Sam (and his mom's) 57G Rimless

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As always, looking good. What happened to the birdsnest that was on the left?

Thanks all! Yes, elegance on the right. Doesnt really fit in my tank anymore but I would hate to sell it. Not sure what to do. The green reef eacape birdsnest on the left was sold because I already had the large one on the right. The ponape birdsnest is now much bigger and on the right where the anemone was. Most of it is behind the rock though

• 1 month later...

So right before I came back down here to Tech I "trimmed" the right side of the tank.

4a988925c4075ec413c321354cdcbacf.jpg

Actually I ripped out all the coral because I hated how it grew and that it was all the same color. Stuck in a bunch of frags of corals I like and here's how it looks now.

294a1cfecc79eed55f0747a5621b0b9b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still love the scape...we're own worst critics, but it will be neat to see what you grow in the new hole.

Btw, how did you choose to mount the efflo and other pieces on the overflow/back?

It's just the efflo on the overflow. It was grown on a magnetic frag plug by the wamas member I bought it from, so I used an old mag float to hold it to the overflow while I decided where I wanted it to go. I decided I liked it a lot there so just left it and it's since encrusted onto the back!

Also just got a new addition through qt from Reef eScape! I've been trying to get one of these in the tank for years and it's our last major fish addition!

We're very worried about the white tail beating up on it, so it's going to stay in the box for about a week so they can get to know each other. 8638538ac0378c3e0975d91f61d9e379.jpg

• 10 months later...

Working on building a new stand for this tank. Just finished the frame tonight. I've wanted to replace the stock Deep Blue stand pretty much since we got it. It's awful. This should be great, going for tall and oversized with a granite top. Dimensions should be around 51x20x38.

I plan on skinning it in 1/2 inch birch plywood, then adding trim. Does anyone have a recommendation on where I can buy custom size cabinet doors? Also would like to water proof the bottom of the stand, any suggestions on how to do that? What type of paint is best? Going for black.

3047be15bdf2f4e89674a3b8f0f565f0.jpg

If you truly want to waterproof the bottom go with a marine epoxy. Its expensive. For my build I used an oil based paint that will hold water until my apex can alerty me to an issue. Personally I would not use latex based paint.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the suggestions. Going with a combination of those as well as using shower liner for the bottom. Will paint with oil based paint, then line with the shower liner, then silicone any cracks.

Covered the stand today and cut holes. Will add trim tomorrow.

155a523450d00ed7ea66b5a52577fc82.jpg

bc890215b94e75fec3ff1eefa4942bc3.jpg

Still looking for a suggestion for a cabinet doors maker, anyone? Any critiques on the stand so far?