Tank is dying a slow death... Can someone help?

pettyrd

Nope... No kids. Maybe a mad girlfriend... "You spend too much time on that tank!"

Can't say how many times I've heard that!!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will check the heaters... I haven't in a long time.

My fish seem very happy... An the only inverts I have are snails. And they are content. My two anemones died though RBTA and Sebae.

I had a glass heater that cracked and did pretty much what you described and oddly enough. MY temp didn't change so I wasn't even aware it was happeneing...my fish were fine but corals were going south FAST. Now it's titanium for me

Make sure she doesn't do any cleaning around the tank. Mine sprayed window cleaner on the tank when I first entered the hobby and the overspray went into the tank which caused a mess. I think another member here had a maid service do the same thing. I've read threads where people have had exterminators spray near the tank and cause issues. Just something to think about but the water change and poly filter should clear most of that up.

Air freshners too.....

(edited)

null-2.jpg

null-3.jpg

null-1.jpg

null.jpg

Edited by Origami
embedded images

One of those is a pic of my large polyp acan (edges are dying)

Another is my green cyphasyria

One is the color void meat coral

And one is my elegance colony (doing ok)

Copy and paste the "IMG" codes if you want the pictures to show here. The actinic is so strong I can't really tell if the corals' colors are off or bleached. Everything looks almost normal to me.

null.jpg

null-1.jpg

null-2.jpg

null-3.jpg

I can see where the edges of the acan and cyphastreaare looking ragged and your meat coral looks a bit bleached but everything else looks fine to my eye....

How old are the bulbs? If old you might want to increase photo period or replace them. If newly replaced then they might be getting to much light.

did the problems begin with the anemone's dying?  they could have released some toxins.  whether that's the cause or not, a water change should help.  sorry for your setbacks.

The bulbs are about 10 months old. Should I increase the photo period?

(edited)

Did your water plant change from using chlorine to chloramine?

Edited by brad908

What fish do you have?

I have a large Vlamingi tang, yellow yang, 6 line wrasse, pair of jigsaw clowns and a purple dotty back.

when was the last time you changed you RO filters?  if asked already i might have missed it. sorry.

I haven't changed the filters. They are less than six months old.

First off, did you figure out what caused the cloudy tank a few months back?

My best guess is that I didn't dunce my Phosguard well enough before putting it into my media reactor. Once I doubled my filter pads and collected the sediment, the tank went back to normal.

Did your water plant change from using chlorine to chloramine?

I'm on well water at my house.

How r u measuring your salinity? If refractometer, check the calibration. I had similar symptoms a few months back and come to find out my refractometer was significantly off ( before cal it was 1.026 and after it was 1.018).

+1 on check the heater. Could be a small crack that doesnt effect the temps. Also, how do the snails look.  My first indication of faulty heaters was there were no snails on the glass.