tank emergency help needed

Huly

Yeah we did that a bunch of times to make sure it was working properly.

So when you did that the control turned on and off?

You should be able to get the sensor in the right amount by just plugging a lamp into the controlled outlet and watching it turn on and off rather than letting it operate the pump. Also, the MJ1200 seems like it pumps too fast. How about a much smaller pump from the reservoir and then make the top part of the tube not go below the surface of the water so it won't siphon back after it shuts off.

look at the tunze ozmolator pump...that thing is about perfect and not very expensive.. pretty sure you can just wire it up to go into the wall but not positive on that....still needs a check vavle but it doesnt pump too fast and my first one ran for many years.

when mine goes out next ill probalby switch to a peristalic but not sure on that,

if you can find a maxijet 600 impeller (old style) i have a the motor body you can have if youd rather go that route.

So when you did that the control turned on and off?

You should be able to get the sensor in the right amount by just plugging a lamp into the controlled outlet and watching it turn on and off rather than letting it operate the pump. Also, the MJ1200 seems like it pumps too fast. How about a much smaller pump from the reservoir and then make the top part of the tube not go below the surface of the water so it won't siphon back after it shuts off.

What would you recommend? Seems like smaller pumps don't have the head I need. My ro/di reservoir sits at the bottom of the tank cabinet. The tank cabinet and the tank combine for a height of about 5 feet.

Yeah we did that a bunch of times to make sure it was working properly.

Is it possible that you accidentally flipped the sensor tube over when moving it on the magnet, and it lost some of its air? This would cause it to have a higher trigger point, until you pull it up and let the water out. If you put the sensor tube in a glass of water, does it trigger the switchbox as it should, where the tip is roughly 1-2" deep?

Is it possible that you accidentally flipped the sensor tube over when moving it on the magnet, and it lost some of its air? This would cause it to have a higher trigger point, until you pull it up and let the water out. If you put the sensor tube in a glass of water, does it trigger the switchbox as it should, where the tip is roughly 1-2" deep?

Nope... Don't even think it is possible for it to flip over in the small area it is in (the sump in the back of RSM's is divided into 1 larger area for protein skimmer and 4 smaller areas for other uses. I have it in the area that houses the weaker sump output pump.

I will test out the glass of water when I get home.

UPDATE: Water level and salinity is good (1.026) and corals/fish seem to be ok.

I have re-hooked up the Avast ATO and I am using the recommended light method. (hooked it up to a light, so it it is off when the water level is good and on when it is low)

I adjusted the tube to the level I desired and the light was off. I then did multiple tests, where I took a bucket and pulled water out and slowly poured it back in.

When pulling water out, the sensor works perfectly (light goes on), however, when all the water was back in, and I expected the light to go out, it never does (even after waiting 5-10 min per attempt). I have made multiple adjustments to the tube level, and water replacement (to turn the light off is just not working well at all).

Anyone have any experience with this?

I have a RSM 130 and have the Avast ATO and use a mp 900. You have to make sure the ato water line is not in the water other wise it will siphon your tank dry! I have mine in the middle section just before where the water dumps i to where the return pumps are! Any questions id be glad to help anyone with the set up! Just PM me!

did you get the back-up float valve with your ATO to prevent siphoning?

I think the siphoning was stupidity on my part by submerging the output (water) tube in the water. I am going to adjust it, so there is air between its opening and the tank water level.

I am still trying to figure out what is up with the sensor (turning off)

I would double check the air tube connection and possibly recut the tubes. If they don't have a good seal they won't turn the pump back off. Might even use some silicone grease or something along those lines on the connection to the black box

Just sounds like when the water level is back where you want it doesn't create enough air pressure to trip the pump off

Try to make sure you have a level/straight cut. And there is no stretch in the tubing to make it wider also you really have to push it on there

did you get the back-up float valve with your ATO to prevent siphoning?

They can't use the back-up float valve on their system....not enough room in the back of the RSM.

I think the siphoning was stupidity on my part by submerging the output (water) tube in the water. I am going to adjust it, so there is air between its opening and the tank water level.

I am still trying to figure out what is up with the sensor (turning off)

I would certainly recommend this method over a check valve....the less mechanical elements involved the lower the chance of failure. Just make sure you properly secure it to the tank so it doesn't fall off the tank as others said or fall further down into the tank allowing a siphon.

The pressure sensor not working right for you though is puzzling. Hopefully Justin or Dan (Avast) will chime back in to let us know if there is some little thing you may be doing that is preventing it from working. I know one thing though....once you got the pressure sensor setup right they work FANTASTIC and reliable. We have never had a problem with either of ours...way better and more reliable than just a standard float.

im putting money on the airline tubing connection to the unit not being secure (im guesing where it goes in to the plug in part) ill be a little air is getting out

and if thats not it id go with something being broken.

That is why we went with AVAST everyone we spoke to said how awesome they are :)

Hmm... Sounds like the relay in the Avast ATO is a digital relay. They are not as reliable as the solenoid based relays as they may not turn off / on when desired. I don't understand the electronics fully (never used them in the lab), but my basic understanding is the pump isn't pulling enough juice to make the relay flip. A simple solution is to put a surge protector between the pump and the relay (I don't know why that works).

So I'd try that and if it still gives you a problem, it's probably a bad relay or sensor.

edit: It *HAS* to be a surge protector. You cannot use a simple power strip.

Edited by Integral9

Why not contact Avast directly? Justin would def be able to figure it out!

Why not contact Avast directly? Justin would def be able to figure it out!

That is next but since we are still so new we want to make sure it is not our error first. This is the first anything we have hooked to our tank.

I don't think it's your error. These are really very simple. Sounds like something is going on with the pressure switch not triggering properly. I will send you out a new one with a return label for the old one. We don't see many problems with them so I definitely want to figure out what is wrong with it.

Justin

I don't think it's your error. These are really very simple. Sounds like something is going on with the pressure switch not triggering properly. I will send you out a new one with a return label for the old one. We don't see many problems with them so I definitely want to figure out what is wrong with it.

Justin

Thanks! We are not SW set up savy yet so we try to make sure it is not us first. We are still learning and it seems like everything is a pain with a Red Sea Max.

I've used a maxi jet as an ATO pump on a RSM130, so it can be done (even on a smaller tank). I preferred to run it through 1/4" icemaker tubing in the end, though, as it moderated the flow. There's something about this particular setup, though, that isn't working. C&C, I'll be back in town Saturday night. Can take a look next week probably if this isn't sorted out then.

(Sent from my phone)