Bubble Algae, the bane of my existence

YHSublime

Sick of these threads yet?

So I have had bubble algae popping up in my tank for quite some time now. I tested my water last night, and my nitrates are at about 10, and my phosphates were at .25, everything else was perfect. The rock I originally used had a huge bubble algae, and hair algae problem, and I scrubbed it for hours, although I'm sure there was still some left. This may have been a big mistake. Although I'm not terribly concerned about it at the moment, I can see it becoming a problem, so I'd like to take some precautions and preemptive strike.

First thing I did was cut back my feeding. Pellets once a day, frozen twice a week, all leftover removed. I was feeding frozen and pellets every day, and not taking anything out. I have not noticed a difference, except maybe hungrier fish. (two weeks.)

Started growing cheeto. (Month +)

Got an Avast skimmer. This has only been running for 48 hours, and is showing positive results. I'm still dialing it in, so I'm skimming pretty wet, I think once I get it, right where I need it to be, it will make a huge change. (2 Days)

Doubled my water change from 5 gallons to 10 gallons weekly, after doing a 25% about two weeks ago. (1 month)

And of course, just picked it off as I go along. (1 week, on and off)

I have contemplated emerald crabs. (none yet)

Is there anything else I could be doing? Is there anything else I SHOULD be doing? Is it possible I have not just given it enough time?

I don't want to beat a dead horse here, but I can't help but wonder if it's something I am doing, or if it just existed on my original rock and is able to come back. I had some caluerpa that I thought was completely eradicated after leaving it in a forum members tank for a day and letting the tangs loose on it, and I just noticed yesterday a small piece coming back. The caluerpa originally existed on the rock as well.

Mix 50/50 tank water and hydrogen peroxide. I use an old tooth brush and scrub away at the algae. If you don't remove the algae and just apply the peroxide mix, it will go away but will eventually come back, imo. Make sure you remove the algae and scrub the spot with the mixture.

emerald crabs are good as well as manual removal.  My desjardini is the most voracious bubble algae eater I've ever seen.  He destroys any he can find and has taught all the other tangs to eat it as well.

IME bubble algae and caulerpa are relatively easy to get to undetectable levels with the right grazers, but very difficult to eradicate completely.

I've found that foxfaces and emerald crabs are good BA grazers.  I had a Desjardini tang that loved it too, but not sure if it's a common trait of if she was just hungry all the time.

I'd rather use as organic solutions as possible, keeping hydrogen peroxide out of the equation currently.

I should mention my tank is a 57 deep blue, so the fish would have to be a baby, or short term!

Emerald crabs sometimes just pop the larger bubbles, which will actually make the problem of the spreading BA worse. Sometimes they go rogue also, and then you have to find a way to catch them to get the out.

When I had a 45, I got a 2" tang and made sure I got rid of it before it reached 4". It had my tank very well groomed. If you  don't mind catching a fish back out, I say go for a juvie of one of the ones mentioned, trade it out for another small one when it grows if you still need or want one of them around. 

I am having the same problem lately. It did start when my skimmer overflew and that nasty stuff  went into my sump.... I was able to get rid of it a month ago when a did two big water changes and I clean the back wall of my tank really well and turned the lights off for few days + reduce the ammount of food. I will do that again this weekend... It is not easy but you can do it.

+1 to getting a foxface

Cool fish and does great with bubble algae.  I was just at Tropical Lagoon today and they had little baby ones (which I don't see often).

His tank is way too small for a fox face....he has a 57g

Get rid of the nutrients you are adding in (your new feeding regiment is a huge start...im sure your frozen food is the cause of the excessive phosphates) run some gfo and get an emerald crab...that skimmer will really help you too...give it a bit to break in.

You're doing a great job with your tank...you just needed to make the changes you just implemented....nothing good happens overnight...it will start to go away with great husbandry.

Get rid of the nutrients you are adding in (your new feeding regiment is a huge start...im sure your frozen food is the cause of the excessive phosphates) run some gfo and get an emerald crab...that skimmer will really help you too...give it a bit to break in.

You're doing a great job with your tank...you just needed to make the changes you just implemented....nothing good happens overnight...it will start to go away with great husbandry.

+ 1 on some Emerald crabs. GFO will also makea big difference. If you are running out of sump room, a Poly Filter or two will pull phosphates out while you wait for the new skimmer to catch up.

http://www.marinedepot.com/Poly_Filter_Filter_Pad_Mechanical_Filter_Media-Poly_Bio_Marine-PB1111-FIFMMEPM-4-vi.html

1 gallon more than mine  :ph34r:

I do have a one spot foxface though, which don't get quite as big........

1 gallon more than mine  :ph34r:

I do have a one spot foxface though, which don't get quite as big........

7" fish ain't small my friend.

I love how everybody's talking like I'm going to stay with the 57 forever, ya'll oughta' know by now, my name is Isaac, and I have an addiction.

Like I said. It's not crazy outta' control... YET. Jenn is right, nothing fast is going to happen over night. Besides, who's tried to program an Apex when they don't know the first thing about them? I'll answer that, this guy, I'm going to be learning this thing forever, it'll keep me busy instead of fiddling.

Question: I already have 5 tangs all about 4", don't you think one more would be a little much? I guess I could always put them in my 29 while I wait for my new foxface to clear all the bubble algae!