How often do you clean your mixing containers?

Sharkey18

I'm going to start cleaning mine once a month. I posted about this same thing earlier this morning also after finding Nitrates in my 3 day old saltwater. Reef Crystals is known to leave residue, but I never thought about it effecting anything or causing algae until recently. good luck

I would think that any bacteria that might be in the bag of salt mix would have died before it was diluted with DI water. Seems like the moisture in it would get sucket out and it would cease. If the tank water and salt bucket water share a pump, then i could believe that is where it is getting in, but doesnt it seem unlikely that there is anything still alive in a bag of salt mix?

I would think that any bacteria that might be in the bag of salt mix would have died before it was diluted with DI water. Seems like the moisture in it would get sucket out and it would cease. If the tank water and salt bucket water share a pump, then i could believe that is where it is getting in, but doesnt it seem unlikely that there is anything still alive in a bag of salt mix?

Bacteria and algae can survive dried in salt mix.

If you're cleaning the container with vinegar and don't rinse extremely well, can't that also cause an initial bacteria bloom and subsequent die off during storage? If it's a slimy residue that's being seen...

Ive found both RC and IO do it, RC tends to be worse. I was told it was just precip. I simply wipe out my 5g buckets after each water change, takes no time and the buckets are always clean. I find the longer the mixed water sits, the more film there is... I dont think its a concern.

• 2 weeks later...

I use RC in a 32 gallon brute and have the same percipitation of salt/minerals. I read some where that the red/brown color is from some type of anti-clumping agent, but who knows. I used to clean it frequently, but stopped since i figure whatever percipitates is already in the salt and the "crust" likely helps protect from the plastic leaching stuff into the water. Which is worse I can only speculate... I now clean it out about once a year (I keep it dark and covered and haven't seen any slime buildup).