A Shrimp Tale

paul b

Once upon a time (OK last year) I had this shrimp and Gobi

IMG_24043.jpg

He looked lonely so the King of this section of reef (Me) went out and got him a little companion. In time, the little guy grew to where he could be friends, or maybe more than friends with the older guy. In the beginning the King was worried because the little gobi was tiny and he was afraid he would be eaten.

The two gobies moved into the tunnel dug by their friend the pistal shrimp. and it looked like they would be happy and safe forever.

2013-03-26093219_zpsdd5efeed.jpg

Then this big, mean Watchman gobi came by and evicted these two smaller gobies, moved into their home, enslaved their shrimp and they had no place to live.

2013-05-03190334_zpscec08c13.jpg

So the King (me again) searched far and wide and found a new shrimp that had no gobi friends and he bought him.

He put the shrimp in the six foot long tank not thinking these 3 creatures would ever meet up, but to his surprise, with in 10 minutes, the gobies found that the shrimp was living in a tube and they took up a position outside the entrance. The shrimp inched out and noticed the gobies guarding his cave and he immediately started digging a tunnel right beneath their watchful eyes.

Now the tunnel is about an inch deep and the gobies are laying across it, protecting it and the shrimp from harm. (you can just about make out the shrimp antenna sticking out of the hole, touching the gobi) The King of this reef (yes me) believes that by tomorrow, the gobies and the new shrimp will again be safe and comfortable in their new home. And the old watchman could go and sit on a tack and rotate.

The End.

2013-05-15142824_zps195bbfb4.jpg

Love it Paul....I always wondered if you just introduce the pistol after the gobies had lost one, if they would take to one another...I guess so...or atleast it's a good chance!

Oh No. Now the other gobi stole the shrimp from right under the 2 gobi's noses.

So now I ordered "another" shrimp.

I may have to get a separate shrimp for every fish in the tank.

2013-05-15165501_zpseecbf651.jpg

2013-05-15165607_zps0ffb6aac.jpg

Lots more shrimp needed...can you buy some brass balls for your goby pair? I think they need those too, so other gobies stop stealing their....shrimps....

As soon as I see a post from Paul I get all excited. I pour a drink and sit down to read a story.

Haha. Wamas forums need a Like button.

YES!

As soon as I see a post from Paul I get all excited. I pour a drink and sit down to read a story.

Me too!

i want him to start a blog that he writes to when the moment strikes....just random not just fish paul thoughts ....just whatever strikes him at the moment....

"Random Thoughts By Paul B....."

I'll second that! that's the first thing I look for when I get on here is for something by Paul b

I asked once if there was some way I could stalk him on these forumsand get a notification when he posts, but he said he was only interested in me stalking him if I was a supermodel or something like that.

Last night I was cowering in bed under the covers as I heard this huge fight coming from the tank. There was water splashing, bottles breaking, chains swinging and curses flying. I was afraid to look, as I knew there was bloodshed.

But this morning as I peered in with my little critter light, I didn't see much blood but I did notice my striped gobi, the cute one, laying in his tunnel with the shrimp, I could tell he was knocked out as he was sweating profusely. The bully was no where to be found and may have left town. I may have more information when the lights come on. If they still work.

This is one of the bullys when he is not picking on someone smaller than he is. I am not sure if this is the guy that evicted them the second time as there are some in there that I don't even know where they came from and just crashed my tank.

IMG_1585.jpg

No this is him. That first guy is a crasher.

IMG_1329.jpg

(edited)
i want him to start a blog that he writes to when the moment strikes....just random not just fish paul thoughts ....just whatever strikes him at the moment....
Really!. I didn't even think anyone ever read any of this stuff. Or certainly cared. I have a little gas now but I don't think that is too interesting so I won't go there . I actually have a thread on RC that started out as how me and I guess other people did this stuff. (fish stuff, not about gas or anything like that) when the hobby started in the late 60s early 70s. It started like that but like most of my threads, for some reason, they turn into something completely unrelated to whatever point I was trying to make. I don't know why that happens .But I am heading off to my boat now as it just went in the water and I have to stock it and clean it, maybe do a little collecting as I have not put mud in my tank since last fall .I did speak at your club a couple of years ago, were any of you there? :cool: Edited by paul b

If you were there, then you heard my spiel. I will have to come up with another topic to speak about. Maybe Vistoria Secret Supermodels. Not that I read that catalog. OK I looked at it once but it was only for research.

• 1 month later...

OK, now I think the two shrimp are breeding, what is it with my tank?  I think I fed them to many oysters.  The shrimp were always on separate sides of the 6' tank, but I guess they found each other and they take turns digging this hole larger.  Pretty soon I am going to hear the pitter patter of little feet, or fins, antenna, whatever thay have that makes noise.

2013-06-18184803_zps805dae3a.jpg

Now it's like a free for all.  The 2 shrimp made tunnels all over the place with many entrances and there are different gobies at each entrance.  A Speak Easy comes to mind..  I am not sure if the gobies can go in one entrance and come out some place else but the shrimp can, I am also not sure what the shrimp are doing in there but sometimes I see the larger one smoking a cigarette.

They are a little annoying as they pile up gravel and make depressions all the way down to my UG filter.  The corals and rock sometimes fall from their excavations.  Much of my rock is home made skinny stuff and they all have a plexiglass base which is supposed to be under the gravel, but they are sticking out all over the place and I can't keep ahead of the digging activities no matter how much I yell at them.  They just put up a claw like to say, "I can't hear you" But I know they can.

Look at the mountain on the left of my tank.  That is from one shrimp.

6_zps8d10c4c9.jpg

• 3 weeks later...