• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Very nice fish!

thanks, i thought it would be a lot more aggressive than it really is. right now the yellow tang controls the tank.

I had a problem too, nice mod. i ended up getting this when they had a 15% off + free shipping ended up being 83 bucks. http://www.petstore.com/hydra-aquatics-biopellet-reactor

and works great!

i ended up just putting the whole reactor into my sump due to leaking from the hoses. due to my lack to time to add more media, algae has started growing in the tank. right now i just started adding small amounts of vodka twice a day. about a table spoon full each time.

Living the dream ! Nice boss!

i get to see the craziest things in the waters these days. i actually seen an octopus, something i thought i would never see since i cant swim and dont go in the water. the few zoas i seen looks amazing. looks way prettier than what i have in my tank.

gallery_2633282_1083_5043.jpg

full tank shot.

most of the corals i bought are dead due to neglect. aiptasia pretty much taken over the tank. this week i started injecting pickling lime on the foot of the aiptasia hoping the surrounding corals will recover. algae everywhere. mp10s are not powerful enough to keep the bare bottom tank detritus free. i moved the 2 mp10s to the lower part of my tank and the bottom is still full of dertitus with a bunch of aiptasia. i think i will keep the aiptasia on the bottom, but will kill all the ones that goes on the rocks.

kessils kinda suck. i think i need more than 2 on my tank, but will probably invest in t5s when i move.

working on setting up a second tank. built the stand which took me a lot longer than expected.

med_gallery_2633282_1083_111179.jpg

the materials

med_gallery_2633282_1083_79747.jpg

the frame built, test fit.

med_gallery_2633282_1083_357712.jpg

first coat of stain.

med_gallery_2633282_1083_62137.jpg

finished.

waiting for adjustable discs to come in. the floor here is not level and they are not going to fix it. instead of adding shims, i decided to add 4 adjustable discs which are usually used to level cabinets.

• 3 weeks later...

so I took the biopellets offline. I just cant afford to run a separate pump for the biopellets due to the high electric bill. I started to dose vodka instead. I also did not have the time to do weekly water changes so now its like 40% water change every 2-3 months. Because of the water change schedules, there is no way for me to keep the bare bottom clean at all times so I added sand to the tank. Now it looks a lot nicer than the coralline and aiptasia covered bottom glass. I stopped feeding frozen food and only feed flakes and pellets with a small sheet of seaweed every other day. 

gallery_2633282_1083_108988.jpg

One of the new members of the tank. They called it a black tang. When I first got it, it was black with a white tail. Now that it has been in my tank for a couple of weeks, it looks more grey than black and the tail is no longer white.

gallery_2633282_1083_174751.jpg

here it is swimming around the tank.

gallery_2633282_1083_269066.jpg

Had two of these in my tank. One of them is nowhere to be seen. I thought it jumped out, but I can not find the dead body. These did not get along with the yellow tang.

gallery_2633282_1083_365161.jpg

The flame wrasse always hides in the rocks. The only time it comes out is when I feed the tank. It remains to be one of my favorite fish in the tank. Still deciding if I should purchase another.

gallery_2633282_1083_92101.jpg

I added two of these crazy looking shrimps. They did not eat the baby shrimps and did not fight with the cleaner shrimps. They don't attack the uneaten food like the cleaner shrimps so I am not sure what they are eating. They enjoy the new sand.

gallery_2633282_1083_500688.jpg

The pair of cleaner shrimps are doing great. They seldom jump on the tangs and clean them.

gallery_2633282_1083_188558.jpg

The local shrooms which was given to me by a local are doing great. I don't see them spreading themselves around the tank any time soon. They have not moved for the past 5 months.

gallery_2633282_1083_45722.jpg

Zoas. no noticeable new growth. I don't think they like my lights very much.

The shrimp you showed above is a coral banded. I got one that after researching, has killed the skunks. I like my skunks, a lot. I put mine in the sump, and he molted the other day. Eating something. If I added it back to the tank, my Hoevens would probably have a go at it.

gallery_2633282_1083_123690.jpg

Not sure what is up with my zoas but they are not open anymore. I noticed a bunch of white stuff on the bottom of the glass top. I am probably going to switch to t-5s in the next couple of months to see if that will help. I may also switch out the glass tops for clear screen material.

gallery_2633282_1083_113792.jpg

Here is another zoa in my tank. Due to my lack of available time for water changes, I am seriously thinking about just making this tank into a fish only tank.

• 4 weeks later...

the shrimp is dumping her eggs at least once a week now.

So, several days after a 30 gallon water change i discovered some of my fish have velvet and black ick. What. I didnt add anything to the tank for a while now and the fish still got sick. Guess I have to set up a QT tank. not sure how all those tangs are going to do in a 20 gallon tank. First death to the deadly velvet, my favorite fish the flame angel. It is killing the fish so fast that I dont think I can wait until the weekend to setup the QT. Think I will just get the water from the beach since I will be medicating it.

