id this thing por favor

monkiboy

what is this?

8ac724c5-bc4a-41a2-88b7-a1cebd69c66f_zps

it is about the size of a quarter

it spits out this mucus web about three to four inches wide in the water column and four inches out. it is clear and spiderweb like, then a few minutes later sucks it back in or the fish have destroyed the mucus thinking it's food and it's retracted what is left.

thanks for your help!

I'd say a vermetid snail, but I've never seen one spit a web 3-4 inches wide......

i'm pretty sure you're right. looking at google images there are some that match exactly despite most being more tube like and narrow.

here's one that looks exactly like mine:

vermetid_2-med.jpg

I have a red monti that grew around a couple of these in my tank. They do sting the monti and cause is to turn white/deteriorate. I think you can pop them off with a screw driver or something strong like that. 

Personally, I like them for the most part. Like bristle worms, nassarius snails, and brittle stars, they reveal themselves during feeding time and demonstrate the diversity of inhabitants in the tank. Unless it's really a problem, I leave them alone. Just realize that their tubes can cut you if you're moving the rock. They're pretty thin and, should the break, the edges can be sharp.

thanks guys. this is in a dedicated clown and nem tank so no problems as of yet other than the mucus spitting out every feeding isn't pleasant to look at and the fish get wrapped in it trying to eat it. i'll zap 'em with a laser if it really comes to me removing them. thanks for the quick id, folks!