Red Spot Cardinals

wade

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So while SA does look like a good company, with a good philosophy and excellent practices I don't necessarily think that they have found some magic bullet to keeping this species.

Saying just order them from SA and everything will be fine seems to be unrealistic to me.

Did you read the big post ^^^?

I can only tell you from experience that when I ordered Blue Eyes from anywhere else, they died.

The ones that SA sell have been raised in captivity and are not wild caught so the shipping issues don't apply to these fish.

I ordered 12) 2 months ago and they are all present and eating pellets.

I've

• 3 years later...

Bubbling this thread up as I just received an order from DD. The group of five arrived and have been acclimated to my observation tank. Fed nutramar ova twice...all are eating. These are all nice sized 3/4"-1". I'll update thread with progress if anyone is interested.

My last try for these resulted in most arriving dead or dying in the 1st couple of days.

Keep us updated on how they do.. I had 5 from DD a while back... all ate well.. but they slowly died one by one.... I would love to try them again

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Not.to change the subject.. but I have been very pleased with my blue eyed cardinals.. very nice shoal fish

Let us know how it goes for you. The longest I was able to keep any of these guys alive was about a year but it was a slow decline in numbers over that time. I'd love for there to be more information about caring for these, as I really love how they look and act. If I was confident I knew how to take care of these guys I would buy more in a hot second.

Is there any more information about them out there on the web than there was back in 2013? Back then the mention that Divers Den was able to breed and raise them using a very intensive feeding regime was literally about all there was information wise about these guys. Has anything new come up since then?

That was my experience as well... and also couldn't find much information...it's crazy there aren't more accounts of keeping them as they have groups of 5 on DD just about each day... so someone is buying them...

Best info I found was from 2011:

https://reefs.com/2011-1/keeping-the-dwarf-cardinalfish-apogon-parvulus/

They imply that with the right conditions, these fish should do fine in the aquarium.

Slow loss over a year would be bothersome. I know they do best in groups and was planning to get another group of 5 when DD has them again.

I will say, they appear to be very skittish fish and get very stressed when I put my fingers in to feed them. I am hoping they adjust over time like most fish.

The tank they are going to be in has only a mandarin as of now.

That was my experience as well... and also couldn't find much information...it's crazy there aren't more accounts of keeping them as they have groups of 5 on DD just about each day... so someone is buying them...

When information about a species is so hard to find online it's usually because they are dying in our tanks. DD is obviously still breeding them if they are still offering them that often but no one is able to take care of them properly if over the past 4 years there has been virtually no further information about them. I know DD is in a tough position on this one, if they release too much information they risk other breeders cutting into their profits but I REALLY wish they would release at least a little bit of information on caring for them. I think that the Red Spot Cardinals are probably easy to get to breed, when I had them there were two times where I had one carrying eggs and since I eventually lost all of mine they were obviously not thriving.

Like I said, really a shame, they're awesome fish I just think that it is a death sentence for them if you purchase them currently. Unless you plan on making a heroic attempt to keep them healthy and thriving it would be best to let DD keep them.

What's the lifespan of them in the wild? I did some quick searching and couldn't really find anything.

Edited by Bruleyii

That is something else that DD probably has a good idea on but they may be the only ones able to do a long term study on them in captivity to have an idea about their life span.

So who wants to do a black ops ****** and grab on the DD offices to get all of this information? ;)

No issues yet. They are just in an acclimation box in my observation tank. They have been eating well and have started to adjust to being fed. They no longer freak out when top is opened and I give them food.

Added Red Spot Cardinal to DT. 2nd order arrives tomorrow. I hope the next batch are as good as these. These guys are fat and eating well...really thought that one would have expired by now. Excited this has worked out well So far.