jimlin's 75 gallon

initial thoughts of the santa monica hog. it did not work that well. i was expecting the unit to come with a piece of airstone, but instead it is made of air line which is cut up. also noticed most of the air does not go over the screen, but instead go up towards the sides. i think i will build my own for this setup. still unsure which return pump to use.

post-2633282-0-23515500-1369623537_thumb.jpg

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

added 3 fish today

2 clown fish

1 hippo tang

someone bought the last lemon peel angel today which is why i got the blue hippo tang instead.

all fish are about an inch long.

hippo tang already found a home in between rocks eating some of the dead algae on the rocks.

bought a veggie clip and seaweed just in case the tang dont like the prime flake food.

next on my list: 8 green chromis, flame wrasse. still have to do more research on the wrasse, but the fish looks really cool.

20130531_001028-1_zpse8df178f.jpg

today i added something in my tank i never had before. i added a couple of pieces of rubble with aiptasia on them into my sump. hopefully the pieces are full of pods. since aiptasias are good water filters, i am going to try them out. the bacteria from these rubbles will also add some diversity to my system. next up is to do a 25 gallon water change and add a bunch of polyps or zoa to the tank which will possibly be food to my future lemonpeel angel.

20130531_002246-1_zpse0cab150.jpg

check out the top layer of my biopellet reactor. the stuff that the skimmer is pulling from the water makes me want to puke.

That is very interesting about the aptaisia. Can they propagate though the water column?

Yes, if they are in the sump, they will be in the display.

Interesting. I have them in my sump, display is free, at least as far as I can see. Tank looks good btw!

Fascinating. (Typed with Spock-like tone.)  I would love to hear more discussion about this Aiptasia filter approach (or am I being punk'd)?  :huh:

guess i was hit with the good idea fairy and added the rubbles found at the local waters. as i was looking at the stuff crawling around in the sump, i seen some star fish, several types of tube worms which is pretty cool. then i seen a baby crab. this made me wonder if it is the same type i seen crawling around in the waters which were around 3 inches. aiptasia were crawling around everywhere and i dont think i will be able to contain them in the sump which is a bummer because i think they look really cool. as i continued to look, i got squirted by something living on the rubble. hmmm. cant have anything in the sump squirt water out where there are electrical components. i ended up removing the rubbles and scraped off whatever aiptasia i found moving around in the sump.

so i installed the santa monica algae scrubber. as you can see, the screen is just too small and this setup would use up 3 electrical outlets total if i was to set it up properly. i decided to go with a single light and build myself a bigger screen.

20130601_143205-1_zps617658c7.jpg

i started out by cutting 2 screens. front screen is shorter while the back screen is taller which will allow me to clip to the top of the tank. i zip tied both screens to a airstone and then siliconed the botton and 2 sides so that all the bubbles would go out from the screen locations. i then siliconed a piece of plastic sheet to the back of the longer screen which will prevent light from hitting the skimmer which will be sitting behind the screens. i used the diamond tipped hole saw i got from glass holes.com to ruff up the screen surface. will put it in the system in 2 days after the silicone is dried.

20130601_143205-1_zps617658c7.jpg

I remember those little Hawaii-tidepool hydroids from when we lived there; I'm not convinced they are aiptasia, although they could be. I know we brought some in on rocks back in the day, and they never really spread significantly.They were tough as nails, though.   

I remember those little Hawaii-tidepool hydroids from when we lived there; I'm not convinced they are aiptasia, although they could be. I know we brought some in on rocks back in the day, and they never really spread significantly.They were tough as nails, though.

they looked like aiptasias to me. some were an inch long once they settled down and were moving everywhere. they were brown when i got them, but some turned almost clear after i put them in my sump. they also turned into jello when i tried to remove them. they also released clear mucus substance when i was handling them with a tweezer.

it is free saltwater. it is pretty clean. no odd odor at all and very clear. it is saltwater pumped from the ocean. it is far enough away from the shores that it done pick up any dirt that typically go to the shore lines and beaches. waikiki aquarium also gives out free saltwater and have a similar way of pumping water that are sourced deeper in the ocean so that it pumps cleaner water for aquarium use.

That's pretty awesome!

Guess the days of buying salt for you are short while your there...one of the few perks of living on that island,lol

Percs of being a local, huh? Very VERY cool.  :cool:

gallery_2633282_1083_36069.jpg

new algae scrubber just put online. hopefully this will allow me to grow more algae. will let u guys know how it performs.

gallery_2633282_1083_136669.jpg

santa monica after one weeks of use. not bad, just too small.

I'm jealous of your little Hippo Tang. They are IMO, one of the most beautiful SW fish. What are your plans for when it gets huge? A bigger tank, or just a trade off? 

(edited)

I'm jealous of your little Hippo Tang. They are IMO, one of the most beautiful SW fish. What are your plans for when it gets huge? A bigger tank, or just a trade off?

research said 75 gallon would be ok for it. i probably wont be here long enough to see it get to full size, but if i do find it to be too big for my tank i will probably just give it away. 75 is going to be the biggest i am going to go until i retire. Edited by jimlin

med_gallery_2633282_1083_408926.jpg

getting 28 gallons of saltwater for a water change.

Definitely better than going down to Hickam Harbor like I used to!