Another LFS Closing - Showcase Aquarium

treesprite

Copy of e-mail:

To all our valued customers and friends:

Our landlord has decided not to negotiate a new lease with us. After 45 years at the same location, we will close our doors for the last time on June 30, 2013.

Showcase Aquarium -- also called "Tropical Fish" because of our signature big blue awning -- has always been a family owned and operated business. We've done business with families -- you, your parents and grandparents, your children and even your grandchildren -- for 45 years We've watched your families grow and change, as you have watched ours, and have had the pleasure of helping you enjoy the tropical fish hobby over these many years. Thanks to all of you for making our success possible. We will miss you!

Again, we will be closing on June 30. The first three weeks of June we will be selling our remaining inventory and store fixtures. Please stop by for some great bargains, or just to say good-bye.

As usual, if you have any questions please call us on 301 942-6464.

Again, thanks to all our loyal customers.

Joe, Kathy, Ricardo, Zac, Ken

I went over there, paid for a parking meter. The light that says "open" was on, but the doors were locked. Disappointing because I won't have another chance to go there any time soon enough to take advantage of the sales.

This shop is where the owner of the now-closed Tropical Fish World, Jim, worked for I think 13 years before starting his own shop. Even though his shop is closed, he still does tank set ups and maintenance. Closing also prompted by a landlord, due to raising rent too high. So high that the store space has remained empty.  

It was closed for the day Saturday. Today I picked up a Maxijet 1200 for $15, and a blue reef chromis.

I spoke with the owner a while. He explained that the parking lot is to become the location of a highrise building, so there will be nowhere to park to shop in any of the little shops in Wheaton Triangle. Can't keep customers when they have to walk a few blocks to get back and forth from the car. He said some guy who is building a shopping center offered to put up something like 200K to get him started up there, but it's all the way in Waldorf so it isn't going to happen. The owner's daughter, Cathy, will be working at Tropical Lagoon. He said he will be fishing.

Just left..... They have nothing that big however they are selling A LOT of used tanks from 10g-45g. Tanks are running around a dollar per gallon and come with all equipment that's currently on the tank. All livestock and dry goods are 25% off. Doesn't really make it any cheaper than online but I bought a few things to help them out.

Livestock wise they were pretty spent. They had some yellow watchman, yellow clown gobies, green clown gobies, and everything else was pretty much gone except freshwater. Only decent equipment were some koralias and maxijets. They also had this bad boy for $300......

Posted Image