ATO ?

Mattiejay6

Is it better to do an ATO from a reservoir or from an RODI unit?

My utility room where there RO unit will be like 10 feet away maybe a little less. I'm trying to figure out my schematics for under my stand and I can make a 5 gal tank for ATO fit, but thought maybe it would be easier to use the RO unit?

Connecting to a reservoir is considered safer. Unless you build in the proper safeguards, a direct connection to your RO unit can be disastrous if a component fails and freshwater is dumped into your tank without shutting off.

(Sent from my phone)

reservoir.  RODI are meant to run for longer periods of time, and best not to have unlimited supply of water in case something happens.

yup

If I use a dedicated tank from my utility room which is about 10ft of tubing away what pump/ato system do you all recommend? I was think the avast ato system or maybe autotopoff.com system... Not sure about what pump though?

What's the deal with everyone saying it dies fast and a loud grinding noise?

everyone or the folks with issues? folks posting with problems will typically always be higher in number than those without problems. the good thing is that BRS backs their products very well. additionally, it is much quieter than the avast alternative offered with the avast ATO. do you your own research and buy what you feel comfortable with and what makes most sense to you and your desired solution. g'luck!

I recently had an "Oh crap!" moment where my ATO switch got stuck, fortunatly I use the kind of ATO with the second switch which really saved my butt.  Lessons learned:   Clean your float switches regularly, and use an ATO with the dual switches. 

Also, my ATO comes from a 20 gal bucket.  If the 2nd switch hadnt activated I would have had only around 5 gals of water on the ground...  and might have had enough time to clean it up before my wife got home :/ 

I use the Avast ATO with backup float hooked up to my apex lite.  It has been working without cleaning for about a year (time to do soon) and a Tom's aqualifter with no problems so far.  Cant beat the price for the aqualifter.  If one breaks, replace it.  Mine has been running for a year but have a backup in the event if fails.