Looking for advice on setting up an agressive FOWLR

MBVette

My grouper would just swallow the food and the eel's head all in one bite until the eel would let go of the food.

Now thats a site to see. I guess with the fish I want to have a lion could do it, but I dont think they are that agressive of an eater like a grouper. And then the wrasses could harass the eel while eating but are not capable of full on stealing from the eel like that grouper.

The wrasse is fast and can easily surprise an eel and take the food from his mouth. I have a PVC pipe with an elbow at the end. I put it in the tank and drop the shrimp down it. The eel knows the pipe and goes inside to get his food. The problem is he doesn't swallow it in the pipe but brings it out of the pipe to take it under a rock for eating. Feeding in the evening helps from getting it stolen but feeding during the day keeps the eel more active during the day.

So it sound like it's ok for a Lion and an Eel.

Regarding the eel, I keep reading that they need a tight lid. Why is this so ? They don't try to jump out, do they ?

eels like to get out of a tank, and they will move a lid that just sits on top from what I understand.

sit on top..... and die ?

They hit the floor and they die. But from my understanding you can usually throw they back into the tank and they come back to life a lot

I am pretty sure the eels I see at area LFS are not in tight lid tanks. Anyone has eels in tanks that have a small opening ?

Im looking forward to seeing what goes in this tank. So many tanks are so coral focused that the same 10 or 20 fish types go in.

Is compatibility with a Lion only base on size and speed ? Do we have be been concerned about the fish being stung by the lion ?

Most fish know to stay away from the lionfish so it isn't a concern to me. Just make sure it can't fit into the mouth. I have never had a fish killed by a lionfish spine. I did have a fish killed by a rabbitfish years ago.

About seven years ago I did have a snowflake crawl out of the tank. If you can't do a lid or screen it helps to have the water line slightly lower and make sure the rock work or other things in the tank are low so it can't use them to push off of to get out.

For the record: I'd love to be part of a NC WAMAS diving trip to help catch you a free Lion.

Who's up for a group catch ? :clap:

We can sell them and buy a Gem Tang or two !