ATI T5 bulb options

Oprah Wrangler

Hello All,

I have a 36" 6-T5 bulb fixture over my 30 breeder DT. I am gonna change the bulbs to ATI bulbs and would like some thoughts on bulb configuration.

I am considering 3 Coral Plus ©, 2 Blue Plus (b), and 1 Purple Plus (p) in the following configuration: ©(b)©(p)(b)©

*yes, Zygote2k, I know that it is light and it will grow things...lol*

What do the rest of ya think?

1 purple, 3 blue plus, 2 aquablue specials. You could change out the aquablue for a coral plus if you want. about a 20K look with those bulbs.

(edited)

Even mix of coral+ and blue+ (3 of each).

Probably a very similiar look to epleeds recommendation. I messed around with blue+, coral+, aqabluespecial, purple+, and true actinic. I ended up with 1:1 ratio of coral+ to blue+

Anything but aquablue special. They are YELLOW bulbs...

Edited by BowieReefer84

(edited)

Personally I like giessemann bulbs better than ATI. They have also released a new bulb color as well.. I just switched out my ATI's and couldnt be happier. I find the colors to be brighter and more crisp. Also, the ATI purple bulbs are JUNK, by the KZ FijiPurple, much better bulb. In my 4 bulb set up i have --- actinic+, aquablue+, Midday (6500k), and a KZ purple. I also bought there new lagoon blue bulb, but havent been over to Quantum to pick it up yet.

Note.. I also like my tank a little bit more on the 12-14k color rather than the 20k..

Edited by trockafella

Maybe your fixture is the problem Trock. My 4 bulb powermodule is BRIGHT! hahahahaha

Best bet is go look at some tanks in person and see what you prefer. Room color and natural light will play an effect on what your eye's see as well.

(edited)

I have 4x39 t5 and was mostly happy with my bulb selection. I went front to back...

P+

B+

C+

B+

..but just recently put a reefbrite strip at the very front and am happier now.

I might suggest the following for you... B+ in slots 1, 2, and 3...C+ in slots 2 and 5. Regardless, buy a couple extra and experiment.

Also, be careful in changing over your bulbs if they aren't very good now...light shock = stress/ burning...ati are high par bulbs relative to many t5

Edited by matt

Maybe your fixture is the problem Trock. My 4 bulb powermodule is BRIGHT! hahahahaha

Best bet is go look at some tanks in person and see what you prefer. Room color and natural light will play an effect on what your eye's see as well.

The ATI units are really nice, but in a non ATI unit I dont care for there bulbs. I agree about room color and natural light as well...

I also have a strip of LEDs in the middle of my unit, but they are 1w bulbs.. It really is personal choice, and thats one of the nice things about T5s are the great selection of bulb colors to mix and match from.

As far the ocean blue color, I would say your looking for a 14K color area..