Enkay's 120 gallon Acrylic build (The tank that Adam built)

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still trying to figure out the sump build. My WTB thread didnt get anything so I guess I should just go back to cutting glass and messy silicone :(.

To be honest, I am just trying to be cheap and save money :P.

Time for an update. I had a dirty old 10 gallon sitting in the garage and then a friend was kind enough to let me have a wrongly drilled 15 gallon.

The frames are off. The 10 gallon will be sued as a guinea pig before I work on the 15 to extract the glass. Was going to do it today but then I realized i dont have a double edged blade to get the silicone out. So it will be later this week. Hopefully tomorrow.

I came very close to just go and buy the glass but then I thought whats the fun in that! DIY deserves one chance ;).

post-2633557-0-43116900-1374539170_thumb.jpg

post-2633557-0-06425500-1374539172_thumb.jpg

After some great advice from a super experienced Aquarist, 2 tiny cuts, 2 mosquito bites, a 15 gallon tank from a great friend and some effort, the glass has been successfully removed from the tank with no breaks or chips. 

On to the next step. Cutting it to size. This worries me more than the previous step. 

Anyone near Annandale willing to help ?

Thanks Adam but I just came home with a nice 29 gal sump from xyrophobic in the evening. 

And so the plumbing for the tank starts this weekend. Stay tuned for pictures :).

Some progress ... starting to figure out the plumbing ... trip to lowes/HD tomorrow to get the rest of the supplies and then we get started.

I have an EHEIM pump which states on it 3400 l/h which is 1000 gph. I am assuming this is going to be ok for my tank. Can the experts please chime in?

post-2633557-0-97033800-1375067864_thumb.jpg

post-2633557-0-38378800-1375067891_thumb.jpg

Thank you guys. Hoping to get water in it by the weekend for a trial run and make sure the plumbing is good.

Can anyone chime in on my pump question?

"I have an EHEIM pump which states on it 3400 l/h which is 1000 gph. I am assuming this is going to be ok for my tank?"

Thanks!

Plumbing is done. Couldnt get water in the tank today. Probably tomorrow is going to be the first wet run.

post-2633557-0-09323300-1375673527_thumb.jpg

post-2633557-0-44770200-1375673530_thumb.jpg

Plumbing looks great. Youre going to need to trim the tails of those pipes to just under the water level in that chamber for those beananimal drains, but you prob know that.

Edit: also, are the baffles set a little high to leave too little room for back siphoning from the returns when you shut the pump off?

Edited by AlanM

AlanM,

The baffles are what they are when I bought the sump. Havent thought too much. I am probably going to build a 40 breeder sump with a fuge in the middle chamber. But this will do for now.

Kim,

Water is in ... the bean animal has been tamed and we have totally silent operation. I did have the remove the stand pipe for the primary to get it tuned. Will figure out if I want to leave it that way with a strainer or put the pipe back in later. For now, just gonna let it run for a while. Also gives me a chance to set up the ATO.

Will post a video a little later. My phone ran out of space so I gotta make space to take a short video.

I am seriously excited about this setup.

Next : Operation Skimmer & Sand cleaning lol.

It's amazing how quiet it gets when it's dialed in.  Shocking that it's blowing that much water and you can't hear a drop of it.

Thank you guys. Hoping to get water in it by the weekend for a trial run and make sure the plumbing is good.

Can anyone chime in on my pump question?

"I have an EHEIM pump which states on it 3400 l/h which is 1000 gph. I am assuming this is going to be ok for my tank?"

Thanks!

Are you running the Ehiem 1260 or 1262?  and you should be fine with that if you are.  I have the 1262 on my tank and its perfect.

epleeds, I have the Eheim 1262. I am having to dial down the primary drain although the pump is working full throttle.

Wish I knew how to measure the  actual flow in the operation. Anyone here know how to do that? Is there a flow meter or something which can be used?

Thanks!