Would a tang eat peppermint shrimp?

YHSublime

I recently rehomed an orange spot tang that was in my tank to help controll some of the algae. While she was in there, I also had 15 peppermint shrimp added. I realize that peppermints usually stay out of sight, but it just dawned on me this morning that I have not seen a peppermint shrimp in my tank for months now, is it possible that the tang feasted? Granted, after adding the 15, I usually only saw 1 or 2, but my tank isn't huge...

Peps are magical things....you can put a boat load in the tank and literally never see them again or their carcasses and yet the aptasia will mock you from the rocks. I think aptasia eats them not tangs ha ha

How big was the tang? I know my 10" vlamingii eats ghost shrimp which are about the size of a peppermint. If you have a sump check down there because mine always seemed to end up in the sump and skimmer pump.

It was 3-3.5". I have been looking at the tank in the dark, but have yet to drop food in at that time. I've found all sorts of things i didn't know existed. Pods almost the size of pennies, urchins (I have never put urchins into my tank) bristle worms! It's quite a show.

I have done work on the sump recently, and not seen them down there, just pods and snails in the cheeto.

I got a skunk for free with a purchase at A1 a while back......Completely forgot that I had a pistol shrimp until he was parading around with the skunks head. Not a Tang, and a sad series of events but in retrospect the mental image of the pistol is hilarious.

I doubt a tang that size would eat them. I would like to see pics of the penny size pods, that sounds kind of huge for them.

So, there is a slight exageration there, they are not round like pennies, but they are definitly almost the length, almost look like little underwater grasshoppers.

I got a skunk for free with a purchase at A1 a while back......Completely forgot that I had a pistol shrimp until he was parading around with the skunks head. Not a Tang, and a sad series of events but in retrospect the mental image of the pistol is hilarious.

So good call here. I do have a pistol shrimp.

So, there is a slight exageration there, they are not round like pennies, but they are definitly almost the length, almost look like little underwater grasshoppers.

Ok that's hysterical as I think we all went what the H-E-double hockey sticks does Isaac have in his tank?? As we glanced at a penny....

Isaac,

I've read on some forums that some nems can eat peppermints if they get too close....maybe someone w/ more experience can chime in.

I've got 4 peps in with my 3 bta's...never eaten one...they've eaten molts...and I've had my maxi minis eat one that mistakenly tried to walk across one,lol

So good call here. I do have a pistol shrimp.

Now this was in my 30 and hiding places were at a premium but just thought FYI. And still picturing the pistol wearing a skunk cleaner hat.