Frag Fest Frags - placement

mling

Thanks to Frag fest last week, I now have Favia and Chalice. I have never has such frags before, like thick mosaic tiles. Do you attach them to a rock and have them encrust the rock?  Does  it take a very long time to for them to grow ?  I am sure they don’t spread quickly like Xenia. Where would be the best place to put these, do they require lots of light ?

What kind of light do you have??? And Are you talking about the Pineapple Favia? and I could only imagine what kind of chalice...
     But Nonetheless...  Start with them on the bottom , and move them up... Generally Speaking.. They do like High light.( most Chalices and Favia do...), And No, They do not Grow Fast... They do in a sense... but Nothin' like Xenia...

Keep it in a nice Moderate flow as well... I keep mine in a spot, where my current.... Kinda' alternates a lil' but does get a nice bit of a rush too... but not all the time... does that make sense??? lol
   So.... Good Light... Moderate to High Flow.... and Slow Growers...

Favias do like moderate ti high light but chalices like low light. I recommend starting both out low in the tank to adjust to your light intensity then begin moving them up. The chalice i would keep low in the tank though.

Some chalices grow very slow some faster favia on the other hand typically are slower to encrust. Do you have a pic of the chalice? If its a piece of the one I donated that chalice like very low light its color came out much more with less light

Favias do like moderate ti high light but chalices like low light. I recommend starting both out low in the tank to adjust to your light intensity then begin moving them up. The chalice i would keep low in the tank though.

Some chalices grow very slow some faster favia on the other hand typically are slower to encrust. Do you have a pic of the chalice? If its a piece of the one I donated that chalice like very low light its color came out much more with less light

Good call about the Chalice's... I just asked... because before my current light I'm using.. I had not even a 1W -> Gallon Ratio... Only Reason I asked. lol. 

Did you donate one of these ?  Coal ignorant me is assuming that they are all Chalices.

#1 post-290-0-91839100-1374966829_thumb.jpg

#2 post-290-0-29621500-1374966830_thumb.jpg

#3 post-290-0-76840500-1374966830_thumb.jpg

I have LEDs

Where should the frag be placed in pic#1 go?

Everything should always start on the sand bed and be moved up slowly over time until they seem happiest.

I got some of that #1 too, but literally 80% of it was dead the moment I got home. Still is really, as I have it at the bottom of my tank holding out hope that it will come around. Shame too, since it was a really large piece.

all mine seem to be doing ok, the acro i split again so that i could have a 50/50 chance splitting it between 2 different tanks before I switch most of my stuff over the my 155g

(edited)

I have #1 too. It's my photo #4 in my thread:

http://wamas.org/forums/topic/59001-help-identifying-ffe-corals-please/

It's on the sandbed right in the middle of the tank and it's doing well. It did take a while to start dramatically showing the eye though. I'd give it some time for it to come around. It was donated by Reefescape but haven't heard of what exactly it is yet.

Edited by howaboutme

I too got 2 very large pieces of a chalice that are completely white.  I'm holding out hope that they turn around for me, have them at the bottom rack of my frag tank, but I'm thinking they are getting too much light.  I might need to make some sort of shaded area for it.

I too got 2 very large pieces of a chalice that are completely white.  I'm holding out hope that they turn around for me, have them at the bottom rack of my frag tank, but I'm thinking they are getting too much light.  I might need to make some sort of shaded area for it.

Did it bleach after the dip?  Depending on what dip was used and duration, some corals have been known to bleach and recover after a few weeks.

Place in an area with 75-100 PAR until recovered and slowly move to moderate (100-300 PAR) area.  Direct feeding will speed the recovery process.  The coral needs to grow zooxanthellae.   

Did it bleach after the dip?  Depending on what dip was used and duration, some corals have been known to bleach and recover after a few weeks.

Place in an area with 75-100 PAR until recovered and slowly move to moderate (100-300 PAR) area.  Direct feeding will speed the recovery process.  The coral needs to grow zooxanthellae.   

not sure if it bleached before or after the dip, as I did the dip right when I got home from FFE.  I need to get a PAR meter darn it!  I hear they are quite pricey.

not sure if it bleached before or after the dip, as I did the dip right when I got home from FFE.  I need to get a PAR meter darn it!  I hear they are quite pricey.

Borrow the WAMAS PAR meter or build your own for approximately $160, very easy DIY.