Matching pumps to skimmers

Djplus1

How close of a pump gph do you really need for matching a skimmer? I notice, most skimmers have a "recommended" pump and sometimes that pump kind of sucks. How many GPH up or down can you generally go without affecting the efficiency of a skimmer % wise?

Wrong forum, mods please move to general discussion.

Edited by Djplus1

IMO, if you use a lower gph pump than recommended it might not be enough to push water to the proper height nor efficient for the skimmer. However, you can use a higher gph pump than recommended and install an adjustable valve to tune to proper water level.

The stuff that I've seen indicates that you should aim for a 2-minute contact time in the skimmer body. So, let's say that the body of the skimmer will hold 1 gallon of water. That means you would want to use a feed rate of 1/2 gallon per minute which translates to 30 gallons per hour. Scale up accordingly.

Why don't you post up what skimmer or pump you are talking about in case someone has already found a replacement or modification for it?

So is the GPH rating figured with the needle wheel in use or with the regular rotor in it? The needle wheel cuts down the GPH rating a good bit.

The gph is figured for the pump that feeds water into the skimmer. For a non-recirculating skimmer, it's the sum of all the needlewheels, mesh wheels, or ant other pump that's feeding water in. For a recirculating skimmer, it's the feed pump and anything else feeding water thru the skimmer.

Justin posted this guideline a few months back. It's origins are in work and publications by Frank Marini, I believe.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 4

Its an AquaC EV 180. Apparently the Mag 7 is recommended, but everyone uses the Mag 9.5. I want to use something other than the Mags, perhaps Eheim 1262 or Sicce Synchra 4?

If people are having good results with the 9.5 then the 1262 or the Synchra 4 seem to be really good replacements for it since they are close to the same GPH and have the same head pressures so they should handle the 180's injector fine. Even though the 1262 is about 50 GPH estimate flow less it is still well over the flow of the Mag 7 which is recommended.

I run a synchra 2 for my return, replacing a mag 5 and really like it. I figure the skimmer would be the same situation. I'm open to other choices in that price range too, provided they are quiet and reliable.

How about the Speedwave DC-5000? It would use half the power as the others and you can control it down to the flow of the skimmer you need yet still have the capability of more flow if you change setups.

The Diablo DC-3500 only does 925gph which is still way over the Mag7 but only pulls 30 watts!

Are the DC pumps reliable? The speedwave dc-5000 or the wave line dc-4000 both look intriguing.

Just set up a DC 6000, I'm very pleased. It's only been 2 hours though. Quantum was out of stock in 2 days... So supply is limited, or demand is high, or both. Still need the test of time.

A deep blue triton 5 pump is a perfect pump for that skimmer

runs around 100.00 and will pull under 40 watts .

A speedwave/dc10000 is a great pump also and can be found

for 200.00 and running it on a low setting for your skimmer

will keep heat low on the power pack which helps .

The big speedwave is completely silent when run on its

lower settings mine has been running perfect for 9 months.

I have 2 db triton 5 pumps that are not as silent as the speedwave

but are great pumps i have run them on skimmers[aquac 1000/120 ..etss 1000]

and as return pumps and they pull very low power for there performance.