All you Apex gurus

YHSublime

So I'm getting ready to setup my apex I don't have a fish room, and it's not an option, so unfortunately I'm mounting everything to the wall besides my tank. it's not the cleanest look, but I can hard wire it to my router, and I don't have to (unless the tank breaks) worry about water spilling on it.

I have an Apex Jr. with the powerbar 8 that I'm going to daisy chain with a USB. I have a VDM (which I don't think I'll be using as I have the it2080 evergrow lights, which are programmable themselves.) I also have the PM1, with plans to get the PH and ORP probes down the line. Way down the line probably.

So my question is, I have everything setup waiting to be plugged in, if I don't program anything, it will presumably act as a very, very, expensive power strip... correct? If the answer to this is, "yes," or perhaps, "yes, you fool, but why aren't you spending all night trying to work it out and learning all sorts of code you have no idea about?!" My answer to that is, I really just want to clear up all the clutter of my power strips and cleanly mount all my equipment plugs, and THEN, I'll go into a cave and ask lots of silly questions on WAMAS, and probably join the Apex forum.

Thanks in advance!

You could at least rename the outlets on your powerbar with what is plugged into them. Oh, and the default is that theyre set to auto with some default program that turns them on and off all the time. You should set them to off or on if you want to use them as a powerstrip.

Ok, so name everything that's plugged into the powerbars, and go through and turn everything to "on," or else the default program will run them off/on. I honestly don't even know how to do that, but I can take a bit of time tonight to figure it out. Just don't want to head to work tomorrow morning and find my heaters/pump/skimmer, all that jazz, have been shutting on and off all day long!

sigh..this is my world too....

i keep thinking if I can just do this once I dont ever have to do it again....but that doesnt seem to be motivation enough lol

I only know how to do it with the web interface, which I assume the Jr has.  Just click on Outlets under configuration and pick the one you want to rename from the dropbox one at a time and start renaming them in the text box and hitting save.  Then on the front dashboard that loads as the default turn them on/off as your heart desires.  They're probably named things like "Skimmer, pump, powerhead" and stuff right now.

sigh..this is my world too....

i keep thinking if I can just do this once I dont ever have to do it again....but that doesnt seem to be motivation enough lol

I'm really interested in learning, but it seems like when you do it's a lot of time invested from the get go. Should have started this Friday night.

I only know how to do it with the web interface, which I assume the Jr has.  Just click on Outlets under configuration and pick the one you want to rename from the dropbox one at a time and start renaming them in the text box and hitting save.  Then on the front dashboard that loads as the default turn them on/off as your heart desires.  They're probably named things like "Skimmer, pump, powerhead" and stuff right now.

Super helpful, thanks Alan.

I only use the web interface as well, the JR. does have it, and my Frankenstein combo never came with a display. At first I was heartbroken, but since I've networked it, I prefer the web browser, it's a similar concept to doing something on your phone vs. your laptop. It seems like there are a LOT of things I'll be able to do, just need to start getting comfortable with it.

I would say read first then connect and then change the outlet profiles.  Go to the neptune systems website and click documentation.  There is a quick setup guide so that you can access your Apex Jr. on the web interface.  Once connected, you can do what Alan M. suggests.  

I would say read first then connect and then change the outlet profiles.  Go to the neptune systems website and click documentation.  There is a quick setup guide so that you can access your Apex Jr. on the web interface.  Once connected, you can do what Alan M. suggests.  

Thanks. I've actually done all that already. I'm already ecstatic that I can check my tank temperature from my phone!

Be aware that sometimes your Apex will not recognize your strip correctly, so it's not as simple as plug in and it's on. I had to sit on the phone with Neptune, because for some reason, my EB8 was listed as a second EB8 or some garbage, so whatever I did to set it up didn't technically work on "my" EB8, but the "other" EB8. I had to delete the other profile to get mine to work, even as a "power strip".

Here you go... this is my apex and its assocaited outlet programs:  http://www.reeftronics.net/reefwade/apex-program

It is really very simple. No real language learning required.  The reeftronics website shows everyone's programs and there are many online to browse.

My apex lite has:  skimmer, return pump, 2x seaswirls (no real need), heater, 2x leak detectors (plus module), my Avast topoff (coming soon), and a fan inside the cabinet. I do not use it to control my radion LEDs or mp40s.

The powerstrip has 2 slots for high draw devices.  Don't use anything that is high draw on the strip without being in those or it will fry the relays.  Otherwise, I don't see any issues with any equipment.

You will need to make sure that if you use it with halide lighting to program in down time in case of power failure.  MH's don't like cranking up right after power outtage or power flickering.

