My GBTA split

Oprah Wrangler

I acquired a gbta from my brothers at Quantum on the day of their grand opening.  It found a spot it liked and colored up very nicely.  Then on Monday it decided to take a walk about.  I thought nothing of it, though it was intriguing that it would go for a roam after such a while in one place.  Then, this morning, I noticed it had settled in on the other side of the tank and discovered a smaller one, about a quarter the size, in its old spot.  They both look great.  Do you guys think I should try and feed them tonight?  The larger one would not eat before but now I am starting to think it is because it was working on a clone.  Thanks Quantum for getting and selling good livestock.

Give it a week, no need to feed immediately, IMO.

It takes a week, normally more, to fully heal and create an oral opening that functions properly. Start with small items of food at first.

Since the asexual reproduction event can be cause by stressful triggers, probably a new tank in this case, I would still just double check your tanks parameters to make sure everything is still where it should be.

Thanks, fortunately the tank is a year or more old.  I made sure that my prams were in line before I added it and I have made sure to check them weekly since the addition.  Everything is WNL.  Do they also split for the other spectrum of tank life, things being ideal?

Ive found an easy way to induce large BTA's to make clones- 

Remove said anemone from presumably brightly lit tank.

Place in sump or very dim environment for a week.

Place in brightly lit tank.

Count the clones.

This has worked for me on 3 separate occasions.

(edited)

Thanks, fortunately the tank is a year or more old.  I made sure that my prams were in line before I added it and I have made sure to check them weekly since the addition.  Everything is WNL.  Do they also split for the other spectrum of tank life, things being ideal?

They can and do split naturally, just because. At least from what I have read about. Stress is also a big one. I have read that feeding a big serving and then doing a large water change can induce a split, but it sounds to me like one of those old wives tales....

I will have to try what Rob suggested, I have never heard that before...

Edited by YHSublime

I have read that feeding a big serving and then doing a large water change can induce a split, but it sounds to me like one of those old wives tales....

I will have to try what Rob suggested, I have never heard that before...

The large water change can shock the anemone which can cause it to split, again it is a stress reflex, but not really that effective.

Not all BTA's will asexually multiply as there are two types. The larger solitary ones that can reach to about 18" do not split like the smaller types which live in groups. Here are some pics of my old tank that had over 50 anemones in it.

gallery_196_420_64022.jpg

gallery_196_420_705005.jpg

Now I'm just curious about what happened to that gigantic clam!

Excited and intrigued...got up this morning and I have another clone.  I checked my prams again just to make sure things were on the right track and they are still WNL.  Observation will continue.  If this keeps up, i will have an anemone only tank...lol

is it at the thai restaurant now?

That clam has been around the club. I got it from "Valeria" when she moved, then when I moved I sold it "learning", I think he passed it on to a family member way out of the state. It was 15" long when I had it. 

All of this action...watch the dang thing die on me...lol

They are tough little guys, I'm sure it will be fine. In a few more months you will probably have four to deal with.