Pump orientation

Djplus1

post-2633366-0-61775900-1377102928_thumb.jpg

Is there any reason I can't stand my pump in my sump like so? I'm kind of limited in space and this seems like a simple solution. It's an Eheim 1262 if that helps anything.

I don't know why not. Because the suction will be on the bottom it will suck any junk against the screen easier. If it is in a clean bottom area of the sump then no issue.

I don't know why not. Because the suction will be on the bottom it will suck any junk against the screen easier. If it is in a clean bottom area of the sump then no issue.

It's bare bottom. I have chaeto floating around and little pieces certainly are present. But perhaps I can eggcrate off a section for the pump to mitigate the issue.

I have seen those pumps in that orientation on recirculating skimmers so I know they work fine like that. The eggcrate is a good idea. Even setting the pump up an inch or so with eggcrate would be enough.

I have seen those pumps in that orientation on recirculating skimmers so I know they work fine like that. The eggcrate is a good idea. Even setting the pump up an inch or so with eggcrate would be enough.

So you're saying to stack some eggcrate under the pump to keep it off the floor basically?

BowieReefer84, on 21 Aug 2013 - 1:18 PM, said:

Fill a ziplock with sand and set it on that. Will eliminate any vibrations/sounds.

only problem there is the heat from the pump vs the ziplock bag... the bag might loose depending on how much heat the pump generates... just playing devil's advocate...

The intake side is down so there won't be much heat there. The bag will be fine. I've not seen this done before, but I'm sure that it'll be fine. It may even elevate the intake side enough so it's not sucking in a lot of debris. That's the only concern that I would have. Sumps have a way of collecting debris. If you've got a few chambers ahead of the return chamber, this should help keep the heavier stuff away from the return chamber. The only other consideration for some pumps might be the pump body heating some if it were not submersed. However, your Eheim is know to be good on power and it's had a record of use in recirculating skimmers where it has operated reliably in open air, so I wouldn't worry about that.

I'm using this to run my AquaC 180. I'm considering making it run my 2 reactors as well, but I guess I'll have to see how much I can tinker as I need about 700 gph min for the skimmer.