Emerald Crab.. dun dun duuuun

YHSublime

So I'm thinking about adding an emerald crab into my tank.

*Gasp!*

My rock came with some bubble, hair, and caluerpa algae all over it. I scrubbed and scrubbed when I started, but a few pieces have been showing it again. My turbo's controlled my hair algae, Laura's tangs controlled my caluerpa (which is in check with my tang now) and all that's left is the bubble. It's not terrible, or even unsightly atm, but I know I could keep an emerald fat and happy temporarily until it cleans up a little bit for me. 

Here is my stocklist at the moment:

10 + - Peppermint Shrimp

1 Pistol Shrimp

I skunk shrimp

2 sexy shrimp

Snails snails snails. A lot, probably 20 snails of a mixed variety. 

1 Watchman Goby

1Algae Blenny

4 Blue/Green Chromis

2 Clowns (percs)

1 Orange Striped Bristletooth Tang

1 B&W Chromis (in the sump)

4 Red Legged Hermits (In the sump)

I have a mixed variety of LPS and SPS, and 4 BTA's.

If I keep this thing fed (which there should be enough food to do....) should I worry about anything else in there?

Emeralds are fine- VERY rarely people have issues with them, but often times they're wrongly blamed.

If you feed the emerald, it's less likely to actually eat the bubble algae. Also, if you have big bubbles, they dont always eat those. Good job taking care of it now before it gets bad though

I thought emailed crabs were good for the tank?

If they go hungry they are opportunistic feeders. They might be partial to have a go at corals and fish, which is probably why folks stray away from them. They are also partial to bubble algae from what I hear, which is why I'm interested!

I'm wondering if there is some members out there who have had experience with them, I think i'll probably be alright, but want to hear it if it's a terrible choice. 

The only problem I've had with my emeralds,and I think mine are special, is that they cut the bubbles off of my rbta's .... I know...weird...

Other than that...they have been very good about eating any bubble algae I've gotten...and love pellets...

I've never had problems with emerald or (emailed) crabs, other than the fact that they tend to die on me pretty quickly.

LoL. I've had a pretty good run with my inverts, why do you think that is? (the death part)

Emeralds are fine- VERY rarely people have issues with them, but often times they're wrongly blamed.

If you feed the emerald, it's less likely to actually eat the bubble algae. Also, if you have big bubbles, they dont always eat those. Good job taking care of it now before it gets bad though

Yeah, the only fish I might be worried about is my Mandarin, not the fastest on the draw. However, I'd like to keep it from eating my acros if that's doable. 

if you catch him doing something pull him out and give him away....

IME they start to like the food you feed much more than what we hope they will eat, but never had a coral issue with them...for me it just became another mouth to feed

The only problem I've had with my emeralds,and I think mine are special, is that they cut the bubbles off of my rbta's .... I know...weird...

Other than that...they have been very good about eating any bubble algae I've gotten...and love pellets...

Bad crabs. I'm partial to my RBTAs, I would be breaking out the Old Bay if that happened. 

if you catch him doing something pull him out and give him away....

IME they start to like the food you feed much more than what we hope they will eat, but never had a coral issue with them...for me it just became another mouth to feed

Yeah, that's what worries me as well, I'll throw one in, and it'll just chill out on all the good stuff and skip it's greens. 

oh they lull you in....you look in and they quickly do what you are hoping and praying they do....and then once they think they have you convinced they are the saviors of your tank THEN they chillax and retire to easy street and waiting for the magic rain in the tank at feed time

Bad crabs. I'm partial to my RBTAs, I would be breaking out the Old Bay if that happened. 

Oh...they have not really hurt the rbta's.....just every now and then I see one snipping off a bubble,lol and then it floats around the tank and stinks a few things,lol...it's just weird...

I've had them in all my tanks and have never had an issue... To control bubble algae I would go with one for every 20-30 gallons depending on how much rock you have. Not sure how big your tank is...

I think your acros will be fine, as will your fish. Not to give the idea that I'm worried about it, but I've heard more about them going after polyps and similar corals than anything else...

I've had them in all my tanks and have never had an issue... To control bubble algae I would go with one for every 20-30 gallons depending on how much rock you have. Not sure how big your tank is...

I think your acros will be fine, as will your fish. Not to give the idea that I'm worried about it, but I've heard more about them going after polyps and similar corals than anything else...

57 Deep Blue. Rock... enough. A nice Zoa garden front and center.

Are emeralds similar to porcelain filter feeders? If so I have just the one for you. Look at the last page of my dedicated tank thread and you will see him trying to attack my hippo tang. Trying to catch him and when we do he will be dinner for MBVette's tusk!

Are emeralds similar to porcelain filter feeders? If so I have just the one for you. Look at the last page of my dedicated tank thread and you will see him trying to attack my hippo tang. Trying to catch him and when we do he will be dinner for MBVette's tusk!

I didn't think porcelain crabs were an issue? I'll put it in my sump!

I have three emerald crabs in my tank and other than walking through some of my zoas from time to time, are a little showdown with a very large pistol shrimp once, none of them have been an issue.  The only reason I think he was messing with the pistol is that he had lodged himself between a rock and the tank glass and I think he felt vulnerable.

I had 2 Emerald crabs originally that behaved fine, no issues, and both died off after about 2 months.

About a month ago I bought 4 more, 2 for each tank I have.

In both tanks they started eating coral!!!! (waiving hand and hammers)  Now moved into a QT Tank...(3 of 4)

3 coral eating emerald crabs for sale $7 for all 3!!!!!

The red /brown ones are the best ones for a reef

and get them small unless you have large BUBBLE ALGEA

then you need a big one.

Big ones are super strong and like to overturn frags and small

rocks but they can eat very large bubble algea.

I had 2 Emerald crabs originally that behaved fine, no issues, and both died off after about 2 months.

About a month ago I bought 4 more, 2 for each tank I have.

In both tanks they started eating coral!!!! (waiving hand and hammers)  Now moved into a QT Tank...(3 of 4)

3 coral eating emerald crabs for sale $7 for all 3!!!!!

are you sure they werent stealing food out of the hammer? mine does that sometimes...and they just like to pinch xenia and kenya trees off sometimes...i guess they like to see stuff floating around the tank,lol (like chopping off the tips of my rbta).

I didn't think porcelain crabs were an issue? I'll put it in my sump!

Neither did we LOL  We think he might be the reason our blue spot is missing.  It went to the back of the tank then disappeared.  Then he did this:

DorrieVSCrab_zps4b1576bf.jpg

That was the proof we needed as soon as we catch him he is GONE!

I don't mean to lol at ya, but once you work out what is happening in that picture, it's pretty funny.