Source for HDPE food grade cylinders?

wade

I've seen them around before, but now that I'm looking, I'm not having any luck.  

Anyone know of a local(ish) source for these... usually blue, but also come in white.  Usually used to ship raw liquid ingredients for food/drinks.

I want one for my topoff system.

If you do get up that far north, Wade, you could even extend the trip just a tad and check out That Fish Place.

Not sure about the food grade containers. Sorry.

I'll have to remember to check craigslist more often I guess.

As to That Fish Place, I believe the big frag trade is coming up early October at that location (4th?).  Maybe I can roll those into an adventure.

Wade there is a group buy being organized currently for 50 gallon drums and other various sizes and swimmatte is the one doing the negotiating.... Seems that might be an easier alternative and it would be a brand new barrel.

Wade there is a group buy being organized currently for 50 gallon drums and other various sizes and swimmatte is the one doing the negotiating.... Seems that might be an easier alternative and it would be a brand new barrel.

Thanks I just checked out that thread

Thanks for the info, I missed that someplace - I will go look.   Sounds very costly compared to picking one up for $12 used (esp if it only had food items in it).

A 50 gal barrel was 55 bucks I think? There might even be better prices with all the interest... 12 bucks plus gas to Hershey.. Might be worth it... Might not? At the end if the day as long as your happy all is well :-)

The real clincher would be a removable top (per the group buy thread).  That would make it worth the extra imo.

I found an old craiglist add for someone in Falls Church/Rockville who also sells black versions of the barrels for $30 with what appear to be removable lids.  I am going to contact him and see.

Although 12 bucks for a barrel does seem like a good reason to take a trip to Hershey and go see the park and botanical gardens

Edited by Mattiejay6

It would be the perfect time for me to go hunt for corals. The 120 will be cycled and ready to get prettied up by then.

has anyone contacted this person?  "55 gallon drums that are food grade for $30. The drums do have lids and are ready for use."

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/grd/3988208475.html

I would also be interested in some 55 gal drums, as well as a 275 gal tank ($135) (as a cistern for collecting garden water).

Interesting. I didn't know that we had a guy around here with IBC's and these drums. I've sent him a note about possibly seeing these before committing to any. If I get there, I'll take pictures.

Yeah, I was right, tho the date is Oct 5th (Saturday)...  http://www.ncpars.org/  $10 for non-members, but from what I understand it is pretty big.

Anyone up for a trade/frag event outside the home range?

I went there last year and it was nice.  I bought a few sweet frags from Dan Rigle (rigleautomotive on reefcentral) but they died in tank transitions.  I plan on going back this year and getting more.  You can pre-order frags on fragswapper.  You are welcome to ride with me if you like, as I usually go alone 'cause my wife is not a coral fan lol.

I am feeling highly inclined to hit this frag swap as my 180 is also rather empty.  I had already asked Dan about selling me some frags, but his inventory is all tagged to go retail, but he is bringing many to the event for sale.  As for driving, you are a bit west, but we could probably meet up in Frederick someplace and rideshare.  Let's keep in touch.

Interesting. I didn't know that we had a guy around here with IBC's and these drums. I've sent him a note about possibly seeing these before committing to any. If I get there, I'll take pictures.

Please do!  He's local and $30 isn't bad for a drum.  I am also thinking about the larger tanks for capturing rainwater, but it'd look really ugly on the corner of the house unless I find a way to hide it.

I am feeling highly inclined to hit this frag swap as my 180 is also rather empty.  I had already asked Dan about selling me some frags, but his inventory is all tagged to go retail, but he is bringing many to the event for sale.  As for driving, you are a bit west, but we could probably meet up in Frederick someplace and rideshare.  Let's keep in touch.

Please do!  He's local and $30 isn't bad for a drum.  I am also thinking about the larger tanks for capturing rainwater, but it'd look really ugly on the corner of the house unless I find a way to hide it.

I'm trading emails with him now. He's got a warehouse of them in Virginia. Just trying to find out details about the lid.

Wade and others:

One of our members, RJT visited the guy behind the Craigslist ad mentioned in post #14 above. He examined both the 55 gallon barrels and the IBC totes. Here's what he came back with:

On the food-grade barrel:

"Height 40" high 15 1/4" inside top 1/8 inch thick.  Top has a 5" removable top in center.  Container had two handles built into itself.  They are used and have a slight olive smell since that is what they are used for originally.  The example barrel had its side indented from shipment, they can pop out but we didn't try to because a hammer would work best."

The 5" screw-in plug in the top, for me, is not sufficient access, but others here may be accepting of it for the $30 price.

On the IBC Tote:
The large container for you is 44" wide 37" high and 37" long and comes with 8" stand the encompasses the entire storage bin."

My mistake. It looks like the lid for the barrel does come off. That's good news. I'll post pictures later. I can't get to photobucket right now.

Tom,

You get costs on the large totes?

I'll start a new thread, but the CL ad says that they're $135, which is very reasonable given that they're local.

Wonder how much effort it would be to really clean a barrel out.. if it was olive oil, that'd be rough.  Still $5 in soap and 30 minutes or $50 for a new one.

Wonder how much effort it would be to really clean a barrel out.. if it was olive oil, that'd be rough.  Still $5 in soap and 30 minutes or $50 for a new one.

I'm wondering the same. I wonder if Richard at ERC ever finalized on a quote from his source? Were you following that thread, Wade?