Reef Angel

Spoonman1979

I am considering purchasing a controller for my tank. The Reef Angel seeems like an attractive solution as well as the Neptune system. I like the price and flexibility of the RA but was wondering if anyone in the area used these controllers and the pros and cons of the openended software. I am specifically interested in remote access, vortech control, wifi, battery back-up mode, and future expansion to include CA reactor. I do have some programming experience and good customer service is important. Thanks!

Mine never worked right, you need a laptop to hook up to it anytime you want to change something. It's a pain. Mine had ports that would turn off and never turn back on, or the opposite. He never figured out what was wrong, I tried for almost two months to get the ports to work right. I can't trust something that doesn't work off the bat. If he would have sent me a whole new unit maybe it would have been a better experience but it was a bunch of nights filled with "hey see if this works". the message board is nice but in my situation there was only one person that really knew how to help, and couldn't. I wasted a lot of my time and a lot of my money messing with that thing. I sent it back and cut my losses. Now I don't use any controller at all.

I've been using a Reef Angel for about 3 months now. I've been very happy with it. I control my MP40 with it and as of today my new LED fixtures. I also run dosing pumps and two Koralia pumps. I even built a feeder for my seahorses that it controls.

I've liked it a lot but it is not plug and play, you have to spend a bit of time getting it setup how you want it. Having said that though it is FAR more flexible than any other controller on the market. There are also controller apps for IOS/Andriod and your computer.

either is a good option, they both have good support through online forums or phone. If you are programmer savvy, you may light the RA better. If you like more plug and play then an Apex is very nice. I have an apex and really like it. Very customizable to do what I want. There are plenty of people that have both and like both. As with any piece of equipment, some have difficulties with them. Neptune support has been very good for me as well as their forum on RC.

I use the Reef Angel as well and have yet to find something it cannot do. As stated by the member above you will be more successful if willing to tinker with it and follow the examples on the forum. I'd be happy for you to come to Gaithersburg and see what I am doing with RA. Although I have been in IT my whole career I have never written an independent line of code, everything has been cut, copy, and paste. You will need a close-by computer or a very long USB cable.

I am supporting three tanks, a saltwater mixing station, multiple ph controllers, saltwater monitors, adding dosing, float valves, etc. I am sure other controllers on the market will do these things but I loved the programming and DYI aspect of it.

I appreciate the input! I am probably going to go with the RA due to the DIY part of it. I have been taking some programming classes and should put that knowledge to use. I have been skimming thier forum and it seems like the RA can do everything I could ask and more.