seio pumps

Folta

I was considering putting a seio 620 in my tank, as they are only 37 dollars (plus shipping). I was wondering what peoples experiences with them were (if you have a different model, I'd still like to hear your opinion!)

Basically, I feel like my maxijets are too much like a firehouse, and not dispersed enough. However, I'm setting up a 180 gallon tank, and don't want to buy a piece of equipment that I won't be able to put to good use in that tank (taking my time getting it set up, so it will be a while before its all up and going). Current plans for the 180 are tunze streams, however they are quite pricey.. so am trying to figure out different options.

Anyway, if you have any input, lets hear it!

Well.. I dont have any experience with them yet, but I am picking one up on Sunday. I will let you know how it goes. It is a Seio 1100 and it will be going into my 75gallon allong with three other MJ 1200s and the mag 7 on the return. Hope that this won't be too much flow, but we will see. HTH

I was reading a thread on RC about flow, and what is considered 'low flow' 'medium flow' and 'high flow'... quite honestly I never looked at the GPH ratings of the tunzes (just knew they were 'alot'), so now things are starting to click. I had assumed that my maxijet 1200's were putting out 'alot', because it was kinda blowing stuff over. Now that I know more, I see what I need is more dispersed flow.. a 620, 820, 1100, 1500.. I hear there are even 2600's! That would be an inexpensive alternative to the tunzes. I also hear that taam is putting out a controller for them, since the seios don't work correctly on wavemakers.

Yeah a controller would be nice but they have been talking about making one forever and still no controller yet. If I like the 1100 I may end up adding one more and getting rid of two of the MJs. Well see on Sunday how it goes.

Ok. I'd appreciate if you keep me updated on the results.

I'm not sure what model to look at getting. Did you find a good place to get them (ie cheap, but reliable?)

Have you heard anything about the 2600's? I've heard rumors of them, but none of the sites I've checked seems to list them for sale. I also can't figure out what taam's website is, to check there.

The 2600s are nice but they are VERY big! try Marindedepot.com and ThatPetPlace.com they may have them. Dr Fosters and Smith has the 820s and 620s for a fairly good price, but reefgeek.com has great prices as well. What size tank is it going in and what type of corals do u have?

i just got my 620 and it really has a wide stream out of it. One thing i noticed was that it didnt seem as strong as i thought it would be and for some reason i can figure out how to turn the flow up or see if its tuned down. Overall though it works nice!

One thing i noticed was that it didnt seem as strong as i thought it would be

It won't, that's the point laminar flow - about the only way to test it is to shoot some bubbles into the water & watch how far & fast they travel.

Folta,

I have the 620 and the 1100. The 620 is way too small for a 180. I would say go with 1100's or bigger, depending on what you are keeping in the tank (way bigger if you are keeping acros and such). I use my other powerheads to pulse flow. As for the controllers for these I have also heard for a while they were coming out. Frankly, I am not sure how they are going to do this with AC motors. You might also want to consider biting the bullet and getting the Tunze streams if your end goal is really high flow on that size tank.

David

The current application would be in my 55 gallon tank. It will be months before my 180 is ready to move livestock over to (at least, thats what I'm figuring.. still have to figure out plumbing, buy a return pump, a skimmer, the pumps I choose, etc)

Currrently I have a mag 5 as my return from the sump who's return is in the middle of the tank, on the back. The overflow for this is on the left side, but not completely left (really its more on the center of the left side, on the back wall). On the far left I have a maxijet 1200 thats pushing flow foward and towards the center (so slightly to the right). I have another powerhead that I was given, not really sure what it is exactly, but its positioned in the center and its output is going to the left (pointed at a rock that has my tenius, digi's, and a cap), I'll have to check what it is exactly, again, but its about on par with a mj 900 or 600 in terms of size and force. It's output is the same as a MJ in style. On the middle right side I have a HOB jebo skimmer. The pump is in the tank (of course) in the middle, and the return puts water out right above it but directed towards the front of the tank. Lastly, I have another MJ1200 on the right wall of the tank, pointed left. You can see the flow from it reaches past the middle of the tank, to the left side.

I was planning on putting the SEIO where this last MJ pump is, and direct outflow basically the same way. Not sure what I'd do with the MJ1200, maybe relocate it to help get detrius out of the rockwork.

Ok, its sounding like I shouldn't bother with the 620 if I plan to use it later on with the new tank. Is the 2600 released out here? I'm still doing searches to find a place I know more about that sells them..

Oh, as far as livestock - I plan on having more and more sps. I went through the typical phases, so I have xenia, I have shrooms, I have gsp.. I also have a couple hammers, digis, tenius, tort, milli, birds nest.

Rik Leishman is running both Tunze and Seio, I'm hearing good things about them with alot less investment than the Tunze's.

I agree with David - Cabrerad, you need bigger than 1100. Also make a search on google with Seio Pumps... and almost everyone sells them, compare prices but don't forget to add the shipping. There are some specials on two of the web sites I looked.

I've seen Rik's tank. I was very very impressed :)

to clarify, I'm not having trouble finding Seios in general; I can find the 620, 820, 1100, and 1500. I have a hard time finding anything about the 2600's. The few places I have found them, they are barely any more costly than the 1500's.. so If I was going to buy a 1500, I might as well buy the 2600, right?

Also, would these pumps be too much force for my 55? Or will it be fine because of the dispersal?

If I can find the 2600's, and they would work well for both the 55 gallon and the transfer to the 180, I would consider it a good investment (especially if that controller ever comes out).

On the 180, I also plan to run a Sequence Dart to an OceansMotions 4way for the return.

i have 2 820's and 2 2600's in my 125 they are pretty good pumps and a decent cheap alternitave to tunze although i do think they overrate the GPH a little all in all i like them but its probably a good idea to clean them every few months or so. i dont and the 820's tend to lock up sometime but just taked a little tap on the side to get them goping again

i got my 2600's at macna from champion lighting for $75ea

Edited by miller

I don't mind cleaning things. I actually find working on the tank to be relatively relaxing.

$75 sounds like a good price to me, especially since you didn't have to spring for shipping, just tax. Does champion have a website?

I run one 820 and point it directly across my acros and millies it is not too much for them, where as a maxi- jet 1200 would be too strong and not broad enough. I have 4 maxijat 1200's in the tank on a wave maker. I believe they add the sporadic flow and are all behind my rock work so as to not allow dead spots back there. I would concur that the 820 might be over-rated on GPH and would go larger if I were to do it again- My major complaint is that it is the only noticeable pump in my tank - I do not think you could effectively hide it as it's flow is broad but not strong.

Almost forgot,

Kenton and Corey carry the Seio's:

http://aquaticisland.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=8

ah, so just www dot championlighting dot com... I should have done a search, I'm such a lazy bum :P

well, the page started to load.. then it said connection refused, and now won't go. Guess I'll have to try again later.

So, does anyone have any input about a 2600 being too much force in a 55?

I don't mind cleaning things.  I actually find working on the tank to be relatively relaxing.

Well have *I* got a FANTASTIC opportunity for you! Wouldn't you know -- I happen to have aquarum glass panes, acrylic panes, a skimmer, and various other odds and ends that could use someone with your unique talents. I'd even go so far as to offer you the opportunity to swing by once a week to clean to your heart's content! What a deal!! And just to sweeten the pot, I'll only charge you a frag a visit! You can't beat it... get it while the gettin's good.

(BTW; unrelated; I'm doing a 75G to 180 migration soon too)...