Snails!

howaboutme

Got my CUC's in yesterday, snails from BRK and wow! I didn't realize how much Turbo's poop! Sorry if I sound like a child but they are my first critter's and it's pretty exciting.

Also, is it normal to always need to go into the tank the flip your margarita snails? They always seem to find themselves upside down and not able to right themselves.

My margaritas are helpless as well. They do a good job cleaning, but I probably won't buy more when I refresh my CUC. Currently they are just supplying shells for some of my larger hermits (which I also vow to no longer buy).

...wow! I didn't realize how much Turbo's poop! Sorry if I sound like a child ...

:laugh: Actually, more like a brand new parent!

:laugh: Actually, more like a brand new parent!

Yes, you're probably right.

And..geez..one margarita is again on its back. I may have to see how it does on it's own. I mean, what if this was the ocean? Is a hand going to come down and help right them? :wacko:

Yes, you're probably right.

And..geez..one margarita is again on its back. I may have to see how it does on it's own. I mean, what if this was the ocean? Is a hand going to come down and help right them? :wacko:

Yes. A good dad would do just that. :clap:

Well...it righted itself as I was about to stick my hand in again..Yeah for it.

Now...How to not be stressed when I see a few of them at the surface of the water....(please stay in, please stay in, please stay in) :eek:

Looks like you will be staying in every night unless you find a snail sitter...could get expensive.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Looks like you will be staying in every night unless you find a snail sitter...could get expensive.

I already have one. She's my wife (SAHM) and she's not exactly smiling at me now.

They should not be on their backs. That is a bad sign. Truly, margaritas are a poor snail for a reef or similar tank because they are a temperate species. Tank temps below 68-70 degrees max are needed to keep them well and 50-60 is ideal. Yours are probably falling on their backs because their metabolisms are in overdrive or they are tumbling over because they are trying to crawl out of your tank. If they do happen to fall, they should be able to right themselves rather quickly.

They should not be on their backs. That is a bad sign. Truly, margaritas are a poor snail for a reef or similar tank because they are a temperate species. Tank temps below 68-70 degrees max are needed to keep them well and 50-60 is ideal. Yours are probably falling on their backs because their metabolisms are in overdrive or they are tumbling over because they are trying to crawl out of your tank. If they do happen to fall, they should be able to right themselves rather quickly.

Ok, this is something new to me. I appreciate you giving me a heads up. In your experience, will they acclimate? I have my tank at around 78.3 to 78.5 deg. I don't see them trying to get out, though a lot of the snails in general go up and down the tank. They are falling, from what I am guessing since I don't actually see it, because they loose suction when upside down on a rock. That's just my guess. What's their chance of survival or success in this environment? Seems like they are quite popular regardless.

Thanks.

They'll survive, but probably no longer than a year. I think we often accept that snails will not live for very long in our systems but one can thrive for years. I've got some 4-5 year old nassarious and cerith snails in my tank right now.

I would not worry. I had snails live in 20 degree weather for a few days. I had some in the sand and went outside to see them make their way to the top and live. The only thing I have seen really hurt snails is hermit crabs and ammonia. Also when a snail dies if your CUC is good it will simply feed the others.

Also when a snail dies if your CUC is good it will simply feed the others.

Newbie question...Will the other snails or cuc members eat the dead snail fast enough before an ammonia spike? If I see a dead snail, I'd be worried about keeping them in the tank for fear of an ammonia spike. Thanks.

A good clean up crew can dispose of a body often times before you even realize something's missing.

A good clean up crew can dispose of a body often times before you even realize something's missing.

Wow! Really? So....is it wrong of me to want to see this in action?

Wow! Really? So....is it wrong of me to want to see this in action?

wait until you see it on your favorite fish.. it's not so entertaining

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

wait until you see it on your favorite fish.. it's not so entertaining

Um yeah..good point.