seio pumps

Folta

Hahaha!

I don't mind cleaning my tank because I feel like I'm making my tank look better. I am getting something out of it - cleaning other peoples tanks... well thats a whole nother issue =p

Well I picked up the Seio 1100 a little earlier than planned. I took it home and the first project was to mount it Tunze style. I used the method from a thread on RC: Seio Mod

The mod was very simple and no additional parts were needed, except for a drill and a small bit. After completing the mod it was time for a test run. I removed the MJ 1200 that was on the left side of my tank and put the seio in its place. My first gripe was that the power cord should be longer. It was just long enough to make it to the power strip. After turning it on with the flow on its lowest setting it was impressive! NO sand storm, so I decided to crank it up. I turned it on full blast and still no storm. The flow is definatly different than the MJ. Instead of a firehouse flow it is more wide spread. I pointed the 1100 to the front center of the tank and have not one complaint besides the length of its power cord. It is a lot larger than the MJ, but it looks a great deal more professional I should say. I like it. It pushes a hefty amount of water throughout the tank as well. After on about two hours of running I saw bette extension from my SPS corals. I plan to add another 1100 to the right side and remove the remaining MJs (two of them) from the tank. In a 75 gallon I would get a minimum of two of these. If your tank is larger or longer I think you should get no less than a couple of 1500s depending on what type of corals you would like to keep as well as if you decide to go BB, SSB, or DSB. Hope that this mini review helps. I really think for your size tank that you should look at the 2600 and 1500 models. Especially if the tank is more than 4ft long. Have a good one.

Chris, thanks for the review!

I purchased 2 SEIO 2600's today for the 180. I decided that it wasn't worth trying to find something that would work both in the 55 and be as useful in the 180, so I am just getting them straight for the 180. I might do the maxijet mod in the meantime that was also posted on RC.

I got them 64 each, and got a $10 discount since I bought both from the guy (I bought them off of ebay, labeled as NIB, I emailed the guy and spoke with him about them - make sure they were the US versions and not imports, that they were new, etc) By the time they arrive I should have water in the tank to be able to test them out :)

Chris, thanks for the review!

I purchased 2 SEIO 2600's today for the 180. I decided that it wasn't worth trying to find something that would work both in the 55 and be as useful in the 180, so I am just getting them straight for the 180. I might do the maxijet mod in the meantime that was also posted on RC.

I got them 64 each, and got a $10 discount since I bought both from the guy (I bought them off of ebay, labeled as NIB, I emailed the guy and spoke with him about them - make sure they were the US versions and not imports, that they were new, etc) By the time they arrive I should have water in the tank to be able to test them out :)

Soounda good. I am sure that you will love them. they lok very nice in the tank as well. Good luck and let me know how well they work out for you.

Ok, I just bought 2 of the SEIO 620's for my 120g and now I'm thinking that I should have gone with 2 of the 1100's. I am going to have a mag12 running through a SCWD as well and figured a 12-15x turnover would be enough. Should I cancel these and try to get the 820 or the 1100's?

Ok, I just bought 2 of the SEIO 620's for my 120g and now I'm thinking that I should have gone with 2 of the 1100's.  I am going to have a mag12 running through a SCWD as well and figured a 12-15x turnover would be enough.  Should I cancel these and try to get the 820 or the 1100's?

42187[/snapback]

To be honest I really think that you need at least two 1100s the flow from these powerheads is laminar so it is a wide heavy flow. They move high volumes of water in a wider path so it isn't as strong as you would think for the amount of GPH that they are rated for. I think you would need at least two of the 1100s or maybe even 1500s with a 120 gallon depending on what you plan to keep. HTH

Chris,

Is this in addition to the mag12 on a SCWD or without? I'm looking to put these in the back of the tank and flowing forward. I'm going to put the SCWD output at the front of the tank flowing into the rocks. I'm definately going to upgrade to the 1100's but don't know if I should just go for the 1500's.

Thanks.

Well... My first question would be: What type of corals are you going to keep? Why not a larger return. The SCWD is going to eat a lot of your GPH on the return pipe. I don't have much experience with SCWDs, but I have found that out from reading through peoples posts that own them. If I was in your position I would purchase the 1500s, they are only a few bucks more than the 1100s and would give you a little more output. That is my recommendation for a mixed reef. If you plan to go solely SPS or mostly SPS then you would really need to buy the 2600s. JMO Hope this helps.

There are also 2600's as well. They don't seem to be much more (if at all) than the 1500's (I've seen them for sale for 74, I got them NIB off ebay for 64 each, waiting for them to arrive.

I'm a big fan of the SCWD and believe they are a great investment to hook up to your sump returns and closed loops!

Steve, I would use the Mag12 with a set for flow, add a couple of SEIO or Tunze and your good to go along with your Sump Returns.

Howard

Roger that Howard.  I just ordered 2 SEIO M1500's and a SCWD and hopefully will be able to hook up all this weekend.

42245[/snapback]

Keep us posted on how the installation goes.

Does anyone noticed that 1100's tend to lock up when the power gets interrupted? I always have to smack it pretty good to get it going again...

-Rob

Does anyone noticed that 1100's tend to lock up when the power gets interrupted?  I always have to smack it pretty good to get it going again...

-Rob

42247[/snapback]

I performed a power outage test yesterday on mine to see what would happen and everything worked fine when the power was turned back on.