I put in a delay with my skimmer because when the sump fills from power outtage/feed cycle it is too deep and the skimmer will start spewing out of the cup. The delay and the native OFF position help with that.

Are there any pieces of equipment that are best NOT hooked up? If so why?Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

The powerstrip has 2 slots for high draw devices.  Don't use anything that is high draw on the strip without being in those or it will fry the relays.  Otherwise, I don't see any issues with any equipment.

You will need to make sure that if you use it with halide lighting to program in down time in case of power failure.  MH's don't like cranking up right after power outtage or power flickering.

I put in a delay with my skimmer because when the sump fills from power outtage/feed cycle it is too deep and the skimmer will start spewing out of the cup. The delay and the native OFF position help with that.

Sachabballi- yes there are things you should not hook up, but there is a work around.

Wade- the relay switches are not necessarily for high draw, in fact the opposite. Low draw items like a toms aqua lifter will not have enough current on the triac switches and will NEED to be on one of the two mechanical switches so the apex will turn them on and off. Otherwise your aqua lifter on an ato may turn on, but not off. What you do in this particular instance If you want your aqua lifter on a triac, I hooked up a lighted pig tail on that outlet and plug your aqua lifter into that. Then there is enough draw to use that device. You ideally want your two mechanical switches on something that turns on a couple times a day, like lights, so you don't burn out the relay, but it has nothing to do with draw. This way you also don't hear the click as you would with an ato going off a couple times an hour.

I hope this was relatively clear as I ran into this exact issue.

Sachabballi- yes there are things you should not hook up, but there is a work around.

Well,that's suspenseful.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

You can use it to control a pump/powerhead if you have a device for triggering when it needs to turn on  off.  For example, I picked up an Avast! ATO and plugged it into my IO socket on my Apex Lite. Its state (closed = let the topoff flow) then determines what the controller does with the pump's outlet.

You can use it to control something like a peristaltic pump based on time (eg, on for 5 mins every hour) as well.

Djplus1 - you are correct, thanks for that. I was confusing issues based on something I read on reefcentral which doesn't appear in the manual anywhere.

Make sure when you program the outlets that you pay attention to its fail setting.  For example I keep my tank between 77-79 degress and I set my heaters to 80 degrees on their dials so if the apex fails they don't cook the tank.  For this to work properly you have to set your heater outlet to fail ON so your heaters will still work.  If you set the outlet to fail OFF then your heaters will not come on and if its cold your tank will suffer.  Programing the Apex is a little daunting when you first do it but once you get it right its easy. 

I have a BRS doser and use the apex to turn the outlet on for a couple minutes based on how much I want the units to dose.  I make sure this outlet is set to fail OFF so I don't overdose the tank if the apex fails.

I also connect my ATO to the apex and have it turn on for 1 minute twice a day so I don't have an ATO problem.  This outlet I have set to fail ON so if the apex fails the ATO will still do its job and just rely on the sensors until I fix the apex.

Depending on the type of lights you are using you might want to connect them to the Apex anywyas because you can program the Apex to turn the lights off if the tank gets to hot.  When I had T5's over my office tank occasionally it would get up to 81 degrees and I had it turn off my lights to keep the tank cool.  Now that I have LED's I don't have to worry about the heat of the lighting.

What I really like is that my phone app lets me check the status anytime I want and it will send me a text message if there is a problem.

I still have yet to tackle this. I did the easy part and mounted my ethernet wire to the sideboards so you can't tell it's hardwired. Other than that, it's just another piece of wall art.

I picked up a cheap ($20) internet bridge and it works perfectly. I can check and alter my Apex from anywhere.  I use a free dynamic dns service as well.

Ok. So I'm giving this a shot tonight. I'm sick of just talking about it, time to be about it.

First question of the day:

I'm using the web browser to set everything up... and under outlet setup, how do you know what outlet you're setting up? What are the high power devices that you mention above, Wade? I'm going to start in my apex JR (just the 4 plugs) with my pump, my heater, my skimmer (avast cs1 with the recirc pump) so it has two pumps powered off one cable) and my light.

High draw devices apparently aren't a problem.  I wouldn't worry about those. The real risk is very very low draw devices not pulling enough and being problematic. It says <5watts.

As to which outlet, they are labelled by # and the strip has those corresponding numbers as well. Something like 3_x (3_1 for outlet one, etc).

Here is a list of my programs: http://www.reeftronics.net/reefwade/apex-program  (scroll down to below the names... most are fairly simple and I've tried to name them so you can figure out what is what.)