25G Cube Build

Shoelace

Hello WAMAS,

It was really great to see such an active club at the Spring Event. I'm getting back into the hobby after quite some time off. I used to be an active CMAS member when I had a 180 reef, but life and kids sort of got in the way. The 180 is now an extremely low maintenance Mbuna Cichlid tank, but the corals are calling me back.

I initially started a 7.5G nano, but after seeing that Tony Vargas had a 25G Nano in his "Godfather Spouse Factor" dining room, I decided that 25G was the way to go for me.

I'd like to get some advice while I'm documenting my build. Here's what I have on my list so far:

Mr. Aqua 25G Low-Iron Cube

Marineland Simple Modern Black Stand

Glass-Holes Super Nano con Dientes Overflow Box

Not sure of the return size yet (1/2 or 3/4)

Deep Blue 5G Sump (I can't fit a 10G in that stand)

Deep Blue 2.5G topoff reservoir

AI Nano LED

Vortech MP10

Apex Controller

Apex VDM

Tunze Nano Osmolator Nano

Aquarium Systems Maxi-Jet Return 1100 (294GPH max) or 1800 (274)

AquaEuroUSA Protein Skimmer 2

Cobalt NeoTherm 50W

BRS Dosing Pumps x 2 for B-Iolnic

BRS ReefSaver Rock

Barebottom

Welcome back, if the 180 is the one I'm thinking it is, awesome tank.

Edited by surf&turf

No tank yet. UPS got delayed by the thunder storms on Friday :cry: The first stuff that came in was from BRS - 20 lbs of reefsaver rock. I've started to mock up my aquascape. Any thoughts before I break out the epoxy? :)

P4210631_zpsaa25ccc6.jpg

P4210632_zpsb85a4ea8.jpg

P4210642_zps4c0f8879.jpg

P4210640_zps95322363.jpg

I got the same tank sitting at home. It's calling me, but as its going to be a sps tank I am patiently waiting for all my ducks to line up.

I will be following.

Hmm. So I already ordered a Glass-Holes nano overflow kit, but the idea of a silent overflow still intrigues me. I am going to do some research into doing a Herbie that looks like these (not my pix):

IMAG0128.jpg

photo21.jpg

I think this might just do the trick. It might be a very tight fit, but space is at a premium.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item2ec6c9d2d6

Where do you plan to place the mp10? Can be hard to get good flow patterns in small tanks with a lot of rock. Also, think about how much flow you really need in your sump given its only 5g

Edited by matt

Where do you plan to place the mp10? Can be hard to get good flow patterns in small tanks with a lot of rock. Also, think about how much flow you really need in your sump given its only 5g

Those are great points, Matt. Thanks. The MP10 is probably going to go on the upper right back of the tank as you're facing it. It will be above the shorter rock pillars on the right which only go halfway up the height of the tank. I think I'm going to upgrade to a 7.5G 12" cube sump but the flow is still going to be with the MJ Utility pump which can't push more than 200 GPH at 3ish feet. That sound OK?

Your overflow can certainly handle that kind of flow...you'll have to experiment to see what happens to water levels in your sump though. That's a small sump, and it needs to compensate for the running volume necessary and the amount in your DT and plumbing lines when you shut off power.

Trying to keep a constant water level in the sump with your skimmer would be good as a start/stop of a return pump and normal evap/ato for that sump volume has a real impact if you don't compartmentalize. My 15h sump is a tight squeeze for everthing, but it is worth the baffles to keep my skimmer going smoothly. I don't know how much room you're skimmer takes and if that's an option, but I also make sure to turn off my skimmer when I turn off my return pump as the DT drains to the sump and goes over the baffles just a wee bit.

I DO like the scape though. Years ago I had more rock than you in a 30g cube and used powerheads....and the tank failed...mostly because of my lighting and partly because of my flow. That was the reason for the words of caution. Sadly, that tank is now just my RODI reservoir. I havne't owned an MP10, but imagine you'll do much better than I did as long as it has clear paths for intake and output.

From my back of the envelope calculations, every inch of water in the tank will be 1.4 gallons. So if the return bulkhead is 2-3 inches below the waterline, I guess we're talking 2.8-4.2 gallons of power outage overflow. A 5G sump doesn't have enough wiggle room for that, but a 12G cube should be good.

On the other hand, if I use a U-tube with an anti-siphon hole at a higher level, the overflow water volume will be much less.

Not sure if I will compartmentalize the sump. Not sure there is enough room. However, my experience with the Tunze Nano Osmolator is that it keeps the water level within a very narrow range.

I really appreciate your comments. It's so good to voice ideas off people after having been out for a while...

The Brown Truck paid me a visit today! I put the tank on a coffee table for now and wanted to see how the rock looked. I'm pretty happy.

P4220005_zps2ea33c11.jpg

P4220009_zpsf37f5ead.jpg

Awesome scape. Look forward to watching this go!

I now have a new found respect for you woodworkers. With a cheap plastic miter saw, a drill, and a power screw driver, I made my stand. I just put the woodfiller in so it's gotta dry before I can sand and stain. What color should I go with? I'm partial to the lower right stain. The upper right actually has more red in real life.

P4240003_zps36a193a2.jpg

P4240004_zpsed3ab2b1.jpg

Update on the Herbie... I'm really bummed because after receiving the overflow box and mocking it up with the bulkheads, it's not going to work because of space limitations. I think the Herbie would just take up too much room. (Yes, you guys told me that :) ) So it's back to Glass-Holes we go.

Have it match with whatever other furniture is in the room...this gives it more of a piece of furniture look other than something made to hold the tank :)

That's what I did anyway...

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, I am so happy that I decided to go with a Herbie overflow. It was a bit more work compared to a glass-holes but it is totally silent. I know this is not front page news, but this is my first Herbie and I am impressed!