Mounting Lights, and I'm spent

YHSublime

Went to go mount the new it2080 over the 150 tonight, and low and behold, a toggle bolt wont go all the way into the ceiling. Those of you who have seen my tank know I already have the exact same light hung, so you're probably thinking, "that's weird, how'd you do it before?" 

I wanted to do it clean with the toggle bolt and a plate cover on this one, as I won't have the HVAC drop down running through the ceiling for the new tank in it's current location. Does anybody know where I can find the current kit that I have pictured here, or have alternative solutions?

Thanks!

Define, "Won't go all the way into the ceiling"

So I have drilled holes big enough to slide the toggles through, they wont go up far enough to latch. I don't know what happens to be above me in that area of the ceiling, but it's as far as the drill would go without hitting something it wasn't going to drill through. I'm renting at the moment, so not trying to play the "let's see what happens game." I'm also on the first floor, there is somebody directly above me, and an HVAC vent in close proximity... if the unit is set up in any logical sense, which it is probably not. 

Can you drill into whatever that barrier is? When your bit touches that barrier, does it make a sound like it's touching metal? My initial thought is it's a wood beam. Just drill a new hole 2 inches away.

Can you drill into whatever that barrier is? When your bit touches that barrier, does it make a sound like it's touching metal? My initial thought is it's a wood beam. Just drill a new hole 2 inches away.

No, doesn't sound like it is touching metal. Wood beam is probably the logical guess. 2" away, eh? 

No, doesn't sound like it is touching metal. Wood beam is probably the logical guess. 2" away, eh? 

It's probably a 2x...something up there.

Well, maybe more than 2" because you'll need to clear the toggles..you get the drift., ..It would be good if you can tell which direction the beam is running because 2" in the wrong direction (parallel to beam) will lead to the same thing.....will suck that you'll have a hole but at least it's a rental..they'll patch it when you move out. :laugh:

Edit..man, what just happened on this forum a couple of hours ago??? Wow.

Edited by howaboutme

It's probably a 2x...something up there.

Well, maybe more than 2" because you'll need to clear the toggles..you get the drift., ..It would be good if you can tell which direction the beam is running because 2" in the wrong direction (parallel to beam) will lead to the same thing.....will suck that you'll have a hole but at least it's a rental..they'll patch it when you move out. :laugh:

Wish I knew. 

Oh, and about the patching up thing, 9/10 renters prefer Crest. I've already filled 4 holes back up, can't have this place looking like a dump  :cool:

Just drill into the wood beam with a wood eyebolt. It will hold better than your toggle bolts through drywall.

and if it's not wood...  :blink:

Just drill into the wood beam with a wood eyebolt. It will hold better than your toggle bolts through drywall.

+1 to this. Mounting on the beam is the best way.....if you have the right screws.

Wish I knew. 

Oh, and about the patching up thing, 9/10 renters prefer Crest. I've already filled 4 holes back up, can't have this place looking like a dump  :cool:

It is probably running front to back, if I have to guess...If that's the case, then move your bolts towards your bedroom wall or your public corridor wall....I make no guarantees. :ph34r:

Be careful drilling or you could do what I did yesterday. I drilled right into a PVC vent line for a toilet that was in the ceiling. I had to open the ceiling up and repair the 1 1/2" pipe.

Be careful drilling or you could do what I did yesterday. I drilled right into a PVC vent line for a toilet that was in the ceiling. I had to open the ceiling up and repair the 1 1/2" pipe.

Don't scare off the poor boy!

Don't scare off the poor boy!

EGADS, it's too late for that!

The restroom is close! However, everything is close in these units. 

Anybody have any recommendations on my original question, I'd be happy to skip the toggles and play the same game. 

The hole for your toggles is probably a decent size, stick a flashlight in there and see if you see a PVC pipe. How far above the ceiling is the impediment? The plumbing related rooms are usually stacked in apt buildings....so doubt it's a water/drain pipe. Venting will go directly to the roof, in the same stack.

The hole for your toggles is probably a decent size, stick a flashlight in there and see if you see a PVC pipe. How far above the ceiling is the impediment? The plumbing related rooms are usually stacked in apt buildings....so doubt it's a water/drain pipe. Venting will go directly to the roof, in the same stack.

Once through the drywall it is probably about 1" above. 

I think I'm going to have nightmares from that painting hanging next to the tank.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

You don't love it?!

If its a joist, the drywall would be attached to it (the norm) and you wouldnt have a 1" gap. I'd definitely check with a flashlight. However,you may find 1" is more than enough headroom fir a different size Molly bolt.

I think I'm going to have nightmares from that painting hanging next to the tank.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

I think that's Isaac after a few to many. 

I think that's Isaac after a few to many. 

Haha, believe it or not, you're spot on.

I actually painted that when I was in college, it was a self portrait out of a series I did with me wearing ridiculous hats. That was before I even was into aquariums, but I had/have somewhere,this awesome octopus hat from Bush Gardens.