Great White mag cleaner: leave in or remove after use

flooddc

I just got me a great white cleaner. This thing is so strong that almost crushed my fingers. Anyway, do you leave it in or remove it after use? beside getting coralline algae on it, does it hurt if I left it in? Any input is appreciated. Thanks

I often leave my Hammerhead in the tank. It will get coraline, but you may also find snails attracted to it, leaving eggs, and even find baby snails hiding in the pad if left there. It would stay cleaner if I removed it, but I'm lazy sometimes.

Thanks, I always left my other mag cleaners in. However, I do noted that some of my old magnets (aquarium system brand, aka Instant ocean) have rust around it. Not sure if it leaks anything into the tank. I guessed I leave this one in to see how it goes. Thanks all.

A snail can attached under there and scratch the glass when you go to use it.  Just be very careful putting it back on all the time.  I scratched my old starfire tank leaving the mag cleaner in there and I couldn’t do anything about it since it was glass. 

I leave mine in but the algae pad I put under it starts to get really gross.  The built up algae on there starts to decay under the magnet if left in for long and then when you replace it it smells like concentrated skimmate with some dead animals thrown in for good measure.  I don't believe this poses any sort of water chemistry issues, though, as a tank that requires a magnet that big will most likely have enough volume to not be affected at all.

A snail can attached under there and scratch the glass when you go to use it.  Just be very careful putting it back on all the time.  I scratched my old starfire tank leaving the mag cleaner in there and I couldn’t do anything about it since it was glass. 

(Insert acrylic plug here) lol j/k

Good advice...I leave it in there but I do take it apart and check it before use each time...it's the snail eggs that scratch for me...those nerites lay some serious eggs

I don't use them anymore because a small sand particle got stuck under the magnet and scratched my glass. Now I just use the flat scraper and don't have to stress about scratching the glass.