up I noticed my ALK was on the rise and is now topping out my Red Sea test kit which goes up to 14.  If I had to guess past that point I would think it's probably somewhere around 15 or 15.5........

I have not been dosing anything and use Instant Ocean.  I also run cheato in the sump and just recently (about a week ago) installed a dual reactor running carbon and gfo.  Does anyone have an idea as to what is could cause this to stay this high?  Also, what would you suggest as far as fixing it?  Below are my complete readings:

SG: 1.023 (had been at 1.024 since the beginning)

pH: 7.9

Mag: 1340

Alk: 14+

Calcium: 400

Nitrates: 60 (I know, I know)

Phos: .03

You've not been dosing anything? In that case, your test kit is definitely suspect.

Sent from my phone

How long have you been using the Red Sea kit?

The kit asks you to squirt .4 of the solution first to get you started and then drip, drip, drip till the color change. I had a problem where the color change actually occurred in that first .4, so no matter how much I added, my color seemed to never "change". In my case, I had a much, much lower all than I thought.

Edited by Djplus1

get a different test kit and see if that's the issue. LPS can handle the 60ppm No3.

Yeah, I'm going to try something different but I got the same results with my API kit.  I know the API kits suck but the fact that they're both giving the same result has to count for something.  I don't plan on keeping anything other than LPS and Zoas in this frag tank some I'm not really worried about the high Nitrates.

You've not been dosing anything? In that case, your test kit is definitely suspect.

Sent from my phone

Not a thing.  

yea, test kit is probably spent.... are you topping off with RO or tap water?

I'm in between RODI units right now but have been buying RODI from Safeway in 1 Gallon jugs for top offs and water changes.

How long have you been using the Red Sea kit?

The kit asks you to squirt .4 of the solution first to get you started and then drip, drip, drip till the color change. I had a problem where the color change actually occurred in that first .4, so no matter how much I added, my color seemed to never "change". In my case, I had a much, much lower all than I thought.

A couple months and I have been doing it just like they say, and it definitely wasn't changing in the first .4

I'm just kind of boggled.  

Have you tried testing your water change water? Let it mix for 24 hours then check the Alk, maybe a bad mix of salt.

Have you tried testing your water change water? Let it mix for 24 hours then check the Alk, maybe a bad mix of salt.

+1 its the last possible thing.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

Water change water came in at an 11.  Doesn't make any sense.

This is more typical of IO.

Are you topping off with RO/DI or tap water? If it's tap water, that may be the culprit. (Though I'd think that your calcium levels would be higher also.)