shipping sps colonies across country

Javed Aman

I'm looking to ship SPS colonies from my tank in MD to my new tank in CA. Most of the colonies are in the ball park of 3" x 3" x 3", though some are bigger in some dimensions. What is the absolute safest way to ship them? 

This is what I have planned (based on the info I've gathered from numerous threads):

1) Buy a bunch of tall tupperware containers. 

2) cut colony from live rock, hopefully leaving a bit of the live rock where it encrusted. 

3) place base of colony on styrofoam cut out (approximately the size of of the opening of the tupperware container).

4) fill tupperware with tank water enough to submerge colony

5) place colony upside down into tupperware container, hopefully leaving some air above the styrofoam.

6) cover all tupperware with plastic aquarium bags

7) place all tupperware containers into fitted styrofoam box

8) fill gaps with packaging peanuts

9) tape appropriate heatpack to lid

10) place in accompanying box and ship overnight via FedEx

Is it worth wrapping the colonies in paper towels? I've never had corals shipped that way. Though I will do anything to boost chances of surviving. Should I remove acro crabs and ship them separately?

It might be more cost effective to sell all stock here and buy new when you get to CA. 3" frags are easy to replace....

Somewhere between step 3 and 5, you're supposed to attach the base to the styro but if you do what youre describing, the frag tips will be smashed between the bottom of the container from sloshing around.

Ask Sean at F&F how his frags are packed from the acro seller.

Only problem I see with shipping larger Colony's is them breaking during transit. almost impossible to ship them without some sort of breakage. Also the cost of shipping is crazy! depending on box size, weight and dimensions determines how much shipping will be. I ship 1.5 lb boxes and costs me from $55-$65 in a 6x6x5 box. something to keep in mind

I would agree with zygote in trying to sell them local then start over, just so many variables with shipping. unless you have some very rare pieces that you can have a buddy hold until you get new tank set up and stable

Only problem I see with shipping larger Colony's is them breaking during transit.

Some tips might break but for the most part they arrive safely. The mari-cultured colonies you see in the store are shipped from the other side of the world and they make it here for the most part un-broken. Rubber banding them to styrofoam cut slightly larger than the coral keeps them under water and centered in the bag.

Check into shipping it via air cargo, this is very cheap and always faster. Basically you are doing the same thing as Fedex would do but you're driving it directly to the airport yourself and it's not sitting in some Fedex truck or sort facility for hours.

Why heatpacks? This time of the year you would want cold packs.

I would use bags and not tupperware. One, the bags are lighter and cost less. Two, bags have some give to them so there would be less coral or even container breakage if the box takes a hit.

We would be more than happy to help you bag everything and ack ot up. We get a good discount with fedex as well and are only 10 minutes from Frederick. Like coralhind said, these are shipped in from all over tge world and can be packaged correctly to ensure a good arrival

Double up on plastic bags. Much less problem with them possibly opening up and they have softer sides than tupperware.

If SPS, bag them with no air over the top. (I think that Sean told me that years ago.) I think that may be to keep the water from sloshing around and can hold the coral more stable in the bag.

There's no need for heat packs at this time of year.

Definitely check shipping Air Cargo. Be sure that you understand the pick up location & procedures at the other end, though.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions!

It might be more cost effective to sell all stock here and buy new when you get to CA. 3" frags are easy to replace....

Somewhere between step 3 and 5, you're supposed to attach the base to the styro but if you do what youre describing, the frag tips will be smashed between the bottom of the container from sloshing around.

Ask Sean at F&F how his frags are packed from the acro seller.

Well not exactly 3" frags as much as colonies, most of which took years to grow with dozens/hundreds of branches. I may have underestimated the size, likely closer to 4" x 4" x 4", but I'm in CA now and can't verify. Step 3 is where I attach the base to the styro. If the styro is fitted to the top container, there would be no way for the coral to move around, right? 

The approach is an adaptation from this video. 

Some tips might break but for the most part they arrive safely. The mari-cultured colonies you see in the store are shipped from the other side of the world and they make it here for the most part un-broken. Rubber banding them to styrofoam cut slightly larger than the coral keeps them under water and centered in the bag.

Check into shipping it via air cargo, this is very cheap and always faster. Basically you are doing the same thing as Fedex would do but you're driving it directly to the airport yourself and it's not sitting in some Fedex truck or sort facility for hours.

Why heatpacks? This time of the year you would want cold packs.

I would use bags and not tupperware. One, the bags are lighter and cost less. Two, bags have some give to them so there would be less coral or even container breakage if the box takes a hit.

Do you have any suggestions for an air cargo? The problem with that is that I would need someone to take the corals the same day since I myself would have to fly back from MD to CA. 

Doesn't using bags defeat the purpose of putting them on styrofoam bases? It would seem that the coral is more likely to hit the sides of a flexible bag than a rigid container. But I assume the bags should be rigid enough to not collapse on the coral.

We would be more than happy to help you bag everything and ack ot up. We get a good discount with fedex as well and are only 10 minutes from Frederick. Like coralhind said, these are shipped in from all over tge world and can be packaged correctly to ensure a good arrival

That would be great!!! I'll send you a PM soon, when I have my plans for MD settled. 

Double up on plastic bags. Much less problem with them possibly opening up and they have softer sides than tupperware.

If SPS, bag them with no air over the top. (I think that Sean told me that years ago.) I think that may be to keep the water from sloshing around and can hold the coral more stable in the bag.

There's no need for heat packs at this time of year.

Definitely check shipping Air Cargo. Be sure that you understand the pick up location & procedures at the other end, though.

Yes sorry I meant cold pack. I'll look into air cargo a bit more. 

Only problem I see with shipping larger Colony's is them breaking during transit. almost impossible to ship them without some sort of breakage. Also the cost of shipping is crazy! depending on box size, weight and dimensions determines how much shipping will be. I ship 1.5 lb boxes and costs me from $55-$65 in a 6x6x5 box. something to keep in mind

I would agree with zygote in trying to sell them local then start over, just so many variables with shipping. unless you have some very rare pieces that you can have a buddy hold until you get new tank set up and stable

Yes the colonies I'm shipping are fairly rare and have been with me sometime. I've already given away/sold my other colonies. Shipping costs are high, but I don't necessarily mind them. I stupidly spent $150 to have all of my LPS/softies and fish sent to me.

Thanks again everyone!

I've used US Airways Cargo and Delta Cargo. Going air cargo depends on how many corals you have to ship. If it is just few it could be cheaper going Fedex but if the total of all boxes is over 100lbs then air cargo would be cheaper. Since this is kind of a new process for you, using the help offered by ERC will probably be the easiest for you.

The contact page on this site has the number to call to get more info.

http://www.usairways.com/en-US/traveltools/cargo/default.html

• 1 month later...

Had the corals shipped. Unfortunately most of them didn't make it. Pretty heartbroken. I think the best approach would have been to sell the colonies in MD and start fresh over here. 

Had the corals shipped. Unfortunately most of them didn't make it. Pretty heartbroken. I think the best approach would have been to sell the colonies in MD and start fresh over here. 

what was the packing process that you used? why did the corals not make it?

Wow, that stinks. I like to hear more details too as to why they didn't make it. How long were they bagged? What was the temp like when you got them?

+1. You may not want to re-live it, but please do tell us what you think went wrong. It could help us understand what not to do next time. I'm really sorry for your losses and heartbreak.