Reef in a cookie jar

taiscici

This is just so cool! Make me want to try this :tongue:

[–]NoDiggityNoDoubt 1352 points

23 hoursago

Where did you get the base reef?

*Better yet, could you list everything involved in making this? Every. Last. Thing. Please!

[–]Rondo620[S] 2189 points

22 hours

ago

Get the biggest cookie they have at Walmart 10 bucks. Get the smallest little pump you can find that is no more than 70 GPH 50 is perfect. 5 lbs of live reef sand from pet shop. 3 lbs of live rock from a good saltwater pet shop. The most expensive part is the light $70 par38 21 watt LED reef light. No filter just a small filter pad on the pump intake. Weekly 50% water change with Red Sea coral pro salt and purified RO drinking water. Make sure the water is exactly he same salinity and temp as the water in the jar. Use a digital thermometer to check temp. to warm it up take a clean cup and put a cup of your mixed saltwater in the microwave for 30-50 secs do this until you get the water up to temp. Absolutely no fish allowed in the jar that is the most golden rule. Rule number two is spot feed corals sparingly only twice a week one big feeding an hour or so before you do the water change. No protein skimmer no sump just good light, circulation and low invert only bio load with frequent water changes to replace minerals.

*EDIT Please though I have to say this as the OP....please do not try this unless you have many years of experience. Please, it's not as casual as I may make it look. I have to let you know and not to brag by any means but I have 30 years of experience with aquariums and worked at one of the top 10 Zoos in the US for awhile. If you do not know what you are getting yourself into please dont do it. Go to your local Aquarium or Zoo and enjoy their aquariums and support them. This is not easy, it is not a plant on your window sill, you will waste your $$$$ and you will senselessly kill beautiful and precious creatures. Sorry had to be said.

post-2632998-0-91163500-1377224637_thumb.jpg

I would do something like this on my desk at work. Maybe I'll take a stab? It seems like as long as you mix your water right, and match temp and salinity you're golden. You would have to put it in a place that kept a pretty consistent temp. though.

Yeah...I'm thinking inside my bookcase by my couch...not near any a/c vents or windows...I already have a light and a pump from my pico I have to take down...

is your desk in a good spot? Or do you have somewhere else in Mind?

Yeah...I'm thinking inside my bookcase by my couch...not near any a/c vents or windows...I already have a light and a pump from my pico I have to take down...

is your desk in a good spot? Or do you have somewhere else in Mind?

The office gets a bit chilly sometimes, and I would have to haul it over holidays, but with the light and the constant 74-75 degrees in the office, it would probably be alright. I have a little pump that would be perfect, but I would need a light.

I'm currently maintaining a 156 full blown reef tank in this fashion for the last 3 months. No fish, a few snails and hermits, chock full of coral. 

It gets 25g w/c every week and corals seem to be growing faster now than when the filtration was connected.

This is only temporary and will all be transitioned into a 405g tank in the next 90 days.

Easy.

I'm currently maintaining a 156 full blown reef tank in this fashion for the last 3 months. No fish, a few snails and hermits, chock full of coral.

It gets 25g w/c every week and corals seem to be growing faster now than when the filtration was connected.

This is only temporary and will all be transitioned into a 405g tank in the next 90 days.

Easy.

nice. I think I.m goin to try as well. Have been thinkin for some time now about this now.

Yeah that could work fine...but you can find par bulbs for like$50 sometimes...and frankly then you can keep slot more than just zoas and sh rooms...some a cans maybe...other LPS that like dirtier water...that's the way I'm leaning if I can get my husband to let me do it,lol

Yeah that could work fine...but you can find par bulbs for like$50 sometimes...and frankly then you can keep slot more than just zoas and sh rooms...some a cans maybe...other LPS that like dirtier water...that's the way I'm leaning if I can get my husband to let me do it,lol

We are both talking about doing picos in cookie jars when we've got 150+ gallons to play with...

I don't know about you... but what's wrong with ME!?!

We are both talking about doing picos in cookie jars when we've got 150+ gallons to play with...

I don't know about you... but what's wrong with ME!?!

Well I have to take down my 5g Eco pico downstairs to make room for the new 150g,lol