tang police question or large fish keeper question

Huly

Pez and I are starting to consider an upgrade. We are looking at a few options the smallest being the 93 gallon marine cube. When looking at fish aquarium size stats most go by standard long thin aquarium how would this be with a cube? I figure a cube being deeper would be better and resemble a more natural environment. Am I wrong? We have a juvi hippo tang knowing we were going to upgrade. How would that affect her or any other large fish?

Depends on the fish...if your fish, like your dori, has been in your tank this whole time and is used to swimming not in a straight line/laps...then I think it would be okay...

Some tangs and especially my triggers liked the length to build up speed,lol

Personally, I think that you need to look at the longest length the fish can go for bigger fish.  

For example, 4 ft x 4 ft = 5.6 ft max length (assuming reef doesn't go to the top of the tank while a 6 x 2 tank would be 6.3 ft, so while the second tank is less total gallons, it's probably better for big fish that like to swim like tangs and angels.  If you're keeping smaller fish that stick to the rocks, it's all about the amount of reef square footage.  

just my 2 cents

Yeah our Dori flies all over our tank. We set it up for swim through swim behinds and all around. She seems happy but we want her to be happy as she grows too.

We would do similar in a new tank but I am not sure how tank dimension requirements vary for cube vs long.

Don't forget about considering weight of a larger tank too since it probably isn't going in a basement. A longer tank goes over more floor joists giving less risk of floor sag. But that is opening up a whole new can of worms :( my hippo tang lives in 125g 6' seems as happy as a captive fish can be.

You could get away with several juvi tangs in a cube that size for around 2-3 years. Those tiny hippos grow pretty slow. If you got a 1" one it may be 4" in 2 years. If you want to keep a tang long term and have it reach as close to its max size as possible you will need min a 6' tank.

The ones I would get if I were you would be purple, yellow, hippo, chevron, kole eye, etc...

Stay away from the naso family as they can reach massive sizes in less than a year.

Lol

You see why I ask though? In our house we need wider to hit more joist instead if long. That is one reason we are looking at a cube.

not tryin to highjack but while the tang police are watching this thead, do you think a 94"Lx20"Wx12"H tank is large enough for an orange shoulder tang even though its only approx. 100gals?  I thought it would be ok because maybe the 8 foot length would be enough swim room...

I think longer is better. I have a 7 inch hippo tang in my 250. 5.5 ft long and I think I will start looking for a new home in the next year. 

A lot alos depends on your rock scape. Mine has lots of swim throughs and swim behinds so I think that lets me keep the larger fish a bit longer.  It allows for a lot of random swimming around the tank. 

Swimming a pattern over and over again is a sure sign of a problem.