Skimmer Decisions

YHSublime

You know, you could get my MRC beckett skimmer and that will take care of ALL of your tanks!  :tongue:   Plus, it's external and you have more options of where to put it.

I've been waiting for you to chime in, Steve, you've been cycling skimmers around for a while now! :laugh:

Like I mentioned above, the footprint is what's appealing to me. I'd love to run a skimmer externally, but at this stage I don't have the space for it! One day, when I have a fish room behind a wall, then I'll need your MRC Beckett. Hopefully it won't still be FS, because that will be a while ;)

You know, you could get my MRC beckett skimmer and that will take care of ALL of your tanks! :tongue: Plus, it's external and you have more options of where to put it.

Lol that thing looks huge!!

What are your complaints with the skimmer you have now? I only ask bc, I recently was not happy with my skimmer (asm gx1 w/sedra3500 pump). It just wasn't performing as well as I've seen other skimmers perform. I bought this skimmer used 2 years ago. I was just going to buy an brand new skimmer and call it a night. However, I didn't want to spend hundreds of dollars on a new skimmer. I thought "hmm, maybe it needs a cleaning." When I took it apart I realized that the impeller was modded by the previous owner. Looked like the mesh was worn down. There wasn't any "meat" left.  I ordered a new stock impeller wheel, and BAM! Works 100x better than it ever did. It pulls poop like a pro. Only spent $30. I just wanted to share my experience with you guys. 

Also, a few months back I found that crud built up inside the nipple where the air intake is. It was 80% clogged, and wasn't bubbling very well. Good luck

I just feel like there are skimmers that are pulling more than mine. There is nothing wrong with it, but I have tried adjusting it constantly, and have not been able to get it to skim as dry as I want. I also am leaning towards the avasts with the recirc, like mentioned earlier in this post, so I don't have to constantly adjust. Like many other things in this hobby, it's just something that I would change if I was starting over again.

Cliff, I had a similar experience with my skimmer. I bought mine used also, but I broke some of the plastic on my impeller. Once I got a new one it worked like a totally different skimmer. Mine didn't look that worn before I broke it, but it is better now that I replaced the piece.

I have an SWC Extreme Mini-S (rated for 200g) that has a PSK-2500 and I can say that it reliably does not come back on after power is reapplied.  However the shorter the power outage, the more likely it is to come back.  The problem I think is the ceramic shaft it about 2mm too short which allows the magnet to move out of the way, rather than turn.  Poking my finger down into the intake to push the impeller back makes it start turning.  I can also hear it rattling like a coffee can full of nuts for the first few seconds as it starts up, after that though, it's quiet.  I would look into replacing it, but aside from that irritation, the skimmer is awesome. 

Go for the rlss.  I have one and it is amazing the amount of skimming it does as well as how quiet it is.  I would not know this thing was running if not for all the skimming it is doing.  I got mine from Quantum Reefs.  Great Skimmer.  I also use one of the rlss pumps as my return pump,  equally quiet and awesome.

Right on Andre.  Go for the RLSS, if you can get your hands on one nowadays... they are totally out of stock everywhere but there is limited supplies arriving in the next week or two.  We have both versions of the skimmer at the shop... rlss 6i and the new reef octopus diablo with the diablo dc pump.  it's not even a close comparison... the 6i is only rated for 150 gallons but is doing so much more than the reef octopus which is rated for 300gallons. 

as nice as the reef octopus skimmers are, my only gripe about them is that when you turn off the pump or power goes out, it occasionally just spits out water and overflows all the skimmate into your tank so you have re-dial it... so you just have to watch out for that