reaquascape?

kjamaya

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Go to the link on post #8. Even if you don't read a sentence, you will get some great ideas from pictures of the amazing scapes.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

Go to the link on post #8. Even if you don't read a sentence, you will get some great ideas from pictures of the amazing scapes.

Lol I read it all and thought I did what they recommended but I guess it. Lol

Lol its all good. In my opinion, the rock scape appears roughly the same height along the whole tank, making it symmetrical, with no breaks in the rock structure. It kind of creates the rock wall effect which is ok if you like it.

What to aim for is a rock structure with one side higher than the other, and totally asymmetrical. Make a

gap or two in the rock structure so the sand is visible from front to back.

If you want to mimic the reef central thread, is follow the rule of thirds. This is a concept from art/photography which helps you create focal points. Look at the first post on the reef central thread with a diagram for the rule of thirds.

Either way, if you like it stick with it. I bet you will accidentally create the aquascape you like down the road if you have to start moving rock to catch a fish or do some cleaning of the sand. Thats what happened with mine last week despite me having put in a lot of effort on my first scape. I started throwing rocks around trying to catch a sleeping groggy fish and left the rocks overnight. When i looked at it in the morning, I was pretty pleased with my purely accidental creation, which took no thought or tactic.

nix the heaters and the frag racks. pare down the corals to the ones that you want to thrive. place them according to lighting and flow needs and it will start to come together.

I agree with this. If your corals look happy the rest of the tank will be too (for the most part). That's the biggest thing I worry about when moving any rocks.

I also liked the original a lot, but I think you are heading in a good direction.

Since I am interested in lots of space for coral growth, I want two things:

1) Water space for the corals to grow into and

2) horizontal space to place corals on

I think you need horizontal space so that as many frags / colonies have access to light as possible. With a straight up wall it limits the number of corals that clear access to light.

I agree that the new scape needs a focal point. I am struggling with the same thing in my tank. Everything is the same height...

But I think with a few small changes to what you have it could be very awesome.

I definitely like what you're doing over there....youll probably keep moving things for a while but that looks 100x better IMO.

What are you trying to accomplish with your aquascape.? Each time it looks very different, which tells me you dont really have a direction, youre just kinda throwing it together.. I think you need to find a few (similar) aquascapes you really like and then make a plan on how to get your that way. Personally this is why i like to aquascape dry rocks, but in this case as with many others its not an option.. You need to find yourself some inspiration to work from. Reefcentral has a great aquascape thread.. There are a few members on here who have truly nice aquascapes... This one has always been one of mine.. http://wamas.org/forums/topic/20999-my-90g-rimless-starphire-tank/page__st__75

I really really think you just need a direction and take your time. You can also use some tools to help. You can make use things like PVC in so many ways. You can build a PVC cube and work the rocks around and on top of it to give yourself some sweet caves, you can make towers with PVC, making higher elevated structures, add some branch rock to those and you have limbs.. So many possibilities.. Keep in mind what you wanna stock, fish and coral.. What would work best for them as well.. Ultimately its what you like, and all of us have different tastes, but try to find something that will look nice and be functional..

I think it looks pretty good. I would just connect the small and middle groups of rocks w/ something like a bridge. Actually, it kind of reminds me of my aquascape but at a different scale (mine is only a 29). I did 3 mounds and connected each of them with different rocks creating a sloping effect, which you have.

I suspect all of this attention might be making it more complicated than it really is. I think you're doing fine. Good luck.

The attention is great because it gives me ideas? I will change the scape later tonight the more I look at my work the more I dislike it... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Love it.

How are you attaching the rocks to each other w/ all of this movement? Just gravity?

I like this one! It's like a hybrid of the other two! How do YOU feel about it?

Ok. I stared at it a little longer still, and I just noticed the caves and bridges on the left structure, and now:

Love it.

Edited by YHSublime

Love it.

How are you attaching the rocks to each other w/ all of this movement? Just gravity?

Everything is gravity. Of course I did the 360 movement to ensure that nothing wiggles and everything pieced together like legos. The left structure right side is entirely flat top. These pieces I bought at BRK a while back and they fit together like a glove.

Thanks every1 for the input I am really liking the new scape and believe that I will keep it like so.