Marine Velvet strikes quick, act quick. Sorry to hear.

It struck faster thant I anticipated. I setup the copper treatment tank, but it was too late for a few (dead: copperband, flame angel, flame wrasse) and the hippo tang is in really bad shape and more than likely will not survive. Almost all fish are in the treatment tank, but there are some I could not catch. Those darn hitch hiker gobies. I believe I have 3 in there somewhere. Not sure if I should just yank out all the rocks and let them dry out aong with the gobies or if I should just let it be for 3 months. Not sure if velvet attack gobies either.

Currently treating with coppersafe since I could not find a store that sells cupermine.

Going to hunt down a store that carries copper test kits tomorrow so I can maintain the copper levels.

Sorry about your fish. Good luck with qt.

Dang -- sorry to hear about this.

Velvet can't attach to any fish, gobies included...

Sorry to hear this...

I'd just focus on corals for the next 12 weeks...

Thanks guys.

Think the hippo tang is doing a lot better.

So I am using Coppersafe and used the amount indicated on the directions for the past several days, but noticed the white dots were still all over the tang and although the tang started eating, tang was still not acting like itself. White dots were still there and the first 2 days it looked like the tang was recovering, but last night it looked like the tang was going to die because I found it against the wall on the drain of the AIO tank which may mean it did not have the strength to swim away. I tested the water to see what the level of copper was and it was less than 1 PPM. I pretty much doubled the dose last night and today the tang is doing much better. The left eye which was all white had started to clear up. The white dusts which were all over its body is slowly going away. Now I am just waiting for the black dots to go away. One of the 3 fish I first purchased for this tank, I really hope it makes it through.

The Display tank, looks like there was an explosion of creatures in there now that majority of the fishes are gone. 2 different species of shrimps are dumping eggs weekly. Pods which I never noticed have taken over the refugium and have grown to the size of a small hermit crab. Snails and starfish have also multiplied tremendously for some reason after my last water change. Not sure what triggered this, but I have stopped dosing vodka and turned off the chiller. This outbreak has really got me to reconsider using natural sea water. One just never know what is really in the water these days.

gallery_2633282_1083_53671.jpg

gallery_2633282_1083_186087.jpg

Thanks. I have been feeding the fishes less than usual, but adding vitamin to their diet. The hippo tang's head is really coloring up now, but the body is still a blue green color and the dusty looking white spots are pretty much gone. Not sure if I should feed the tangs nori while they are in the hospital tank. Not sure if I should add some live rocks in there so that I dont have to change the water as often. So far the hospital tank remained relatively clean with the filter floss in one of the IN-TANK media baskets. I think this tank will be used as an permanent QT/hospital tank. Only thing I am worried about that tank is that there is no way for me to cool the tank during summer and my house does not have AC.

Gobie is still alive and very active in the main tank. I still can not catch that darn fish since it can hide in any of the holes on the live rocks. If I was to wait for it to die in the display, I may be waiting for a long time. I also took some algae growing in the fuge and put it in the display to populate the display with pods. Most of the algae was shredded by the MP-10s, but hopefully the pods survived. Shrimps are continuing to molt in the tank, but what are they eating? I only feed that tank once a week and only put in about 4-5 flakes of food.

Most of my zoas have died for some reason. I checked to see if there were any insects eating the zoas (nudi or spider), but did not see any. All other corals are doing ok. I am not sure if it is the lights, but am looking at upgrading the lights to either a IT2080 or Photon 48. Right now I am leaning towards the Photon 48 and planned to add a clear screen on top of the tank.  

Do not add rock to the qt!  You want your QT to remain as clean as possible. plus you will never be able to use that rock again.  Just keep up with water changes. 

I have mixed thoughts about adding rock into your QT. I would agree that at the end of the day, it's more trouble than it's worth. I found that after I fed, the "waste" would accumulate down into, around, and under the rock. It's amazing how much in just a qt tank gets trapped, I can't imagine what gets stuck in and around our DT's! If you can put some rubble rock into your HOB, that would be the best option, and still keep up on your water changes... (I mean, come on Jim, you're right on the beach!)

As for the goby that's still left in your DT, I hate to say it, but leaving it in there makes QT'ing redundant. You want to try and catch it, and get it in with everything else, and *grimace* restart your timer. Just my 2 cents, so take it FWIW.

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't add the rocks.

Fish is doing bad again. The dusty look is back again, but the hippo is still swimming around and eating. Not sure what to do.

gallery_2633282_1083_167854.jpggallery_2633282_1083_185652.jpggallery_2633282_1083_285583.jpg

I don't know much about coppersafe, but I have had all my success with Cupramine. I presume you are following the instructions to a T?

i followed the instruction, tested copper and it was really low so i gradually added more until it reached 2.0

someone else here in hawaii using natural seawater recently got velvet. i guess i will have tomake my own water from now on.

the black stripes on my hippo tang turned yellow for some reason. normal?