Powerhead placement

Enkay

Here's another newbie question.

What is the best placement for powerheads. I understand you should try and eliminate dead spots but what I would like to know is, is it necessary to have 2 powerheads at the opposite ends of the tank (4 x 2 x 2) or is it ok to create flow inoly one direction. Have one high and one low on the same side?

Thanks!

I personally have noticed by having them on oposite ends of the aquarium provides a lot more circulation within the tank.  I have one high and one low on each end. 

I had a bad Cyano problem about 2 months ago and when I rearanged my powerheads for better circulation, the cyano lifted up and I was able to remove most of it by hand...  but I will also throw in here that I guarentee it really does matter when you start talking about brands of powerheads... MP10/40/60 and Tunze compared to Hydor Korilla and others means a great deal.

Thank you Tony.

Currently I have 2 MP40s and 3 Hydor Koralia. Not sure how many I will need to use in the 120 but was hopng I could get away with using them on one side or the back of the tank as the one side and front are the display sides.

I have not seen MP40's in action... But I hear nothing but the great performance they provide. I own 2 of the korilla 850's for my itty bitty 36g and think I could possible use another powerhead lol either that or I need to clean them out. Pineapple sponges are over running my tank!

I'm sure someone with experience with a larger tank setup will chime in here and give you great advice

I didn't have any corals in my last big tank, but I had 2 lock line return nozzles off of 2 return lines going back into the display, and then 1 powerhead one one side of the tank...that worked well in my FOWLR....now depending on how much flow and return lines you have coming back into the display, you may need 1 or 3 powerheads....

If you only have 1 or 2 returns coming I to the DT...you will need more powerheads to help with the flow :)

I have 2 returns at the back at the top of the DT. The locklines plit it into 4 (2 outlets on each). I am planning on keeping softies for a while and then as the tank matures probably will try my hand at some lps. Not going for sps (although I love them) for a year at least.

As far the scape goes, I am probably not going to build anything high. Mostly rock lying around distributed throughout the tank, about at the most a foot high.

I really would like to keep 2 sides (front and right) not have any obstructions in the display hence if I can get away with enough flow with left and back holding the powerheads, it will be an ideal situation. Hence the question.

Yeah, sounds like you may only need one on the side wall...one you get everything settled where you want it just play with it for a week or so...you'll be able to see dead spots after a few days and correct the amount of flow or add the other mp on the back wall perhaps...

Yeah, sounds like you may only need one on the side wall...one you get everything settled where you want it just play with it for a week or so...you'll be able to see dead spots after a few days and correct the amount of flow or add the other mp on the back wall perhaps...

How can someone "see" dead spots?

I have a 90 gallon and the rock structure is open on one end and kind of closed on the other end.  I don't get good flow from my 2 loc-line returns so I have 1 1200 maxi-jet on each end (one pointing to the front and one to the back) with a Wavemaster Pro connected to them.  I think this is working fine for now (I say for now because the maxijets make a loud humming sound when alternating) but want to get into 2 MP-10s. 

Do you think 2 mp10s will work in a 90 gallon tank?  can you recommend another brand comparable to mp10s?

thanks

Edited by FrankieGee

If you have sand, and leave it for a week or so with the rock in place, you can see where diatoms gather in a new tank....if there are dead spots...now if he was gonna throw in his fish and such then it's harder, but even in my tank that's been setup for over a year when I moved a powerhead and thought I didn't need it, I now have a collection spot for detritus and diatoms/cyano...on,y spot in the entire tank...

Yes, that is correct. Even in my fresh water tanks, its where all the gunk goes and accumulates is where there is no flow. Its not that hard to figure out to change the direction or position. 

So all in all, I should just make sure that all "corners" in the tank are getting a good flow. Right ? It should not matter if the flow is in one direction or multiple. I am thinking of putting the mp40s on the left side and then one more at the back at the opposite end. 

We'll see how it works. 

Thanks for all the input guys. Very helpful.

How can someone "see" dead spots?

I have a 90 gallon and the rock structure is open on one end and kind of closed on the other end.  I don't get good flow from my 2 loc-line returns so I have 1 1200 maxi-jet on each end (one pointing to the front and one to the back) with a Wavemaster Pro connected to them.  I think this is working fine for now (I say for now because the maxijets make a loud humming sound when alternating) but want to get into 2 MP-10s. 

Do you think 2 mp10s will work in a 90 gallon tank?  can you recommend another brand comparable to mp10s?

thanks

Get in on the jebao group buy and buy 1 WP40 and call it a day. Under $100 and you will have a huge wave in your 90.

Don't buy the Chinese junk, you've got two amazing mp40's. For an Lps /Softie tank you could put both on the back about 8-12 from each corner. Use the short pulse mode (blue) and custom set it to give a nice wave motion. It will make the coral pulse and sway, they will be happy. It will still move water around great. Imo using a turkey baster to blow off the rocks and some of those dead zones weekly or biweekly is also important. You dont need blasting flow for what your wanting to keep. In fact to much flow and most Lps will be very unhappy. 2 mp40's is plenty for.that tank and it will look much cleaner not having ugly cords hanging in your tank. Using them on the back wall is also nice bc it hides the pumps from side view as well.

I plan on using two mp-40's, and two of the jebao jb-40's in a 150. The MP40's are already hooked up on the back wall on either end, and I will probably put the JB's on the side.