New Rainford Goby won't eat

nbgen12

Anyone have any experience with these guys? Ive tried live brine, frozen mysis, jans food and a little squirt of zoo plankton but didn't notice much response at all. I moved him to the fuge so theres no competition for live food and i can easily target it with whatever new food options....

Anyone able to chime in? Im going to try a little microvert and look for shrimo roe at marine scene and see if anything is successful per treesprites suggestion.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

Like I said, the shrimp roe and the microvert. The one I had ate both.

Some people mistakenly say they eat algae and starve these guys to death trying to feed them as if they are algae eaters. They eat the microfauna living in algae, and in the coarse of the picking around, ingest bits of algae. But the algae is not what they are after.

Edited by treesprite

I actually have the Microvert right here. Despite the fact this sounds like it should be really simple, I'm pretty confused on how to feed this stuff to a fish. If you don't mind Forrest, please elaborate a little for me.

Currenty I put the rainford goby into my fuge which is approx 15 gallons of water space with chaeto and a couple small live rocks and about 1.5 inches of sand. I haven't decided to use the 600 gph power head in there for water movement around the chaeto or not, but for now I have it off.

So, I can assume I'm target feeding, but this guy is pretty timid and is also new the the aquarium. I can get my hand in there but as soon as I'm about 8-10" away he darts to the rock. Do I squirt the Microvert into where he's hiding? Should I target it into the chaeto? Squirt onto the little chaeto bits on the sand bed? Onto the actual sand bed, or in the sand bed since he sifts sand? This stuff disperses so fast I don't know how the Rainford could get any of it even though my fuge is low flow with the koralia off.

Also, do you have any link to the shrimp roe food you used?

(edited)

Rak, I've only had him a few days, but he's a little on the skinny side so I want to get him eating as best as I can, but I don't want to pollute the tank too much just blasting different foods and the guy. They are also notorious for not eating pellets, flakes, frozen, or some live foods.

Edited by nbgen12

I used a syringe for the microvert, and squirted it as close to where the fish could see it as possible. If there is macroalgae in the way, you will have to move it when you are trying to feed him that way. The shrimp roe is a frozen food; it's probably ok for that to be on the macroalgae, since these fish pick through algae to find food.

Nutramar Ova prawn roe. It should be with other packets of frozen foods. I get it from Aquarium One, which is probably too far for you. Call around to your more local places and ask if they have it.

I actually fed with the nutrimar ova on the second day to no avail but i will try it again now that a couple more days have passed. Ill cut off the flow for 15 minutes to makes sure the rainford has an opportunity to get to it and see how it goes....

If it were me, I'd try two things.

1) Live Tisbe biminiensis copepods (AlgaGen). These are harpacticoids which means that they live on sand and rock (benthic). The goby should pick at those in the 'fuge. Plus they won't pollute your tank. I've seen them at most of our LFS.

2) Live amphipods. A bit larger and also beneficial and benthic. I get mine from reefs2go and they are cost-effective and ship fairly quickly.

Good luck.

If it were me, I'd try two things.

1) Live Tisbe biminiensis copepods (AlgaGen). These are harpacticoids which means that they live on sand and rock (benthic). The goby should pick at those in the 'fuge. Plus they won't pollute your tank. I've seen them at most of our LFS.

2) Live amphipods. A bit larger and also beneficial and benthic. I get mine from reefs2go and they are cost-effective and ship fairly quickly.

Good luck.

Ill see what I can do. I bought reef nutrition tigger pods which are very small and may be similar to what you mentioned first.

I have a bunch of different pods in there at this point but we will see what happens with a little more time....

Ill see what I can do. I bought reef nutrition tigger pods which are very small and may be similar to what you mentioned first.

I have a bunch of different pods in there at this point but we will see what happens with a little more time....

If it is going to eat, it will eat live copepods and amphipods.

Edited by jaddc

The one I got from BRK ate Dainichi Marine FX Baby Pellet Fish Food, that I also got at BRK.

Once the pellets hit the sand he would come along a few minutes later when they softened up a little and suck them up with a mouth full of sand and filter them out.

Also, if your tank is well established he will sift mouthfulls of sand for anything it finds edible.

Ive put a little food in with him but never seen him go for any at any point. He must be eating something i dont see, because hes not as skinny.

look at it's mouth. the mouth is very similar to a Mandarin. this means it's more than likely a pod eater.

if it's wild caught, it will most likely only eat pods.

if it's a captive reared fish, it might eat artificial foods, but it's better suited to eating pods.

(edited)

I have it in the fuge so you're probably right. Im still surprised it won't turn it's head for the nutrimar ova....

I have plenty of microfauna in there so hopefully it continues to fatten up so i can toss that cool looking fish back in my DT.

Edited by nbgen12

How is the little guy doing? Have you tried the frozen cyclopeeze? They are small pods that seem to be accepted easily for small mouthed fish.

Still pretty skinny Dave. I've tried feeding nutrimar ova, microvert, jans food, live brine, 0.5 mm new life spectrum pellets, and it doesn't seem to have any interest in any of it. I added tigger pods to the fuge I have him in, but they are so small it would be tough to tell if he's snacking on them or not. I have some freeze dried cyclopeeze, but may have to go grab the frozen stuff and give both a shot and see what happens.

I do see him periodically picking at stuff on the rocks but cant really tell what it is.

Let me know if you want to try some of the frozen cyclopeeze - I still have a bar of it that takes forever to go through. You're welcome to stop by and grab a chunk.

Thanks for the offer Ron. I'm actually heading over to Dave's this weekend to grab a little from him along with a couple wrasses, so I should be good to go. Hopefully the little guy will cooperate and wolf down a little cyclopeeze.

(edited)
how is your copepod and amphipod population?

It is quite healthy in both the DT and the fuge. I also added a bottle of tigger pods and got a shipment of pods and other microfauna from IPSF to add to the tank last weekend.

Like I mentioned, I have seen him picking a little something off the rocks here and there, but I cant see whatever it is he's eating. It could be the tigger pods because they are tiny. I would feel better if he would eat at least something I drop into the fuge for him lol

Edited by nbgen12

Do you have sand? Mine used to sift through sand for stuff.

Yep ive got plenty in there which has been established for about 8 months. It definitely sifts through a little sand in the fuge. I put about 50% of the food on the sand and the rest on the rocks.

Im contemplating putting it back in the dt where there is more sand. Ill see how it goes over the next week and make the switch if it might be better. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't competing with the melanarus for pods, but maybe it won't make a difference...

leave it in the fuge where it can get food easier and doesn't have to compete with another fish for the same stuff.

That was my original thoughts. I'll just keep on the current path and see how things go in the coming weeks.