Who wants to Help Drill a tank???

When you do this, if it is tempered you will see uneven dark spots in the glass from the heating and cooling process. Look at it from different angles. Similar marks can be seen in a car's rear and side windows with polarized sunglasses on.

If you can't carry the tank outside, you can also use a laptop or cell phone screen as shown in this link. http://www.salt-city.org/showthread.php?9542-How-to-tell-if-glass-is-tempered

I have always wondered what I was seeing when driving with my sunglasses on! Thanks for the info!

Yeah, the 10's are fragile. Not just to drill but after the bulkhead is installed and slight movement or pressure on the installed pipe and, "crack!"

I don't mess with putty or other ways to dam up water, I just keep a hose constantly flow cool water over the site as I drill. It also helps to flush out the hole.

This is so true. I have done this on 10, 5, and 16 gallon tanks... you would think that eventually I would learn that the pipe is not a suitable handle! 

I also agree with CH here. I have never built a dam around a hole for a water pool. I usually just use a spray bottle and spray as I go. A hose would probably be better, but I live in an apartment and don't have such luxuries.

This is so true. I have done this on 10, 5, and 16 gallon tanks... you would think that eventually I would learn that the pipe is not a suitable handle! 

I also agree with CH here. I have never built a dam around a hole for a water pool. I usually just use a spray bottle and spray as I go. A hose would probably be better, but I live in an apartment and don't have such luxuries.

When I drilled my 210 with 4 holes for 1-1/2" bulkheads, I did so inside the house and while it was vertical on the stand. No damming to hold pooled water was reasonably possible. I only used a 16 ounce water bottle with holes poked into the top to wash away the dust from grinding and to keep the glass cool. For such thick glass (1/2"), if you go slow, a squirt every 10 seconds or so, that was all that was needed for the job. I kept a towel on the floor to catch the runoff and started with a new bit. Oh, and I taped the backside of the hole (inside the aquarium) with duct tape to keep the blank from dropping in and causing damage. I also put a towel in there just in case.

I like to drill from the inside out if I can so if it spalls out it doesn't happen where the gasket would go. For a big tank in the house I have filled the tank with some water, then use a small powerhead with a hose on it to constantly flow water over the drill site.

I like to drill from the inside out if I can so if it spalls out it doesn't happen where the gasket would go.

Good idea. It seems that there's always a little chipping at the back end.

Another technique tip, when I first notice a little break-through happening (water starts to appear on the back side of the hole), I slow the drill down, ease up a little, and proceed slowly. This minimizes (but never eliminates) chipping on the back side of the hole.

Well I think I'm just goin' to have you all come on Over.. Because now My friend wants his tank drilled 2 houses up at the same time... So... Let make this happen... BBQ and Beer/soda/water will be Served and supplied for helping out... And now I'll owe you all a favor. ;)

Good idea. It seems that there's always a little chipping at the back end.

Another technique tip, when I first notice a little break-through happening (water starts to appear on the back side of the hole), I slow the drill down, ease up a little, and proceed slowly. This minimizes (but never eliminates) chipping on the back side of the hole.

Great Idea...

You need to get the tanks together and know where you want the holes and what size holes you need.

You need to get the tanks together and know where you want the holes and what size holes you need.

Yup, I'm helping him to Decide on his tank tonight... And I'm just trying to find another one soon enough that'll work... That is today's Main Mission Goal.

I read that one a couple months ago. :) Great piece of information. Thanks Integra. I think it says somewhere in that, that it's better to have the hole in  a Clay or Putty Type of Ring

The look would  just be better, and the placement in my room... would allow me more room to walk around... not Much... but at least a lil' more... and I dunnooo... Is a possibility... I already have a 40 in my room.... I'll go take a look... I duinno tho'

:mellow:  :blink:

I read that one a couple months ago. :) Great piece of information. Thanks Integra. I think it says somewhere in that, that it's better to have the hole in a Clay or Putty Type of Ring

That's how I drilled my tanks, 135 & 30. I used plumbers putty to build a wall though, and rapid the back wall with duct tape. Basically all you are try to accomplish is to keep the bit and glass cool or it will crack. One thing that is key to remember, you are not cutting the glass, rather you are grinding through it. Patience is key.

If you go the bath route instead of the stream the water will turn milky white as it fills up with tiny bits of broken glass. Dispose of this water and broken glass carefully. It is very bad if you injest any of it. I wouldn't even get it on my skin if I could help it. Soaking it up in a paper towel worked well for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

The look would  just be better, and the placement in my room... would allow me more room to walk around... not Much... but at least a lil' more... and I dunnooo... Is a possibility... I already have a 40 in my room.... I'll go take a look... I duinno tho'

:mellow:  :blink:

Ok. Just I dont think the tempered question was settled with the 55. Common wisdom is that they are all tempered. Be careful.